Andrew #407123 09/10/14 06:36 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I don't have any valuable feedback at the moment, but I'll just say, wow, that's ambitious, and I could certainly see taking advantage of this platform.

Re: Designing The Axiom Airplay Speaker
Amie #407130 09/10/14 11:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Andrew, I think you've stunned everyone into silence.

I'm with Charles, "ambitious" is what came to mind. Y'all are nerds.

I think that (unlike Ray), I may have reached the point in my life where technology has become sufficiently difficult to keep up with that I don't try as hard to do so. And there is so much paradigm shifting!

So, I guess the key question for me is, literally, how do you work this thing? I get the part about flinging stuff from my mobile device to the speakers - that part makes sense. What I'm having a hard time understanding is how to control playback when the content resides on a USB drive, NAS, etc. That whole "web based GUI" thing - and using it from a mobile device - is going to tell the tale for me.

I also don't really understand this:
Quote:
Wireless WiFi hotspot for use outdoors and anywhere that a WiFi network is not available.

Does this mean that even when I can't connect my AxiomPlay and my iPad (for instance) to the same wireless network that I will still be able to connect them to each other via wifi?

Good luck. Can't wait to see what you guys do next.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #407134 09/11/14 04:50 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
So, I guess the key question for me is, literally, how do you work this thing? I get the part about flinging stuff from my mobile device to the speakers - that part makes sense. What I'm having a hard time understanding is how to control playback when the content resides on a USB drive, NAS, etc. That whole "web based GUI" thing - and using it from a mobile device - is going to tell the tale for me.

Yeah, I think we'll all have a lot more to say when we see fuller explanations and maybe even videos of the products in action. Right now it's almost like there are too many possibilities, so it would be great to have a taste of something concrete. Curb stomp me!

Andrew #407146 09/11/14 07:46 PM
Wow! That's quite a feature list! I am impressed.

tomtuttle #407147 09/11/14 07:48 PM
I also don't really understand this:
Quote:
Wireless WiFi hotspot for use outdoors and anywhere that a WiFi network is not available.

Does this mean that even when I can't connect my AxiomPlay and my iPad (for instance) to the same wireless network that I will still be able to connect them to each other via wifi?

That's what I'm assuming. If you take it to a picnic, you won't necessarily have a network available, so the AxiomPlay device can create its own which your phone/pad can then join.

tomtuttle #407154 09/12/14 06:49 AM
C
CV Offline
C
That whole "web based GUI" thing - and using it from a mobile device - is going to tell the tale for me.

I'm particularly curious about this piece of the puzzle. This seems like something that could make or break the experience, and I think it's probably the piece that will inspire the greatest amount of feedback. Useful feedback? I'm not sure, but I'm sure I'll speak up about what will make it better for me, specifically. Ha ha.

Amie #407157 09/12/14 12:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm liking it so far. It's just what I need. Kudos for not falling into the "only-i am good enough" trap! (Hey, can I copy-write that quote?)

Charles is likely correct. The GUI will make it or break it. I love betas and I'm willing to try early model software/hardware that needs improvement if (big if) it brings me something cutting edge. However, the mass market is often won over by 'ease of use'.

Will the device software be open source, allowing 'those who can,' to develop alternative controller Apps? Having someone develop a possibly even better App that shows up all of a sudden on Google Play or iTunes, is not a bad thing and can actually promote sales. I'm assuming that if your control app is web based, it will be easy to reverse engineer in any case.

I did not expect to see portable hot spot capability. Nice touch! I could use one of those tonight as I try to squeeze in one last bonfire for the season. My firepit is just beyond range of my house WLAN and we could use some quiet tunes for when the guitar folk get tired.

Tom, I will gladly come and set up your device for expenses and beer.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #407194 09/14/14 02:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Murph

Charles is likely correct. The GUI will make it or break it.

And stability.
Although Sonos recently updated their GUI and frankly it is less efficient than the previous one, the big thing is STABILITY.
When the system goes down, usually due to so many factors it makes getting the system running again one serious pain in the a$$.
Problems solving Sonos over time:
  • Windows Firewall (even though i have it turned off)
  • Installed firewall (Zonealarm- system works with it off, sometimes blocks when it is on, but won't block if i start ZA after Sonos system is running....???)
  • Router dropping IP addresses of Sonos components so they can't connect to the network (requires Sonos controller reset and sometimes a router power off and on)
  • Baby monitors (even the neighbor's) seriously blocks signal
  • If the app is running on another device while troubleshooting, you can't figure out why things still aren't working.
  • All peripherals and tablets must be updated to current versions of software and firmware or you get a headache trying to figure out why one unit connects and another doesn't.
  • Occasional and unexplained dropouts of the media folders connected from the NAS or central computer.
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/14/14 02:44 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #407195 09/14/14 05:22 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I always have issues with wireless anything, but for me, if the hard-wired options of ethernet and USB function correctly, I'll be happy.

Amie #407247 09/16/14 11:19 AM
local
local
Whole home audio, too! Very cool!

Need any beta testers? I have an existing wired and wifi network in my house with a file and multimedia server, laptops, tablets, and both Android and iPhone/iPad devices in my house. Not to mention two sets (so far) of Axiom speakers...

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters