Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: IEM evaluation
Wid #313173 07/02/10 10:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the reply. Estimated delivery date from amazon is July 8th.. woohoo!

-David
terzaghi #313702 07/08/10 02:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My HF5's came in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, I am out of town until tomorrow so I haven't had an opportunity to give them a listen yet. After I have had an opportunity to listen to them for a few hours or more I will let everyone know what I think of them.

-David
Re: IEM evaluation (ETY HF5 review)
terzaghi #313925 07/10/10 12:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
After 5 or more hours of listening today and yesterday here are my impressions of the HF5's:

The HF5's came packaged with 4 different ear tips. It included a small and standard flanged tip, a foam tip the shape of a cylinder, and a semicircular foamy/ rubbery tip. I am using the smaller flange tip with them as the larger flange tip seemed to be a bit too large. I never bothered with the other two tips since I found a comfortable tip that seals well. These things provide AMAZING noise reduction from the outside world. It is just like a pair of earplugs that play music. This has both its pros and cons... I was able to focus at work without any outside noises from coworkers which was nice. However, My computer faces away from my office entrance and I could not hear anyone that was trying to talk to me, even with the volume super low. I plan to get a small mirror to hang above my monitor so I can see people who come in to talk to me. There is some cable noise for sure when moving around but I don't find it overly distracting. I was able to wear them during my workout without too much problem, but having the ears sealed wasn't very comfortable when lifting heavy weight.

The HF5's sound very good and are a definite step up from the supplied iphone earbuds I have been using. Music is straight forward with an excellent midrange. Lows are nice and tight and not the least bit over emphasized. The highs are decent, but these definitely sound a little "laid back" compared to my Axiom M80's.. not in a horrible way but they are missing the "livenliness" that I get from my axioms for sure. Cymbals aren't as crisp and clear, but vocals and acoustic guitar are perfect.

Overall, I am very pleased with these earphones. They seal extremely well in my ears and are pretty darn comfortable to me. I would say these get me at least halfway or more to the sound of my m80's at about a tenth of the cost, and in an extremely portable version. I would recommend these to anyone in the market for IEMs at the approximate $100 price point. Hearing how good these sound does have me chasing for something even better but I'm afraid that I'd need to venture into the $300+ price range for that.

Last edited by terzaghi; 07/10/10 12:52 AM.

-David
terzaghi #313932 07/10/10 01:45 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Nice, glad you enjoy them as much as I do.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

terzaghi #372724 04/10/12 03:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I would say these get me at least halfway or more to the sound of my m80's at about a tenth of the cost, and in an extremely portable version.

I came here to update my review of the HF5's and re-read what I had put here.

I think what I meant to say in the above quote, is that these get me at least halfway to what I imagine my m80's would sound like in a Portable version... if that makes any sense. I was already discounting certain aspects of the m80's due to it being a tower speaker (soundstage, low frequency presence, mid bass thump, etc. when I was comparing the two.

In any event, the update to my review:

I am still happy with the HF5’s but had to get a warranty replacement due to the fact that my cable had frayed near the plug in. The replacement had a red-designed plug in (curved, thicker). After one year, the cable is now splitting near the plug in again.

Fortunately, I have until June until my 2 year warranty is up, so I will send in for one more replacement next month. We’ll see how long the next replacement will last…

-David
terzaghi #372738 04/10/12 05:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
So I started looking at other options and am somewhat undecided now frown

I read some reviews of people stating that the cable frays easily near the plug...

Guess these reviews were right!

-David
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082