AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (Ken.C), 48 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22876 Topics
404359 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17775
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11200
MarkSJohnson 10886
Meanwhile On Facebook

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Page 30 of 37 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342698 - 03/21/11 09:13 AM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: JohnK]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dave, for you, they broke them in at the factory. Takes about 30 seconds.

The rest of us only got 15 seconds?

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#343415 - 03/27/11 05:48 PM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: fredk]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hey, I thought it only took a fraction of a second to a few seconds at best! So Speaker break in IS True!

#343783 - 04/01/11 12:19 AM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: terzaghi]
Lampshade Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Holbrook, MA
I thought it took a few months for all the electrons to line in up in an orderly fashion within the speaker voice coil.

#343794 - 04/01/11 08:30 AM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: Lampshade]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Quebec, Canada
reminds me of the "audiophile" in a forum who wrote that good amplifiers need a warm up time of 2 weeks before they sound good, that's how long it takes for the temps to stabilize in an amp.

i thought that as he uses the amp, its temperature would vary all the time as a function of varying power output, and thus would destabilize the amp and produce distortion.

but what do i know, i'm not a golden eared audiophile who can discern the difference between 0.0025% and 0.0000025% THD in an amp.

Yesterday morning i installed a new QSC GX5 amp (to replace a Hafler 500 which will go to surround duty).
After about 6 hours of concentrated listening of different program material, i could not hear any difference between the 2 amps, and i let the amp "warm up" for only a few minutes.

#343797 - 04/01/11 09:14 AM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: J. B.]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
J.B....How loud is the fan on your QSC?

#343811 - 04/01/11 09:59 AM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: Adrian]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

the fan noise is different than that of my pc; on the pc, it's a whooshing noise, wind noise from high speed fans as i use the processor for Folding and need lots of cooling.
on the GX5, it sounds more like purring, but i find it very difficult to qualify it well.
when there is no sound, i can hear it clearly, but not loud; as soon as there is some sound, then i can't hear the fan.
if i ever get annoyed with it, then i'll change the fan for a quiet one.
the amp is about 6 ft in front of me, below the tv and it's just a bit louder than the fans on my Hafler 500 where the fans are on the back of the amp (the second fan on the Hafler was installed there to supplement the Hafler one in case it would stop working, as the Hafler gets warm even when idle).

on the QSC, the fan is inside the case with the air exiting both in front and in the back.
the amp is so efficient that some people using it on their HT have disconnected the fan and it stays cool.

Edited by J. Bellemare (04/01/11 10:02 AM)

#343873 - 04/01/11 06:45 PM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: J. B.]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

i just found the nearest comparison to the fan noise in the GX5; it is very similar to the noise my S-VHS machine does when on PAUSE.
when on pause, the head drum keeps rotating and it's this noise that resembles a lot to that of the GX5.

Anyone wants my S-VHS machine?
it's a JVC, about 10 years old, it is in very good condition, except that the osd does not work anymore.
For sale for the princely sum of $1.00
the buyer must pick it up.

#344049 - 04/04/11 09:34 AM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: J. B.]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

Forgot to say this:

i also have around 40-50 TDK Q-HG cassettes that have been used only twice: to record music on, and to listen to it.

Cassettes are included in the price for the S-VHS machine.

#355152 - 09/20/11 09:03 PM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: SirQuack]
Scot Offline

hello everyone, I'm new here, and new to Axiom. I live in Houston,TX and see that there is a member who lives in Pasadena that would consider letting people hear their Axiom set-up....

After reading this whole thread, I'm guessing it will be hit or miss whether or not it will actually happen. smile

Anyway, I'm starting with NOTHING and doing my homework.... I've been all over the prosumer speaker sites and somehow landed here. I might have "heard" of Axiom's before but I can't say for sure. (Axiom can thank the internet for new potential business) But anyway, I'm here and will have to make a decision one way or another. Looking forward to learning more....

Thanks!

#355158 - 09/20/11 09:58 PM Re: Auditioning Axioms In Your Area [Re: Scot]
Argon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Oak Ridge, NC
Originally Posted By: Scot
hello everyone, I'm new here, and new to Axiom. I live in Houston,TX and see that there is a member who lives in Pasadena that would consider letting people hear their Axiom set-up....

After reading this whole thread, I'm guessing it will be hit or miss whether or not it will actually happen. smile

Anyway, I'm starting with NOTHING and doing my homework.... I've been all over the prosumer speaker sites and somehow landed here. I might have "heard" of Axiom's before but I can't say for sure. (Axiom can thank the internet for new potential business) But anyway, I'm here and will have to make a decision one way or another. Looking forward to learning more....

Thanks!

Welcome, Scot. Not sure if I have seen any active posters around Houston. If you are looking for an audition, don't hesitate to contact Axiom.

Page 30 of 37 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36 37 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.