Print Thread
Rate Thread
Video scaler?
#371666 03/31/12 04:00 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I am going to go look at an integra processor tomorrow... However, i was just thinking about getting a video processor instead of an entire processor... I like the processor that i currently have, it just doesn't have HDMI...

DVDO has been a fairly popular budget video scaler for as long as i can remember... I would want to stay under about 2k$ for a video scaler.... Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about video scalers, John?

My sources will be
oppo BD 83, maybe a 95 if i decide to upgrade...
some cable company, depending on where i am living...
Maybe an apple tv, for netflix..?

Re: Video scaler?
dakkon #371678 03/31/12 12:56 PM
shareholder in the making
It's not John, it's Mike.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
dakkon #371687 03/31/12 04:44 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I use them. I've gone through several DVDO's and currently use an Edge for one of my systems. I use a Lumagen Radiance XS for the HT. I would stick to the Radiance or consider a DVDO Duo. Either machine allows you to perform advanced video calibration. The Radiance is much, much more advanced between the two, but you can do some nice tweaking with Duo. And if you buy Chroma Pure bundled with the i1 Display Pro III, you can sit back and hit the "auto-cal" button and in about ten minutes, you're done. http://www.chromapure.com/default.asp

Lumagen definitely has DVDO kicked to the curb with regards to customer service and firmware updates. They generally have an update about every other week.

There's a lot to these machines, so if you have any specific questions, that would be much easier for me to respond to than just rambling.

dakkon #371689 03/31/12 05:18 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Would the Lumagen be worth while for a non projector display, such as a plasma LED ect? I am not sure if i will set my projector up again... I have an older 720P projector... but since I am not quite sure where i will be living, i dont know what room constraints i may have to deal with, and a flat panel is much more forgiving.....

Ken.C #371690 03/31/12 05:19 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
It's not John, it's Mike.

I mentioned John, because he seems to read everything related to HT....

dakkon #371695 03/31/12 06:59 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Would the Lumagen be worth while for a non projector display, such as a plasma LED ect? I am not sure if i will set my projector up again... I have an older 720P projector... but since I am not quite sure where i will be living, i dont know what room constraints i may have to deal with, and a flat panel is much more forgiving.....

That depends on your expectations. The Lumagen does an amazing job with SD up conversion, and you can calibrate your display with it. But it is an expensive toy, so the pay back might not be worth it to you, especially if you do not sit right up close to a large display. I also use mine with an anamorphic lens and constant image height set up, so it gets double duty in my HT. The DVDO Edge is also a great machine and does a wonderful job at scaling. It may be a better option for your TV. Out of all of them I've used, the Radiance does a better job at scaling and SD up converstion. It also has the best noise reduction.

Re: Video scaler?http://www.hometheater.com/conten
dakkon #371748 04/01/12 01:28 AM
Alex, it's good that I didn't see your question last night, since any answer I would have attempted would have paled in comparison with Mike's knowledge in this area.

I'll add that if you do decide to get the Integra processor instead of a separate video processor, you should note the test of the 80.3 here where they were especially impressed with the new HQV Vida video processing. It may be that any slight edge the best separate video processor might still have over this wouldn't be visible on your setup.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

dakkon #371751 04/01/12 03:06 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yeah, John... I'm quite torn as to what to do.... I REALLY like my current processor... and buying a whole new processor means that i wouldn't get to use the one i currently have... Or move it to the bedroom.....

The video scaler was a way for me to keep my current processor and get the added video benefits of new technology...

Does anyone know if there are any significant upcoming audio options, that would make the purchase of a new processor more worth while than my initial idea, right now i am using all analog, for video and audio both.

Starpower is a local Integra dealer, they said that the 80.3 is 2,500$.. i think i may be able to get them down some though, on a side note my current processor is selling for about 2,000$ on flebay/audigon, so my real cost would only be about 500$.... Starpower is about 10-15 miles away, i plan on going to check them out at some point in the near future...

dakkon #371778 04/01/12 05:29 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have to admit that I've been pretty damn impressed by the 4311 I just got. It's VP side is not on par with the Radiance XS, but I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. And while I'm still torn on the whole Height/Wide speaker usage, there are times when I really enjoy it (times I hate it too). If my room was big enough to actually have a need for wide speakers, I suspect I'd really love them. So yes, I believe there is good reason to move from analog to the 4311, as it is the only processor that will allow use of ALL 11.2 channels (with two external amps). If you get the urge to buy one, you can find them for $1200 at an authorized dealer, so don't pay more than that.

dakkon #371783 04/01/12 05:57 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: dakkon
I am going to go look at an integra processor tomorrow... However, i was just thinking about getting a video processor instead of an entire processor... I like the processor that i currently have, it just doesn't have HDMI...

DVDO has been a fairly popular budget video scaler for as long as i can remember... I would want to stay under about 2k$ for a video scaler.... Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about video scalers, John?

My sources will be
oppo BD 83, maybe a 95 if i decide to upgrade...
some cable company, depending on where i am living...
Maybe an apple tv, for netflix..?

I would concur with others in that the Lumagen is the best in the business today. One important note is that you can now buy what they call a "Lumagen Radiance Mini" 3D which is designed to operate between an AVR/Pre-Pro. It doesn't have the inputs and outputs that the XS and XE do but when it operates between the AVR and the monitor, you really don't need them anyway. It has pretty well all the features of the others including a very sophisticated software system including a complete 21 point grayscale and Color Management system along with built in test patterns which, if you desire, can do some pretty sophisticated calibrations on your monitor and the video scaling is unprecedented. You won't find anything close to this in performance on any AVR/Pre-Pro regardless of price.

It is only about $300-400 more($1500) than the DVDO Duo with a much longer shelf life capability, many more features, and has been already stated, better support. I don't have the direct link but check out "Curtpalme.Com" and you will get a price better than ordering it directly from Lumagen. They seem to have very few resellers.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044