Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What sub drives your HT?
#38602 03/26/04 10:20 PM
T
hobbyist
hobbyist
T
K, now don't be leavin' any of y'all's nasty Coke cans on my Hsu STF-2.

Howzat for two birds with one stone?

It's my first sub, so I have no real comparison, but it's the coolest thing ever for movies. And I'm inclined to like it with music, too, although I tend to turn it down. I really depends on the CD.

I was also considering the SVS PB1, but it was ~$200 more and, given how impressive the STF-2 is, it would have been overkill. If SVS made a 10"/200-watt sub, though, I'd probably still be wringing my hands.

I'm not sure why I narrowed it down to those two brands. Lots of good word-of-mouth for both from a lot of different sources, I suppose. I went with the Hsu because it seemed like the absolute best value. So far it's more than lived up to the hype.

Re: What sub drives your HT?(STF-3/EP350)
#38603 03/26/04 10:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Ray,
This is a real long reply...
I'm not sure I want to start another thread on such a volatile subject, since my own home auditions weren't exactly scientific...however, here is the rather long recap, with my editorial comment...
The Hsu STF-2 was originally aflicted with the leaking driver seal issue that presented itself on the infamous Darla aquarium tapping scene in Finding Nemo. Since I purchased an Epic 50 system minus the sub, I returned the Hsu sub to CompUSA and just ordered a EP175. I continued to follow the travails of Hsu and this problem on various forums, however, and received several emails from Dr. Hsu who acknowledged the problem, and eventually advised that I wait until the March shipments of the revised units from China when their fix went into production. The EP175 did fine with Darla, but there was still some signs that it was straining ("port chuff", etc) on that scene, however, so far, so good, as it sounded tight on most every other dvd and all music...BTW, my room is 15x22x8...
While I was in the middle of my 30 day Axiom trial period, I was bitten by upgradeitis and decided to go with the Epic 60 system intact, so everything went back to Axiom and I now had an EP350. That sub exhibited what I could only describe as an "oily, squeaking sound" on the Darla scene. A few calls and emails to Axiom resulted in their sending me a replacement driver, but that still had the same odd sound. I figured I would just return it, and then emailed Dr. Hsu who recommended the STF-3 if I wanted to be absolutely sure about the Darla scene...seems that he was well aware of that issue. So, I ordered it that evening, intending to then return the EP350. However, the very next morning I get an email from Ian at Axiom saying he was aware of my comments, and had tested another EP350 in their lab, and were sending it to me at no charge, and I should return my original EP350 for them to look at. So, at that point I had 2 subwoofers in route...
In a direct, unofficial comparison of the STF-3 and EP350, the Hsu definately sounded somewhat better on my reference Darla test. It also has a much more powerful amp and a considerably deeper footprint. However, when they were both calibrated equally, they sounded pretty much the same on most material. On demanding scenes like Darla, the Hsu had less "distortion" (or port chuff, for lack of a better description), and none of the squeaking sound that even the replacement EP350 had, albeit a slightly different version of that odd sound. However, even the STF-3 seemed to have a slight creaking sound from the enclosure with Darla. Keep in mind that this was a very unscientific comparison, and I admit that it is quite possible that something in my room was causing the odd sound I heard on the EP350. I did the listening comparisons at about -12db from reference on a Yamaha 5660 receiver.
So, there you have it...I'm done lugging subwoofers around town, and will stay with the Hsu. Dr. Hsu was quite gracious in returning my multiple emails personally, and I just took his recommendations once his product's production issues were resolved. (Even the STF-3 had tuning issues initially and my sample was the max output version as originally designed)
On last note since this is Axiom's forum. The customer service from Axiom was astounding. The fact that they would test and then send me another unit without my even asking was quite frankly amazing. I realize that they did have my credit card on file, but when I asked Amie why they would just trust me on a $600 item, she said that most of their customers they consider friends and family, and that they saw no risk in sending me another sub. I happen to work for a large consumer products manufacturer, and if I were to even suggest that we impliment that type of customer service, the manager of that department's head would most likely explode. Once again, kudos to Axiom's staff...BTW, the Epic 60 system with the Hsu is fabulous...
Sorry for the length of this reply, but it is a long story.
b.

#38604 03/26/04 11:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
No apologies for length necessary. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#38605 03/27/04 12:33 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Excellent sub blog Bob.. There just hasn't been much in the way of comparisons with the Axiom subs and this is helpful.

#38606 03/27/04 01:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for spending the time to share your story. As I've been preaching for quite some time now. An Axiom and Hsu pairing is a match made in heaven. (Both in terms of audio and customer service!)

#38607 03/27/04 01:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That's a good review Bob.
Don't concern yourself with the 'unscientific' method behind the listening. It is extremely difficult to control all the variables even in your own home theatre in your own house.
The fact that you calibrated both to the same SPL before 'testing' was excellent. This is by far the leading problem with most reviews by ppl reporting on their findings after returning from the box stores or even after trying to A/B speakers in their home (be it with speakers OR with other components).

I'm not suprised that the differences between the two subs were rather minimal. The very quality of low bass notes is more difficult to the human ear to distinguish and isolate. I had the chance to audition a Klipsch sub not too long ago and i compared it directly against my EP350. It took quite some time in listening to a set of low bass notes in a music passage over and over to figure out one small difference, the EP350 did not sound quite as muddy (the bass did not linger as long...hence the word 'tighter' in its description). But that was about it. In turning up the crossover on each of the subs such that i could listen to music playback up to the 200Hz range (something i despise allowing the sub to do b/c of the generally fudgy sound), about the only conclusion i could make was the same thing, the EP350 was a bit tighter in bass.

I have watched (and own) Finding Nemo and i have played that Darla scene that so many ppl have talked about. I can gleefully report that my EP350 produces no strange squeaky oily noise. Given the fact you mentioned it occurred (although somewhat differently) with your Hsu sub, then perhaps it is something in your listening room (took me a week to figure out which if my drop ceiling panels was rattling). It may also be the sound of Darla's finger squeaking against the glass of the tank as she taps, perhaps something you never noticed before until you purchased those fine set of Axiom speakers.
Someone else who has the movie can doublecheck this. I am off to a hockey right now otherwise you know i would do it myself.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#38608 03/27/04 04:11 AM
devotee
devotee
Now your talking, Mountain Dew in a glass bottle around 1979. Now that's a drink!

#38609 04/27/04 11:37 PM
regular
regular
Bose Bass Moduale

J/K I have nothing, I still use TV speakers. For my stereo set up I will soon be purchasing a SVS PC sub or an HSU

-BigK35-

#38610 04/29/04 07:47 AM
buff
buff
Well I have no real basis for comparison, since I went from never having a sub to my DIY project:

http://bhavesh.0catch.com/DIY%20sub.htm

Even powered with a mediocre mini stereo amp, it still performs very well on listening tests and using LFE sweeps. The 12'' driver is equivalent to the original SVS driver, so I'd put it on at least the level of a 10'' STF-2.

#38611 04/30/04 12:05 AM
J
buff
buff
J
Anyone done any comparison between the Dayton DIY sub from partsexpress and the HSU or SVS?

I'm looking for a sub to complete my NAD C 320BEE and M22s setup

Jeff 2x m22ti and 1x VP150 Panasonic SA-XR55S
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,080 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup