shareholder in the making
My whole house is one, big, square zone. frown

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Really cool new thermostat
Murph #386073 11/23/12 01:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Murph
I remember reading articles when the Nest first came out. I appeals to me and I like how if you have more than one zone (upstairs and downstairs zones) that it will eventually learn the best way to maximize the effeciency of heat between the two areas.

That being said, my contractor put way too many zones in the house for this to work with my in floor heating system. I could pick and choose zones I suppose but it would still prove expensive as just having one would not make any sense.

The first generation Nests where pieces of junk. They couldn't do multi-stage heating and cooling systems, no humidity control. Not sure about the fan control. Really just a basic thermostat with wifi capabilities.

If I were to go with a wifi compatible thermostat it would be a Honeywell for sure.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #386113 11/25/12 05:04 AM
pmbuko Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
The first generation Nests where pieces of junk. They couldn't do multi-stage heating and cooling systems, no humidity control. Not sure about the fan control. Really just a basic thermostat with wifi capabilities.

If I were to go with a wifi compatible thermostat it would be a Honeywell for sure.

A basic thermostat doesn't learn your heating and cooling habits and optimize itself to save money on your energy bill. That's the main selling point of the Nest. It's a bit harsh to call it a piece of junk just because it doesn't have the features you want.

pmbuko #386116 11/25/12 02:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

A basic thermostat doesn't learn your heating and cooling habits and optimize itself to save money on your energy bill. That's the main selling point of the Nest. It's a bit harsh to call it a piece of junk just because it doesn't have the features you want.

For a "high end" price tag thermostat, the first gen couldn't even run a 2-stage air conditioner. The air conditioners that are highly efficient and will actually save you money on your energy bill. It didn't have the basic features of a $60 thermostat of that time. I would consider that junk. The "learning aspect of the nest" is much of a gimmick IMO and not needed. Constantly adjusting temperatures might not be a good thing (short cycling is bad), where its placed is crucial or it will give false adjustments (like a hallway). In Canada we are also on peak rate hours. It can't learn that.

The Gen 2 Nest is MUCH improved with features, but I would still be afraid of the compatibility issues with the more complicated ultra-high efficient HVAC systems. In this case I would go with the Honeywell Prestige IAQ.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #386154 11/26/12 08:16 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for clarifying. Now we can agree. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup