Designing a new home theater
#383453 09/28/12 06:53 PM
J
JobvanZ Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
This is my first post, so I'll take the opportunity to introduce myself. My wife, Jeanne, and I live near Washington, DC, but we also have a summer home in Atlantic Canada (Saint John area in New Brunswick). The summers in DC are becoming more and more unbearable, so New Brunswick gives us a welcome reprive. Our house is on the Bay of Fundy, which works as a huge air conditioner.

It's quiet and peaceful where we are (in West Quaco near St. Martins), but there is not much in the way of movies. We have nice neighbors and we have been pondering for a while to have our own (private) film club.

Here is picture of the house:

The main house is on the left, in the middle is a so-called summer kitchen, and on the right is a barn, or garage, as most people call it. The initial idea was to use part of the current barn for the theater, but after consulting with contracters, we have decided to tear it down and build new in more or less the same style.

The new extension will be multipurpose with the theater section measuring about 13' by 19.5' and located on the right side of the new building. An unusual feature will be a vaulted ceiling with one of the long walls being higher than the other one. Like this:

You will notice a lot of seats: the idea is to get movie theater seats rather than the typical hometheater loungers. It is a cheaper solution, especially as many small theaters are closing (due to the digital-only requirement in 2013), which results in used or refurbished seats becoming available. It will allow me to seat about 15, with the center of the second row being the optimal seat. We may still go with folding chairs initially; it all depends.

The planned screen size is 120'. I measured the viewing angles at the various rows and they are within SMPTE/THX recommendations. The projector will be an Epson 8350. I've considered 3D, but I don't like the idea of active shutter glasses.It would also be very expensive to accommodate all our guests and some may not even tolerate the glasses. LG has a 3D projector with passive glasses, but that's outside my budget...

For receiver I like the idea of the new Pioneer Elite SC-61, which has 7 class-D amplifiers rated at 125W. It is also able to deliver reasonable power with all channels driven. There is no professional review out yet, but I'm not in a hurry, just planning!

OK, speakers, finally! Initially I had selected the KEF T305, because I like the idea of speakers on the wall. But in one forum someone suggested Axiom, so that's where we are now. I like the idea that it is a Canadian company; it will may things easier if I want to return something, etc.

I have to explain that I'm not an audiophile or videophile, although I like my sound to be undistorted and my picture to be clear. I have a small setup in our regular home consisting of a Sanyo Z2 projector (still very nice) and an not to be named speaker combo. So anything will be an improvement. The new theater will also be used only part of the year for now, so I don't want to go overboard, although I do want an 7.1 setup that will last me a while. (I notice some of you can't resist to keep adding; I just want to watch movies!)

The theater will primarily be used for movies. We both prefer foreign films over most Hollywood blockbusters. We do like animation though, such as from Pixar. I got the following recommendations from the HT Wizard (Animation should be included as an genre, BTW):
  • Center: VP150 (1) regular, mounted on wall
  • Main: M22 (2) regular, mounted on wall
  • Surrounds: QS8 (4)
  • Subwoofer: EP500 (1)

Does this look like a reasonable setup? It stays within my $3,000 budget, especially when going outlet. The basic black finishing is fine with me, we're sitting in the dark after all... I like the idea of QS8s, as it will help in providing good emerging surround for all seats. One question I have is about the VP150 after reading comments on this forum. Would it be better to go with a VP160?

As this is my first ever real HT project, any insight is welcome.

Re: Designing a new home theater
JobvanZ #383454 09/28/12 08:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey there, and welcome. Always good to have another Virginian on the forum. A few more and we may be able to convince Axiom to open their satellite office here, instead of in Iowa.

Looks like you've done your homework. I dig the cartoon mockup you did. Nicely conveys the project.

I'm on my way out of the office, so not a lot of time to chat, but everything sounds good to me so far. Mostly, I just wanted to say hi and notify you that the more helpful regulars will undoubtedly be along sooner or later to chime in.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
JobvanZ #383456 09/28/12 09:13 PM
buff
buff
Very nice layout. I would recommend that you do consider upgrading the center to the VP160, you have an abundance of seating that would benefit more from the output delivered by the VP160.

Brent Tombari
Axiom Audio Expert
JobvanZ #383459 09/28/12 10:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another option would be 2 centers. One above and one below the screen. The higher one would better serve the seats further back. Lower one might get muffled by the chairs and people. Or, just mount center above the screen.

JobvanZ #383465 09/29/12 12:54 AM
J
JobvanZ Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Thanks for your responses.

@CatBrat: I've read different accounts about the merits of the center above the screen. The height of my screen is about 5 feet and the screen is maybe 2.5 to 3 feet from the floor, which would result in a center placed over 7 feet from the floor, which seems kind of high to me.

In order to keep things simple, I don't want to use risers for the seating rows, just place the seats staggered. I would place the center speaker under the screen, but high enough that it is visible from the seats. BTW, the screen is just a straightforward fixed screen.

I've also read pro and con opinions regarding one or two center speakers, and two would be more costly than using a single 160.

JobvanZ #383466 09/29/12 02:33 AM
shareholder in the making
JZ, welcome. I'd suggest that if the center speaker has to be horizontally aligned that you use the VP160. However, you have enough room at the bottom of the screen to use a vertical M22 there and have M22s all across the front, which should be seriously considered.

Using the 10% reduction with Factory Outlet and the 5% for five or more items ordered, the speakers would total about $2700 with all M22s, or about $300 more with the VP160.

As to the receiver, since you'd be able to buy it in the U.S., one of the factory refurbished units which are such bargains at Accessories4less, would be available. At the price range you're considering the Onkyo 818 is outstanding, with the top Audyssey MultEQ XT32 version, for about $800.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #383467 09/29/12 04:34 AM
J
JobvanZ Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
John, that's an interesting idea. So the center M22 would be vertical underneath the screen without the need to be lined up with the left and right M22s? BTW, I didn't see an option to buy a single M22.

As to the receiver, I've considered the Onkyo 818 as one of the options. I know it has Audyssey MultEQ 32. Just today though, I've read good things about MCACC as well... And I think a cooler running unit will be more reliable in the long run. I wish there was something like the Kelly Blue Book for electronic equipment. It's very difficult to get long-term reliability statistics.

As to buying in the US, unless they ship to Canada, and I can get warranty issues and servicing taken care of in Canada, it is not an option for me, even if it's cheaper. I've had to deal with customs when furnishing our house in Canada and it's not fun. Another reason to look for Canadian speakers, as well.

JobvanZ #383468 09/29/12 04:45 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted By: JobvanZ
John, that's an interesting idea. So the center M22 would be vertical underneath the screen without the need to be lined up with the left and right M22s? BTW, I didn't see an option to buy a single M22.

On the product page, there's an "Add Single Speaker to Cart" link below the "Add to Cart" and "Customize Yours" buttons.

JobvanZ #383469 09/29/12 05:55 AM
Yes, that's how the three M22s would be arranged.

By buying in the U.S. I simply meant that you'd buy it while you were in Virginia and take it with you to Canada.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JobvanZ #383486 09/29/12 06:22 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Having added one speaker to be my rear speaker, I'm still not convinced it makes *that* much difference over my 5.1 setup. If budget is a constraint, I would go this route
1) Drop the 2 QS8's for rear and upgrade to VP160.
2) If the upgrade to VP160 can be done within the current budget, convert the two rear QS8's to be front height speakers instead. This requires an AVR that supports front height or wide speakers.

Welcome aboard.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615