Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 45 of 95 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #374200 04/25/12 12:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Always exciting when new stuff gets delivered!

Did you find a solution for the velvet screen edging?

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
nickbuol #374262 04/25/12 08:28 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I am not going to bother with the velvet screen edge. I am building a frame that the screen material will wrap around, and then it will be surrounded by black acoustically transparent panels that will be my "edge" for now. Then, down the road, I will come up with something... Maybe... It has dropped pretty low on my priority list due to cost/time. I need to get this room done and a million other things in the basement need to be squared away for a massive graduation party for my oldest that happens 1 month from tomorrow (26th of May). I've got a pinball machine to "dust off", a MAME arcade that needs put back together, pachinko machine to get set up, foosball and air hockey are easy ones. I need to finish taking stuff out of the dining room (temp office for a year), down to the real office and move the dining room stuff in, and reset the kitchen eat-in area. There is yardwork to do, a garage to clear out and clean (at least a bunch of it goes INTO the house), a bunch of touch-up painting, baseboard trim, shelves in the storage closet, bathroom closet, and bedroom closet, plus all of the theater stuff yet.

Wow, that is a long list. I guess my 2am bedtime is still in effect. 6:30 am wake-up comes early...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #374368 04/26/12 01:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The details never seem to end, do they? I 'finished' my basement about 3 years ago - about the same time I bought my Axioms - but there are still many things to do. Trim on certain areas, but waiting to put shelves up 1st which in turn was waiting on network reconfiguration and termination, still have a shower to put in even though the rest of the bathroom is done etc...

For the screen, were you able to order 'oversize' material to give you the extra to stretch around the frame to leave you with the desired finished screen size?

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
nickbuol #374403 04/26/12 04:52 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The screen material doesn't have a lot of stretch to it since it is a woven AT material, but I have a huge 98" x 12' roll of it. The "limiter" is actually the 12' length. It is enough for a 165" 1.78:1 screen and I would still have a strip of 18"x12' left over.

While my projector doesn't produce moire, I am still going to put the screen on the frame at an angle and wrap around the back. This will prevent moire with any other projector in the future. So I will still have plenty to wrap around the back.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #374406 04/26/12 04:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick...

When you were sound deadening your room, did you ever consider using 3/4" plywood instead of drywall? I haven't done any research on this subject.. Again, just piggybacking on your research wink

nickbuol #374409 04/26/12 05:27 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
There are a couple of options there. One is thick plywood and then cover it all with fabric panels, another is to use the plywood as the first layer and then drywall over that. I've seen that done from time to time and the added mass of the plywood is nice, but there is a BIG price jump from say a $5 sheet of 5/8" drywall and a 3/4" sheet if plywood. The cheap plywood has voids in the layers and wants to curl on the edges and corners even after attaching to the studs. Plus drywall is heavy enough, but I can carry a 4x8 sheet of 5/8" drywall (with plenty of effort of course), but a 3/4" sheet of plywood is just dang heavy. I struggled with that when building my seating riser.

So yes, if you can pay the price for the material and the price on your back/arms, it will help. It just takes more efforts all around to cut/trim/etc as well.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #374777 04/30/12 09:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
PICTURES COMING LATER THIS WEEK!!

We had 20 people staying at our house this weekend, so I put some of the guys to work building a screen frame, and helping to get the false wall assembled. Well, we didn't get as far as hoped, but progress was made. The frame is done waiting for the screen material to be attached, and the main pieces for the false wall are sub-assembled and painted. I am in Denver today and part of tomorrow, and then in Little Rock for a couple of days before heading back home. I will get the screen up and on the false wall for sure this week, and with any luck, I will also get my bass traps and the rest of the front wall treated.

I also managed to find the small box that held my T-brackets for my original QS8s, so they got mounted this weekend. I also put in a temporary equipment rack. I need to order dimmers and some fabric to cover the yet-to-be-made panels that will go around the screen on the false wall, as well as cover the acoustical treatments on the front wall. Maybe I will order that yet today. I just should have figured out how much I needed for the false wall...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #374781 04/30/12 09:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

We had 20 people staying at our house this weekend, so I put some of the guys to work building a screen frame, and helping to get the false wall assembled. Well, we didn't get as far as hoped, but progress was made.

This always happens when i have buddies help... We never make it as far as i think we should either... This is because they are over helping on their "day off"...

nickbuol #374783 04/30/12 09:45 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Part of it is also the amount of time I spent explaining what I wanted to do... I still very much appreciated the help though.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #375202 05/05/12 06:05 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Coming later today (it is 12:45 am here) I will be posting some pictures. I already snapped them, but I can't find the cable to connect to my camera. I WILL find it after I get some sleep.

Anyway, I spent a huge chunk of time building the bass traps and front wall treatment today. It all started with a trip to the fabric store.

I had a couple of 50% coupons, so I got the black cotton fabric that covered the whole acoustic treatments (traps and wall) in a nice wide 108" "roll"...

For the bass traps, I had done a TON of research, and yes, you can do like what other have done and cut out Owens Corning 703 or 705 and make superchunk traps that have the dimensions of 17" x 17" x 24" on the edges, or use some other materials, like the denim insulation in the same triangular dimensions, however it gets compressed under its own weight and can end up costing almost as much as the OC703 once it compresses itself. Plus the denim insulation is nearly impossible to cut with anything but a toothless diamond blade for an angle grinder or circular saw. So more and more research yielded that if I went deeper (and wider) with the bass traps, I could stuff the corners with regular R-30 insulation (pink or yellow stuff that is really cheap)... I like the sound of cheap.

So I put up some 2x2's on the wall that were 24" from the corner. This was going to yield essentially a 24" x 24" x 34" triangular area from floor to ceiling. A decent amount deeper, but I had the space.

So I debated on how I wanted to fill the space. I could cut triangles out of the insulation, but the insulation would compress just like the denim, so instead, I went with the 15" wide R-30 and "hung" it from under the soffits. I was able to hang 2 full pieces (full = 15" wide x 10" thick), and then I took a 3rd piece, cut it into 2 pieces. One piece about 5" wide, and the other 10" wide. I took the smaller one and filled in a spot where the corner was tapering and took the wider one, and put it right in the middle of the front "face". This filled the corner nicely. I wasn't sure how well the fabric would hold the insulation from bulging too much, so I took some good ol' chicken wire, and put that on the front face to allow me to sort of hold it back. Not quite as "clean" as if I used the rigid stuff like the OC703, but this was going behind a false wall, so I wasn't too concerned.

I build up the other side, and then made a large framed section for the rest of the wall. I wanted to cover it with the 3.5" thick denim insulation, but needed to build some sort of structure to it. Probably overkill, but I basically framed up a whole other wall, attached it to the ceiling and used a couple of bracket to hold the bottom in place, filled the cavities with the insulation, and then it was time to cover everything.

So since the fabric was wide enough to go floor to ceiling in one shot, I just lined it up, and started stapling away. Oh, I bought an air stapler. WAY faster than using my electric one, and every staple went in perfectly. No more mis-fires or needing to hammer them in like with the electric stapler.

OK. So the acoustical part is done for the front wall, on to the screen. Staple, staple, staple, and a little while later, the screen material is on the frame. I used some metal French Cleats that I bought at home depot to hang it, so I put them on. I also got the main part of the false wall lined up, assembled together, attached to the ceiling and the floor, and the screen hung.

Wow does the image look SO much better (obviously) than the brown textured wall.

So I have pictures of all of that that I need to get off of the camera.

The "biggies" left to do in the theater are:
*) Make and hang the black panels for around the screen (finish the false wall).
*) Put in my Lutron Maestro IR dimmers.
*) Put up the crown molding.
*) Install the color changing LED rope lighting.
*) Connect the bass shakers to the seats and wire them up.
*) Put up baseboard trim.
*) Install the star ceiling.
*) Calibrate the audio.
*) Calibrate the video.
*) Cover up part of the step lights as they cast a LOT of light onto the screen as well as into the peripheral vision of people in the 2nd row.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 45 of 95 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020