Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Front PJ vs. Plasma TV
fredk #386483 12/03/12 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: fredk
including browsing and casual gaming

Hmmm, sounds like Fred joined one of those new interactive, online, singles services. Make sure your avatar wears protection.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #386526 12/04/12 01:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ed the sock don't need no stinkin protection!

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #386706 12/07/12 05:31 AM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
I suggest that you try turning you dynamic iris ON and spend some time with the calibration disc to see if you are maybe happy with what you have. The only reason to turn off the dynamic iris is if it is not designed that well and you are annoyed by the pumping from light to dark scenes. Turning the dynamic iris on should certainly help with both black levels and shadow detail (the two most important aspects of the picture). Since you have a plasma you are probably a little bit spoiled with good black levels and shadow detail (especially if you have a Panasonic or Poineer), so you may not be happy with your current projector. If that is the case you will probably need to look into a Sony or JVC projector. They seem to be running neck and neck in terms or price and performance and most other projectors can't get near them in terms of black levels and shadow detail in their price range. The Sony's have a very well designed dynamic iris that helps get the blacks, while the JVC does so without one.

My vote if for you to hopefully get a projector that you are happy with. Unless you can afford a 100" plasma, you just will not have that impact factor of a huge screen that you can get from a projector. But, like I said before, see if you can be happy with what you have. Epson makes some good projectors. They are supposed to be pretty good in terms of black levels and shadow detail, but only if you have it set up right (though Sony and JVC are probably going to be a bit better).

Nick B #386840 12/11/12 03:42 PM
GregM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Dynamic iris will never be on again. The pumping as you call is not only annoying but a genuine half-assed attempt at getting a real contrast level. I am sure you know that a native resolution of 500:1 can be made to 50,000:1 by having the iris open and close. That is just too big of a distraction to enjoy a movie with. Give me an honest native contrast ratio of 10,000:1 and I'll be happy. I think my Sanyo Z4 clocked in with a native resolution of 1,500:1 and truth be told I don't know what my Epson is but I suspect no more than 3,000:1.

I'll go back to either a DLP or get a really big plasma or LCD next time around.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Nick B
I suggest that you try turning you dynamic iris ON and spend some time with the calibration disc to see if you are maybe happy with what you have. The only reason to turn off the dynamic iris is if it is not designed that well and you are annoyed by the pumping from light to dark scenes. Turning the dynamic iris on should certainly help with both black levels and shadow detail (the two most important aspects of the picture). Since you have a plasma you are probably a little bit spoiled with good black levels and shadow detail (especially if you have a Panasonic or Poineer), so you may not be happy with your current projector. If that is the case you will probably need to look into a Sony or JVC projector. They seem to be running neck and neck in terms or price and performance and most other projectors can't get near them in terms of black levels and shadow detail in their price range. The Sony's have a very well designed dynamic iris that helps get the blacks, while the JVC does so without one.

My vote if for you to hopefully get a projector that you are happy with. Unless you can afford a 100" plasma, you just will not have that impact factor of a huge screen that you can get from a projector. But, like I said before, see if you can be happy with what you have. Epson makes some good projectors. They are supposed to be pretty good in terms of black levels and shadow detail, but only if you have it set up right (though Sony and JVC are probably going to be a bit better).

Last edited by GregM; 12/11/12 03:43 PM.
GregM #386895 12/14/12 06:03 AM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Greg,

Like I said, if you want black levels and shadow detail like that on your Panasonic plasma you will need to go with a JVC projector. The JVCs get that performance without the use of a dynamic iris.

The Sony projectors are very close in performance, but you would need to have the dynamic iris ON to get that performance. The good news about the Sony projectors is that they have one of the best implementations of a dynamic iris (in their price class). From reading professional reviews, it is nearly always mentioned that you can almost never catch any pumping of the iris. Only with bright scenes fading to black, or vice versa you may catch it, if you are looking for it.

GregM #386908 12/14/12 03:42 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have not ever noticed any "iris pumping" with the VPL-95. Post calibration CR results were right about 20,000/1 with the iris disabled as well. Significantly lower native CR than the JVC RS20 it replaced, but in all honesty, I couldn't tell any difference in that regard. Actually, the Sony with iris enabled has better shadow detail. The Sony has higher ANSI C/R than the JVC too.

michael_d #386922 12/15/12 01:03 AM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
I own a Pioneer Kuro Plasma, so when I get a projector I think that I will need to go with either a JVC or Sony to get the good shadow detail and black levels that I am used to. Between the two I would probably go with a JVC though, since it would be nice to get that performance and never have to worry about catching any pumping of the iris (even if it very seldom).

I just went the movie theater a few weeks ago and I noticed some cross-hatched pattern in the bright area of scenes that had some both bright and dark areas of the image. For example, when there are mountains and a bright sky directly above it, I would see the cross-hatch pattern in the bright sky area. A few minutes later I realized that it was the weave of the acoustically transparent screen. The problem is once you notice it you cannot forget it and it distracts you from the movie.

This is why I want to avoid a dynamic iris if at all possible. Also, I don't want to have to worry about rainbows on a DLP. I was thinking that I would possibly get an acoustically transparent screen, when I get a projector, but I definitely will not now. Visual distractions on the screen are much more distracting that the compromise of going with a horizontal center channel speaker.

We are living in great times though. For around $3000 (maybe $3500?) you can get an entry level JVC or Sony with amazing performance. I just wish that projector manufacturers would start working on implementing LED lamps in the projectors rather than 3D and now 4k.

GregM #387244 12/24/12 06:03 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
I have a Sanyo Z5 720p on a 100" screen in my mancave and a 56" LED backlit Toshiba in the living room. When people see the Toshiba they say,' Nice TV !'
When they see the projector,they say 'OMG ! Thats amazing !'
I notice the PQ difference from a critiquing point of view, but when it comes to 'experiancing' a movie, nothing can beat the immersion of a 100+" screen and a good sound system. To get the kind of contrast you desire, you are going to have to go into the $3000+ range of projectors. To the average joe our projectors will more than impress, but once you've been into this hobby for awhile you start to desire the higher end stuff and what our budget limits us too. I researched projectors for months before I settled on my Z5. It was the best bang for my dollar and room size and five years later I'm looking for something better with 3D. That means I gotta start saving my pennies and decide which of my hobbies my limited funding goes towards.
In summation I just say, enjoy the experience the huge picture your projector gives you and stop nit picking at the small stuff. There will always be something newwer and better that we wish we could afford or have.

Sanyo Z5 HD Projector w/100" screen
Yamaha RXV-663,BD30,HD-A30
Toshiba 55SV670U
M60s
VP150
QS8s
GregM #387248 12/24/12 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just did a quick check and saw that a 90” Sharp LED was running about $11k so I can’t even imagine what a 134” plasma would cost or weigh if even made. So to answer the original question no don’t see any likelihood of abandoning the projector.

I’ve never noticed “iris pumping” with either of my Panasonic projectors. The only time I notice it is when switching output modes.

Like ghost says picture size adds a quality all its own to the image. When fired up my first Panasonic my jaw hit the floor I was so amazed at the PQ. When I upgraded to a newer model Panasonic my jaw hit the floor again at how crappy the PQ of my first one was. So I have to say that Michael-d is spot on when he advises getting a mid-high range projector.

BTW I stuck with the Panasonic because it has one of the lowest input lag levels which is important for me since I over about 50% of my use it video/computer gaming with only about 5-10% dedicated movie watching the rest is just general computer use so lag became more important for me than just shadow detail and black levels but for primarily movie use I would lean more toward those specs.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
GregM #387257 12/24/12 11:11 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Im very impressed by the Panny AE 8000 and will probably go that route once ive got the cash.

Sanyo Z5 HD Projector w/100" screen
Yamaha RXV-663,BD30,HD-A30
Toshiba 55SV670U
M60s
VP150
QS8s
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16