Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: M80's or different
grunt #386770 12/09/12 01:19 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm curious how many have listened or owned other speakers from the most recognized, before you found Axiom? And at the time thought you had the end all be all. And then after hearing the Axiom brand were blown away?

Hope to gain a wealth of knowledge and maybe use it.
audiodreamer #386771 12/09/12 02:01 AM
local
local
Originally Posted By: audiodreamer
Originally Posted By: cohesion
Do you have the centre and surrounds yet? If not you might consider a VP180 and QS8's to start. Also look at the auctions and outlet for even value. In my experience the finish is still great.

I can't do all at once. Am I to understand that I should have the center and surrounds before fronts?

Or if the M80's are that impressive on the low end, then I could skip the sub (for now) and make my next purchase be the center and then the surrounds

I was suggesting adding the centre and surrounds to your existing Def Techs. That way you'd be able to enjoy all 5 channels right away. Forgot about the sub but with M80's leaving it for last is a reasonable option.

audiodreamer #386774 12/09/12 03:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Almost identical room here. I started with M80's and a 2-channel integrated amp. 50/50 listening between music & movies. I was absolutely thrilled. Then about a year later added a 5.1 receiver and a second hand sub. When watching movies, I ran it in "ghost centre" mode. It worked remarkably well. Eventually was able to buy the remaining speakers in my sig.

Buy the 80's, move the Def's to the back for surround duty, and run the Onkyo in "ghost" or "phantom" centre mode. You won't be dissapointed.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
audiodreamer #386775 12/09/12 03:28 AM
shareholder in the making
AD, you're off to an excellent start on the new setup with the 809, which is overall excellent and would have plenty of power capacity for driving the M80s.

As to the speakers, since your budget is $1500-$2000, you shouldn't start off with a full 5.1 or 7.1 setup. The most essential elements of the HT would be the main speakers and side surrounds. The center speaker(the mains can form a "phantom" center)and sub can be delayed.

To stay within your budget I'd suggest the M80s plus QS8s at this time, which if bought through the Outlet at 10% off would run a little under $2000.

Edit: I'll add a comment, similar to Jason's, that when comparing quality audio components, terms such as "huge", "night-and-day" or "blown away" have no application.

Last edited by JohnK; 12/09/12 04:02 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

audiodreamer #386776 12/09/12 03:50 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: audiodreamer
I'm curious how many have listened or owned other speakers from the most recognized, before you found Axiom? And at the time thought you had the end all be all. And then after hearing the Axiom brand were blown away?
I had Bose 201's before I found Axiom and the Bose were bloated, muddy and sounded pretty poor next to the M22s. I doubt you will find anyone say they were blown away if they owned speakers of a similar quality like Paradigm, Focal, Monitor Audio etc.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
audiodreamer #386777 12/09/12 04:04 AM
Hearing Paradigm Monitor 9s (v1s?) in the same room as M22tis, although not back to back, the M22s were clearly much, much better (although comparatively lacking in bass, of course).

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
audiodreamer #386780 12/09/12 05:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My friend recently brought over his pair of floor standing Paradigm's (sorry I don't recall the model). We spent some time switching back and forth with my M80's. In the end I think it's just a preference thing. He liked his speakers better, they were a bit less in the midrange and not quiet as forward on the high end. I am sad to say they easily had more low end than my M80's thou from an accuracy standpoint I'm not sure which won.

INANE #386784 12/09/12 02:40 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Before ultimate electronics went under, although wasn't ready to buy, I was speaker shopping. I think Definitive just came out with the 8000 series just came out. A friend has some def's about 10 years old and I enjoy listening to music on his setup. However he is running everything electronics that I'm sure cost more than the speakers.

So I thought the def's were going to be it when go for broke. While doing shopping/ dreaming, I heard some focal's. probably the chorus line according to a local focal dealer.
I really liked the tonality of the focal over the def's top of the line.

Will I be as impressed with the m80's?

audiodreamer #386788 12/09/12 05:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When I was speaker shopping my final choice came down to a pair of Focal Chorus 807 monitors and the M80s both for around 1200/pair at the time, I didn’t get a chance to listen to any Focal Chorus tower speakers. I preferred what I would call the light aery enveloping presentation of the Focal’s for most music over the M80s at the time. However, a big portion of my music listening is Goa trance, and other techno/rave music which requires an authoritative midbass punch which no monitor is going to achieve. I also preferred the M80s for movies hands down, though I never mixed in a subwoofer when listening.

My main use was/still is home theater and I wanted speaker that were a non-reflective black (focals were shiny black). I suspected I’d want a 3rd identical speaker for a center channel and the focals only came in pairs. I also preferred the selection of other speakers available especially the surrounds in the Axiom line for home theater use. So I ended up going with the M80s since the Axiom speakers did more of what I was looking for. Also over time I came to another realization as to why I preferred the Axioms when I read this review of the M2 bookshelf speakers:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0509/aperion_intimus_5b_axiom_m2v2_paradigm_v6.htm

Quote:

Sitting down to listen to the M2s also didn't blow me away...at first. I played one song, then another. Then another. Then an entire side. Then... hey, I haven't heard this album in a long time, I should put that on. What I realized, after a few hours of being pulled completely out of "speaker evaluation" mode, is that the M2s are the least colored speakers in the group. My notes from my listening sessions with the Axioms are suspiciously sparse: "nailed it", "impressively involving", "perfect?", etc. While the Paradigms may have sounded lusher with the string trio, or the Aperions may have delivered rock music with more punch, the Axioms lacked any of the other speakers' tonal caveats. If they weren't the best at every type of music, they were the best at any type of music. I'd like to add that the M2's neutrality extends all the way to the grilles as I thought I heard a touch more air in the highs with them off, but the impact they had on the sound was so minimal I wouldn't make a strong recommendation either way.

That same tonal neutrality extends across the entire line from M2 to M22 to M80 I know because I own all of them.

Actually the only speakers that came close to the M80 in overall presentation were some Paradigms and B&Ws at 2 to 3 times the price of the M80s respectively. I am still thinking about some day getting a dedicated music system for in another room but just don’t sit in one place long enough listening to music to justify the expense. Also I’ve since learned much more about how room and room treatments including furniture affect the sound from speakers and know now that the curtains I put around the walls and the big chairs I got would have deadened the light aery sound of the focals.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #386791 12/09/12 10:02 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well I had 2 do it. Walked into best buy to see if they were carrying the oppo yet. While there I was thinking if when I get the M80's I don't get the lfe's I want, what would be my least expensive choice for a sub. I realized that on the stand alone subs they have to be perfectly placed to sound good.

Then I listened to the def tech 8060 and the bass sounded great listening to same material, with same electronics.
Supposedly they will get down to 20hz.

As far as LFE is concerned how pleased will I be with the M80's?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,448
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters