Rate Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Re: The Daily Gripe
nickbuol #405411 06/11/14 07:11 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I confess that I've never Texted, Sexted, Tweeted, Twittered, Twattled or whatever in a car or out.

I don't even carry a cell phone 99.9% of the time. It is the lowest end free one with no data plan that the phone company gave us.

I mostly dislike phones of all kinds as most conversations in my life seem to be unimportant, unending telemarketing or needless chit chat. Furthermore, phones have an uncanny habit of ringing at the most inopportune time (use your imagination) & far too often interrupt my afternoon nap.

I do believe that I'm becoming a grumpy old phart...

TAM

nickbuol #405415 06/11/14 07:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Have TAM and Ray ever been seen in the same room at the same time?

Spooky channeling of one of our other grumpy old men.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
exlabdriver #405416 06/11/14 07:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
I confess that I've never Texted, Sexted, Tweeted, Twittered, Twattled or whatever in a car or out.

I don't even carry a cell phone 99.9% of the time. It is the lowest end free one with no data plan that the phone company gave us.

I mostly dislike phones of all kinds as most conversations in my life seem to be unimportant, unending telemarketing or needless chit chat. Furthermore, phones have an uncanny habit of ringing at the most inopportune time (use your imagination) & far too often interrupt my afternoon nap.

TAM

TAM, After reading your first thoughts, I arrived at your last and LOL'd as if it had come straight from the Department of Redundancy Department.

FYI, only the French spell "fart," "phart," so, at first, I didn't know what you meant.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
exlabdriver #405417 06/11/14 07:26 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite

TAM

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S5, but find that I use it for a lot of things that have nothing to do with phone calls.

With that said, if I could have it my way, I would not have a cell phone at all. I have been too accessible to too many years.

Being in professional IT for over 20 years, I have had to carry some sort of pager, cell phone, or other electronic device so that I can be at someone's beck and call. I hate that. At any given moment (usually when on vacation, in bed sleeping, etc) someone in some other time zone will call my cell phone for something that is not critical. Or they will text me because they are too lazy to call my office phone just to tell me that they are running late or are sick... This tends to happen by someone on the east coast when I happen to be in Los Angeles for work and it is like 3:30am. Thanks for waking me up to tell me something that I don't need to do anything about or can't help with. To top it off, these are people that KNOW (or at least have been told) that I am traveling or that I am on vacation.

I did discover last night that my Galaxy S5 does have a privacy mode where I can turn off all calls/texts during certain times. I think that I am going to do that when I am on vacation now. Maybe I will turn it on from the moment that I leave the office until I get back to the office the next time I am on vacation. Yeah.... I should do that.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
BobKay #405418 06/11/14 07:28 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BobKay

TAM

TAM, After reading your first thoughts, I arrived at your last and LOL'd as if it had come straight from the Department of Redundancy Department.

FYI, only the French spell "fart," "phart," so, at first, I didn't know what you meant.

Maybe it is like "fat" vs "phat"... Where "fat" is an insult, and "phat" is a compliment...

So you could tell someone, "Man, you smell like an ripe fart." and be insulting, or "Man, you smell like a ripe phart." and mean a cool/pleasant smell...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #405420 06/11/14 07:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Try working it into your conversations and let us know how that works out for ya.

nickbuol #405422 06/11/14 07:45 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Instead of using a 'bad word', I thought that I would camouflage it with an alternate spelling; however, I didn't know that it was French, ha!

For most of my long Air Force career it seemed that I was forever on pager or had to be near a phone of some kind. When I retired a decade ago, I gleefully cut that string...

TAM

exlabdriver #405439 06/12/14 03:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
TAM, sorry, but someone should have told you. I don't know any French, except for art terminology. I do, however, make jokes about it whenever the opportunity arises.

When Texas is allowed to conduct all of its business and have all of its signage in Spanish, I will turn my attention there.

Like anyone needs Texas to do anything MORE than they already do to separate themselves. The Texas GOP just approved that advocating for voluntary homosexual change therapy be included in their official party platform. Boy, what a gift for Dems. The American Psychiatric Association took it off their list of "conditions" in the mid- 1970's! It is illegal in NY and CA for anyone under 18 to be made to endure change therapy. Well, at least Texans are still speaking English, sort of.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
nickbuol #405457 06/13/14 03:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Daily gripe: I got excited when I heard there was a new Broadway musical called Fly by Night, but then I realized it's not based on the 1975 Rush album!

nickbuol #405463 06/13/14 04:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Daily Gripe: Please choose one.....

1. How could the beloved Millennium Falcon go and injure Harrison Ford after all those years? I'm assuming it was justifiably upset over Cowboys & Aliens.

2. Why is the guy who works at City Hall here and sports a mullet, allowed to be thier spokesman on TV?

3. How come I can't get no Tang round here????

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters