Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Re: Designing The Axiom Airplay Speaker
Cohesion #406362 07/28/14 12:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: cohesion
something that might not have been a prototype for the new Wireless whatever-it-is

One of my favorite Dilbert quotes.

"I don't know what that is but that looks like a great one of those."

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #406543 08/13/14 11:42 AM
devotee
devotee
I'm really looking forward to the Axiom Airplay... In the interim there was a local deal spilling the Pioneer A3 DLNA speakers cheap, and FYI here is my first impressions a posted on the JRiver Media Center site:

Quote:
Just arrived and setup. First impressions:
- Easy to setup with a wired connection first, then configured the wireless from Its web page
- Updated Firware just fine
- Works on Wireless just fine
- Supports LCPM @ 2ch at 44.1 or 48hz (setup a profile in MC and associted it with the speaker)

Audio quality is "OK". Certainly not a high fidelity box, more of a small room or workshop quality as it gets quite boomy at high volumes (and you need that to get reasonable sound pressure levels... and even then it will never fill a large space).... but this is what I would expect from a $125 setup.

I've not had a chance to test how it goes with Sync in a multi room setup (I've had all sorts of probs with mutltiple devices getting out of sync).

There is also a Android (and iOS) app but why bother, as remotes like Gizmo/EOS controls it all.

Verdict? For A$125 (US$110) it is a great buy as you get
- DLNA Connectivity to MC & Control from Remote Apps (Gizmo, EOS etc)
- Battery Operated
- Wired / Wireless Support
- Acceptable sound quality for casual listening.

The original price was $400... and at that price point it would be overpriced.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Amie #406704 08/20/14 01:47 AM
devotee
devotee
Chirp Chirp...

PeachTree 65se, PeachTree D5 and SVS SB1000 - Stereo
M80s, M22s, SVS PB3000

Amie #406902 08/29/14 11:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Originally Posted By: Amie
Here's your chance to help us design the perfect speaker! We think there is a need on the market today for a pair of audiophile-quality Airplay-enabled speakers, for people who like both great sound and easy-to-use products.

We're intrigued by the possibility of creating an Airplay Speaker that allows for easy interfacing with an iTunes account running anywhere on your home network.

We’ve been tossing ideas around internally, but we would really love to hear what you are looking for in a networked speaker. Do you think it's enough to be Airplay-enabled only, or do you think Android is where it's at and that we need to look at a speaker solution that supports both MAC and Android operating systems? What about Bluetooth?

How important is portability to you? Is it enough to have a pair of speakers you could just plug into a wall outlet anywhere in the range of your Wifi network that would stream music from your iTunes, or do you want something with a battery pack so that you can take it outside with you?

Stereo, or single speaker solution?

We’d love to hear your thoughts – help us design the perfect speaker!

I'm not familiar with Airplay but I am interested in a portable unit with Axiom branding, are there any tidbits you can share while we wait?
You must be (hopefully) very busy with sales, I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Blair

Amie #407082 09/08/14 03:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I was ready to buy a portable solution this summer for my deck. My wife wasn't ready for Algonquins as there are none to few inconspicuous places to put them. It's also a harsh environment with a north or nor east wind bringing a ton of salt spray that eats away at, well, everything.

I was hopefully holding out for an Axiom solution I could support but the summer is waning. Hopefully by next spring there will be something to try out as I'll probably break down and get something else. This summer was crazy so there was a reprieve.

It will be a tough market though as there are a lot of options now so hopefully they are planning something worth the wait.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #407098 09/09/14 12:53 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Murph,

I think you will find it was worth the wait. We will be posting some further information on the Axiom Play wireless platform later today or tomorrow for everyone's input.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Amie #407099 09/09/14 01:33 PM
shareholder in the making
Contractually required to wait until after the Apple event, eh? wink

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Amie #407100 09/09/14 02:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'd prefer one with a fish tank front with some guppies swimming around in it.

Amie #407104 09/09/14 03:16 PM
Brian, your cats have signed onto your Axiom account again.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ian #407117 09/10/14 03:18 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
AxiomPlay Wireless Platform

We are finally far enough along with our hardware and firmware prototyping to begin outlining and discussing our new AxiomPlay wireless platform. The term platform is important as our plan is to employ this new technology within a number of different systems from an all-in-one single speaker system with battery power that can be used both indoors and outdoors to active desktop speakers, stereo pre-amps, and a module that can be installed during production in any of our existing speaker models. We will be starting with the bookshelf models and adding the others as we make the necessary circuitry to employ higher powered amplifiers. The current amplifier is 75 watts RMS per channel.

Much of our time over the past year (or two) was dedicated to evaluating and assessing the various systems already in the marketplace and the streaming technologies available. As many of you know, we originally intended to design a dedicated Airplay speaker, which would use a specific hardware platform. Our research suggested that this would be far too limiting for most people, many of whom do not own iDevices and prefer Android and other platforms. Thus began a search for how best to offer the widest range of device compatibility. At the end of all this work, and looking forward to the potential for new technologies, we decided that a fixed hardware system would be too limiting and decided to use an SoC (system on chip) based microcomputer to perform the various streaming and interface functions. Strapped to this embedded system is a high-quality, stereo DAC (digital to analog converter) capable of native playback up to 24bit/192kHz.

Now, without further ado, here is the current feature list:

WiFi and Ethernet network connectivity.
Wireless WiFi hotspot for use outdoors and anywhere that a WiFi network is not available.
Direct streaming from smartphone/tablet/computer via UPnP.
Direct streaming via Airplay.
Playback from attached USB sticks or USB hard drives.
Playback from NAS.
Playback of internet radio stations.
Web-based GUI for setup, playback control, and volume (USB/NAS/Internet Radio).

We are also working on allowing multiple AxiomPlay devices to be named and controlled from any network connected device with a web browser, allowing a simple to configure and use whole-home audio system.

As always, your input and suggestions are extremely valuable as we move forward with this exciting project!

Last edited by Andrew; 09/10/14 03:26 PM.
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters