Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 95 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #369476 03/13/12 04:28 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I remember when I was about 15 years old and my parents (ok, my dad, my 2 uncles, and I) built a large deck. I mean, this thing is HUGE. Anyway, there is a section about 15 feet wide where the deck has a curved section that bows out similar to that stage design. That wood was a B17CH to get curved, and that was with the piece being wet for a couple of days and half as thick as the rest of the frame. Obviously, it was 2 pieces thick when done.

Anyway, these folks (and MANY others) are doing it with two thinner pieces of plywood. I've heard that some are doing two .5" thick pieces, and some people are doing a combo of two or three .25" thick pieces.

I plan to do that method. Obviously being thinner, the plywood wouldn't need (nor would you want it) to be wet.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #369493 03/13/12 11:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wet plywood = toxic goo !!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
nickbuol #369623 03/14/12 05:38 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Drywall mudder/taper finished fixing things tonight, that meant more dry time and more primer. Managed to get everything primed, and then worked on the ceiling white. Got that done in all of the rooms (except for the theater which will have a different color).

We also got the bathroom walls, office walls, and game closet walls done. The color of the paint is definately darker than the paint chip. I know to account for it being a littler darker, but this is several shades darker. Not sure if we will still put it in the rest of the basement, or somehow lighten it up. We have about 4 gallons of it left (bought a 5 gallon bucket of it).

With any luck, tomorrow my wife will start in the home theater as the primer will be dried for sure in there.

Can't wait.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #369776 03/15/12 05:55 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So we started painting the theater tonight. You can't tell from the picture, but the ceiling is a nice rich and dark brown. The walls are still primer as we ended up putting a second coat of white ceiling paint everywhere (I thought that the primer would have helped, but I guess not much). We also did some second coats in the office and game closet on the walls.

Anyway, that isn't why I am posting. I marked off and put up some masking tape up to mark the *maximum* screen sizes I could go with physically. I am not saying that I will go this big, but I wanted to see what it looks like.

Below are two pictures of the front wall. Keep in mind that I need to build the stage and false wall yet, so this is just for visual purposes only.

I could go with a 2.35 or 1.78 (HDTV) size. Going with the same maximum width (I don't want to extend under the soffits as the projector image could get "clipped"). The width is 126", so that yields a 137" diagonal 2.35:1 (wide for blockbuster movies), or 145" diagonal for HDTV format. Exact dimensions are:

2.35:1 - 126" wide x 54" tall
1.78:1 - 126" wide x 72" tall

With the 1.78:1 *IF* it was that big, even with a riser for the second row, the bottom of the screen will be partially blocked by people in the front row. This is a limitation due to the low ceiling (7'9" in the theater room). The 2.35:1 doesn't have this problem.

I was sold on the 2.35:1 for a long time since we will watch probably 95% movies, maybe 2% TV, and 3% XBox gaming, but now I am wondering about movies like The Dark Knight and Transformers that switch aspect rations mid-movie. I would miss out on the effect of the IMAX portion of movies like those.

Again, not going by screen size alone since this size would be somewhat at the upper limit of my projector when paired with a 1.2 gain AT screen that I want (It wouldn't be a problem with a higher gain at all), I am torn as to what to do. The screen will be DIY for sure, and the fabric will cost the same since it comes in 92" widths which will become my height and then I will buy 126" plus several extra inches for wrapping around my frame if I went with something this big.

So do I just go with the 1.78:1 and know that for a majority of the time when there is 4 or less people in the room that things will be just fine, and it is only when a lot of people are over and watching something in 1.78:1 like maybe the Superbowl or something, then the bottom would be obscured for the back row.

Thoughts? Opinions?

For those that like to play around with it, here is an awesome projector calculator. Again, select JVC RS45, 1.2 gain screen, and a throw distance of about 18 feet.
http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/

Oh, and I don't care about 3D.

Here are the pictures.

And one with my 13 year old daughter standing up front. She is tall for her age. Not sure how tall though, but at least it is something for some sort of reference.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #369794 03/15/12 02:47 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
IDIOTS IDIOTS EVERYWHERE! Running is futile, because you can never escape!

Outside of the drywall mudder/taper issues (I was "fixing" things even last night), I get a call 5 minutes ago that the shipping company is AT MY HOUSE with my theater seats... I am at work. They were SCHEDULED for this afternoon, not 9:30 AM!!!

Oh, and I have meetings all morning and can't leave.

My wife and kids are home because of spring break, but they got back late from Chicago (3:00 am) and we all still sleeping.

"Sorry honey, but you need to get up. Some strange man will be at the door to unload 8 theater seats. Good luck!"

Yea, even though it isn't my fault, I will hear about this one BIG time!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #369799 03/15/12 03:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I almost think i would have told the driver to return at the SCHEDULED time..... and called a supervisor or something.... regardless of having to wake the wife up... They probably blew through their deliveries and figure ah. What the hell.... Or you guys were loaded last, so of COURSE you need to be unloaded first regardless of the specific time you put for delivery..

Sorry nick, shit like this REALLY pisses me off... i am the type of person who expects someone to be where they said they were going to be WHEN they said they would be there...

You should stop on you way home and buy flowers and chocolates, on the card you could put, "i am sorry for the retard that could not read the scheduled delivery time"... (my standard recommendation for all of you married guys! smile )

nickbuol #369800 03/15/12 04:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
To give flowers when you did something wrong is to my mind the following things:

a) intimate that your wife can be bought off with flowers

and/or

b) intimate that every time you gave her flowers, you did something wrong.

Neither of which are great ideas.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
nickbuol #369802 03/15/12 04:34 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Of course, significant box damage to 2 of the seats with interior damage to the seats (oh joy) and two other boxes with small punctures that don't seem to have damaged the inside. I am heading home in about 30 minutes to see for myself.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #369803 03/15/12 04:59 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Bummerama about the seats.

I am of the opinion that you should have the biggest futhermucking screen you can possibly have, which is indisputably 1.78. While you might THINK you're going to be watching a lot of 2.35 content (movies), you also might start watching "more" television-related content, at which point you're not going to be getting all the image you can.

But my opinion is clearly influenced by my own viewing habits, so do what you want. Go ahead and "decide" on one or the other, and live with that decision for a week or so before you do anything about the money, etc. involved. If you have regrets or doubts, try on the other option for size.

But, you know, 'merica. Go big AND go home.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
nickbuol #369808 03/15/12 05:21 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I am concerned a little bit that going 1.78:1 will mean that I will need to decrease the overall size, this making the 2.35:1 viewing material even smaller (when displayed on a "better sized" (smaller) 1.78:1. I mean, I still need to build a stage under the screen.

Unless I scrap that whole idea of a stage and make just a floor to ceiling screen wall. I guess that would be cheaper as I wouldn't need to build a monster stage filled with sand (my back hurts already thinking about hauling it). I could build some solid platforms behind the screen for the speakers to sit on, but that would be a lot less work (and again, materials) than a full stage that only the front would be seen. The subs could reside on the floor with a DIY dampening pad (I've seen places sell these things for like $100 each which is just really thick plywood on top of some dense and grooved foam just resting on the floor. Hard to describe. It would also keep the carpet costs down. If I wanted a "stage" look later, I could build a faux stage that is really just the front part, cover it myself with a black carpet, and just set it (with minor securing) in front of the screen bottom.

Hmmmm...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 36 of 95 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082