Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Update on my Center Channel build
Gr8_White_North #370932 03/25/12 06:48 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It is an automotive repair shop. its really dusty here,makes it hard to do what im doin right now. Very time consuming stuff,especially with no experience to speak of. Havent done this since graded 10 . I like doing it but can be frustrating when you mess up. I will not use water base again until we consume or outlaw every last drop of oil . ive tried it twice now just doest work like the goood ol kemichal stuff.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #370943 03/25/12 09:43 PM
devotee
devotee
Hey Socketman

Fantastic workmanship. Are you taking orders yet. Put me down for one. Heck I'm even willing to pay ya.... ah ah a nickel an hour. I figure that's more than you're paying yourself I bet. But of coarse for that kind of money, I'll expect you to pick up the freight. Again looks great Congrats.

With out Jesus Christ there can be no Redemption or Salvation.
Gr8_White_North #370965 03/26/12 01:31 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks gary for your kind words. The next one will be better. And yah ,i could build one for ya but i dont work for less than .07/hr .

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #371003 03/26/12 04:04 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A pic of the second coat of clear satin. the fluorescent lights really raise hell with the camera.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #371004 03/26/12 04:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now, I am just a dummy who does not know how to do anything...but do you want to keep the finish out of the speaker recesses so they don't build up a mm or 2? Or are they clear and it is just hard to tell.

M3 and
M80
Lampshade #371020 03/26/12 05:43 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
Now, I am just a dummy who does not know how to do anything...but do you want to keep the finish out of the speaker recesses so they don't build up a mm or 2? Or are they clear and it is just hard to tell.

The clear goes on so thin there wont be much buildup and there is plenty of room so i dont expect any interference. I used a dremel to make the holes so they are not as accurate as i had wanted.I now have a router and will use that the next time.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #371058 03/26/12 03:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Socketman
It is an automotive repair shop. its really dusty here,makes it hard to do what im doin right now. Very time consuming stuff,especially with no experience to speak of. Havent done this since graded 10 . I like doing it but can be frustrating when you mess up. I will not use water base again until we consume or outlaw every last drop of oil . ive tried it twice now just doest work like the goood ol kemichal stuff.

On a 1-10 scale, I've never been graded a 10 at anything, so you must have been excellent! Sure looks like it.

Finishing is a whole separate thing. Some pro furniture makers hate it so much (or see it as unrelated to their work as "sculptors"), that there is a whole world out there of pro finishers who do new work only (no RE-finishing).

Waterbased or water-borne (not the same thing), everything dries so fast that it's hard to avoid lap marks or undo them once they're there. Water-clean-up clear finishes do not self-level very well, so application marks are a bitch. They exist mainly for two things right now; spraying (catalyzed water-borne) or keeping the true color of light woods or pickled woods. They can lend a blue overtone to dark woods and their durablity is far less than poly-based finishes.

They keep improving, and, maybe one day, their long-overdue promises will be fulfilled. For now, if you do it again and you have to use water-?, look online for the super-expensive ones--Minwax oil is great, Minwax water sucks. The good water ones (Waterlox, General Finishes, Campbell, et al) are 2-4 times the cost of Minwax and the difference is worth all of it, though still not as all-around good as polys. Wipe-on oil poly changed my life.

Still, it appears that you overcame, 'cause the results look pissah!

[/quote]

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #371128 03/27/12 02:17 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Sorry bought the spelling i didnt get very good graded's in english, plus my mind is faster than my hands. High strung lol. I went and got Varathane professional oil based. It self levels, dries a bit slower. Im still spraying it. I want a couple more coats. Still having issues with the odd run,i keep bumping one of the knobs on my hvlp gun and it lets out too much product. I have sprayed a bit on cars, but this is a whole new ball of wax.Should get it right by the time im all done.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #371130 03/27/12 02:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Richard, so far the speaker looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the final product.

You could open up your own enclosure workshop for the DIY crowd?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #371139 03/27/12 03:15 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Richard, so far the speaker looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the final product.

You could open up your own enclosure workshop for the DIY crowd?

Like bob said, you start doing something for money and its then work and no longer fun. Things like this are kinda like a bucket list. Just things i want to do maybe a few times . I mostly did it for my sanity.

Few more days before the reassembly , then i will post one last pic . Then i can start doing my measurements. I am building a different crossover with higher grade components to see if i can hear a difference, and or measure a difference.This is not to say i am unhappy with how it sounds now.Just ongoing research in my quest for knowledge and understanding.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020