Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 39 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 38 39
Re: Fitness Thread
Ya_basta #334106 01/10/11 09:34 PM
shareholder in the making
What? Bovine milk causes osteoporosis? May I see the data that helped you reach this conclusion?

If you cite the fact that countries where milk consumption is much lower than the US tend to have lower rates of osteoporosis (which is true), you must remember that correlation is not causation. Lifestyle, diet, and genetic differences cannot be ignored.

I've read about this and I'm not really seeing a hard link. It's true that milk is totally unnecessary for good health, but to pass on unverified claims is irresponsible.

SRoode #334108 01/10/11 09:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: bridgman
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Can I stop by and use your juicer to make onion juice for sliders ?

You sure can, bud; come on over smile . One caveat-you have to give me one are two of them!

Originally Posted By: SRoode
Cam - You have a couple of options for the protein powder with limited activity. The Whey protein I use is very low in calories (60g of protein and only 260 calories). It's Optimun Nutrition Pro Complex. Also, you can opt for a Casein based protein which takes twice as long as Whey based protein to digest. It's the protein that I take at night for a constant slow absorption while I'm inactive, 24g of protein and only 120 calories. It's Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein. Both of the products are linked on my Bodyspace page.

Scott, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look for a protein supplement with less calories. Surprisingly enough, I've honestly never considered getting protein powder with the least amount of calories, which would obviously be best for me.

Regarding casein, I highly recommend that everyone steers clear of it. Casein is a naturally occurring protein found in milk from mammals, and is used as a bonding agent in many foods and products such as paint, cosmetics, and all types of adhesives. It's the protein in cow's milk that's widely believed to cause osteoporosis, as it leaches calcium from our bones.

I'm not being critical of your suggestion, but rather concerned for your health or others that may consume it; especially in such large quantities. There's lots of information that expounds on the negative effects of casein. It just warrants some serious consideration, that's all.

Last edited by wheelz999; 01/10/11 09:53 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #334111 01/10/11 10:20 PM
Cam, I'd also like to warn you about taking too many supplements. Studies have shown that some antioxidants, when isolated from the whole foods they come from, cease to work at all. In some cases, they can even increase your cancer risk.

This piece by Michael Pollan is eye-opening. It's long, but worth reading.

pmbuko #334112 01/10/11 10:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
What? Bovine milk causes osteoporosis? May I see the data that helped you reach this conclusion?

If you cite the fact that countries where milk consumption is much lower than the US tend to have lower rates of osteoporosis (which is true), you must remember that correlation is not causation. Lifestyle, diet, and genetic differences cannot be ignored.

I've read about this and I'm not really seeing a hard link. It's true that milk is totally unnecessary for good health, but to pass on unverified claims is irresponsible.

Peter, unfortunately I was writing up my reply well you posted. As you'll see in my post above, I did say that it's "widely believed", and that it warrants some consideration.

Here's one study that I pulled up in a pinch- link .

On another note, it's generally accepted that the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest diet, or one of the healthiest diets that you can follow. I don't know if you would consider this as fact, but if you apply the same standards that you aforementioned - "you must remember that correlation is not causation. Lifestyle, diet, and genetic differences cannot be ignored.", then it would wholly discredit any data collected on the advantage of the Mediterranean diet, no?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
pmbuko #334113 01/10/11 10:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Cam, I'd also like to warn you about taking too many supplements. Studies have shown that some antioxidants, when isolated from the whole foods they come from, cease to work at all. In some cases, they can even increase your cancer risk.

This piece by Michael Pollan is eye-opening. It's long, but worth reading.

I'll definitely give that a read, Peter; thanks. I have a huge respect for Michael Pollan (and you smile ) and his work.

Ya_basta #334116 01/10/11 11:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just read this lengthy article. Although casein isn't explicitly mentioned, it does say milk.

grunt #337555 02/08/11 07:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thought I’d bump this thread with an update since I’m 7 weeks in to this 8 week cycle, might push it farther if I’m still making strength gains in my Dead Lift, Squat or Bench.

Good news is that I’ve gained 9lbs, however at the inevitable cost of a little more body fat.

So far my gains are:

Chest +3.5”
Shoulders +1.5”
Neck +1”
Thighs +1”
Upper Arms +.75”
Hips +.5”
Forearms no change
Calves no change

I got increases about where I expected based on my exercise selection. Though several of the exercises Dead Lift, Squat and Calf Raises target my legs I made smaller gains there because of running hills I never lost that much from when I use to lift before.

Although this program is designed more on building muscle mass than just strength my main lifts are improving:

Dead Lift 285 lbs x 10
Full Squat 235 lbs x 5
Flat Bench 180 x 10

I’d like to hit 300, 250 and 200 in those lifts respectively before starting a new cycle so I may extend this one past 8 weeks.

Most of the gains in my chest measurement are actually from my upper back as my Pecs suck as do my Arms. My next cycle will focus more on developing these lagging areas now that I’m building up a base to work from and can see where the “big” lifts just aren’t helping.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Ya_basta #337560 02/08/11 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As an update, I've really been enjoying my early AM workouts 3x/week. I've been able to gradually increase my weights/resistance and am definitely gaining muscle in the chest and arms. My legs were already plenty big, but they are leaner and stronger. Haven't dropped any pants sizes yet, but the pants that were too tight are now loose. I'm down about an inch on the belt.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #337563 02/08/11 07:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's funny - I clicked "Who's Online" and saw that you were reading this thread, so I decided to update. I saw a patient and then later submitted my post before reading yours. Consider mine the Cliff's Notes version, ha.

Seeing your regimen made me want to share mine, and reflect on my progress. These are my exercises, with (starting weight, lb) and current weight, on Cybex/LifeFitness equipment, in the order that I do them, in groups of three "supersets":

Leg Press (190) 280
Bench press (130) 200
Row (60) 120

Leg Extension (110) 195
Shoulder press (40) 65
Torso rotation (30) 60

Leg curl (60) 100
Tricep extension (50) 90
Bicep Curl (50) 90

Two sets of each, most still at 15 reps, except bench at 10 reps each.

Again, it's turned into a real treat, some "me" time to start the day.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #337631 02/09/11 06:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very nice progress you’ve made there and good exercise selection and order. I love doing supersets and started my present cycle that way. It’s a real time saver. However, as the weights have gotten heavier for me I’ve had to stop doing super sets and concentrate on each exercise individually.

For my next cycle I plan to keep doing the major exercises but will add in some isolation exercises for my lagging body parts, mainly my arms which are just pathetic. My back sure is getting big from the Dead Lifts though. smile

Lets keep this thread alive and maybe we can get others to join in.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 17 of 39 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 38 39

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters