Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
all AMP'S sound the same
#375119 05/04/12 03:11 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Where does everyone stand on this one. Seems of late , to be a real push by a few select people to convince the populus that this is indeed the gospel.Again and again richard clark's name surfaces in these arguments. I wouldn't really care but these pundits will jump on almost any thread with the word amp in it.

Some people believe in santa, i dont but hey i still celebrate christmas. I happen to beleive not all amps are created equal and i own an external. Recievers are built to a price point,corners have to be cut somewhere.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: all AMP'S sound the same
Gr8_White_North #375120 05/04/12 03:13 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Nothing good can come of this. Let's talk about God, instead.

Gr8_White_North #375121 05/04/12 03:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Obama 2012!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Gr8_White_North #375123 05/04/12 03:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Eating SPIDERS?

Gr8_White_North #375124 05/04/12 03:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When I'm not derailing threads (stay thisty, my friends), I usually sit on the sidelines on big audio debates such as this because there's always more informed people to defer to. I'm happy to pop some corn and read what the elders have to say.

That said, I will offer that I did not notice a significant difference between my Outlaw Audio 990/7125 preamp/amp combo, which I bought for $2000 in 2006 and the Onkyo 370 receiver that I bought for around $500 last year.

Gr8_White_North #375125 05/04/12 03:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Socketman
Where does everyone stand on this one. Seems of late , to be a real push by a few select people to convince the populus that this is indeed the gospel.Again and again richard clark's name surfaces in these arguments. I wouldn't really care but these pundits will jump on almost any thread with the word amp in it.

Some people believe in santa, i dont but hey i still celebrate christmas. I happen to beleive not all amps are created equal and i own an external. Recievers are built to a price point,corners have to be cut somewhere.

It's impossible for all amps to "sound the same" or every amp sounding identical. Amps are very complex and they can be different from one another. No two amps will measure the same (amp design goes beyond power rates and providing a flat frequency response). Amps are not as simple as other components or easy to quantify in the chain than things like speaker wire/interconnects which just work off a few basic electric principles.

I think we can all agree that speakers are at the top of the chain when it comes to components that can make the most difference.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #375127 05/04/12 03:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
I think we can all agree that speakers are at the top of the chain when it comes to components that can make the most difference.

Good point. That's where to focus the audio dollar to get the best return on investment.

medic8r #375131 05/04/12 04:14 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
i value your opinion, no matter which way you lean.Personally i may have heard difference myself,or maybe i just wanted to.
I know these threads are inflammatory,not what im after here. Lets just stay on track , were not here ot change minds just to get insight. I doubt i could hear a difference under blind test situation. Now if i came home and someone had changed out my amp without my knowledge i suspect i could tell, maybe, i think possibly. lol

pioneer spent a lot of money haveing its sc57's sound tailored by an independant lab. Not sure how this was done,or done by dsp but it sounded more like by design to me.

Last edited by Socketman; 05/04/12 04:17 PM.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
BlueJays1 #375133 05/04/12 04:19 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Socketman

It's impossible for all amps to "sound the same" or every amp sounding identical. Amps are very complex and they can be different from one another. No two amps will measure the same (amp design goes beyond power rates and providing a flat frequency response). Amps are not as simple as other components or easy to quantify in the chain than things like speaker wire/interconnects which just work off a few basic electric principles.

Absolutely,the amp is last thing i would go for with regards to changeing how my system sounds. Once settled on my speaker of choice though somethings gotta go. lol

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #375134 05/04/12 04:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Until recently, i was of the opinion that all solid state amps sounded the same "to me" while the following is true
No two amps will measure the same

I will say, i don't think that the human ear can distinguish between to amp designs that are similar...

With that being said, since my most recent addition the new addition is a Krell FPB300cx,
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373836&page=1
I was able to hear a difference between this amp and my previous amp. The amp that the new one is currently replacing is in the photo with the pair of amps.. Both amps are Class A amps, and manufactured by the same company, they also have the exact same gain... The new one was manufactured 10 years after the old one, so it is a newer design....But, i dont think there have been many ground breaking changes in Class A amp design in the last 10 years.

Below is what i said after i had some time to listen to my M60's with the new amps in the system, my opinions have not changed since originally writing the below statements.
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Until now i have been of the opinion that solid state amps pretty much all sound the same... Well, i think i have changed my mind about that.... With the 300 in the system, it sounds AMAZING... i think it is much better than when the 250a was powering the M60's... The 300 is the 3rd amp that has powered my M60's, i started with a Marantz MM9000 which i liked and still use in my bed room system. Then i went to the 250a, the 250a had a considerable amount more power than the Marantz amp did, but i did not really notice any difference in the "sound". Now that the 300 is powering the 60's, they do "sound" different in a way. The 300 is capable of producing WAY more power than the 60's would ever need. However, i think the design of the 300 allows it to be more transparent, the power supply is fully balanced as well as both channels of amplification, i am also using XLR interconnects. I think it is an intangible quality that audio reviewers attempt to describe with fancy words. I am going to just leave it at, i think my M60's sound smoother and the most natural that my they have ever sounded.

Last edited by dakkon; 05/04/12 04:23 PM.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters