Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
EP350 V3 Problem
#386929 12/15/12 02:34 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello there, this is my first post ever but I'd like to say that I've always found some really good things out of this forum and hope someone will be able to help me with my problem! oh and btw sorry for my poor english not my native language... Here we go :

I bought a 5.1 speaker set on April 2012 and I was really impressed with it. I was able to benefit from the stunning audio quality
that this set was offering me until only recently. Last week, my EP350 V3
subwoofer begin to stop working while watching a movie. I had to unplug, and plug back at
least twice, the cable to have it work again. Now I need to
do this every time I'm starting a new movie or only while watching the
normal TV. The green light is still there on the back and
everything looks ok. I've not moved nor changed the configuration of the sub
since its first installation. I'm using the 1/4 phone adapter onto a RCA cable (High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm from monoprice) into the LFE plug from
my Pioneer VSX-1325-K.

I will also add that I've tried a different 1/4 -phone RCA adapter but with the same results. The level of the sub into the receiver have not been changed and is standing at +2db. the volume on the sub also have not been changed and is at a little bit more than 1/4.

Now, before I go to the store and buy a new RCA cable to see if it could be the cable, do you think that it should be better to use a RCA - XLR Female cable (like the Digiflex NXFR cable) while removing the 1/4” phone-to-RCA adaptor from the XLR input jack? Also, if this is the best solution, how do I remove that adaptor without breaking anything into the input jack....because it really seems quite fixed into the jack.

Thanks to all of you and really hope I'll be able to enjoy back my set without having to unplug/plug back everytime!

Re: EP350 V3 Problem
MindOverMatter #386931 12/15/12 03:20 PM
shareholder in the making
Welcome! Sorry you are having this problem, so far both of my 350 subs have not had this problem. What plug are you talking about that you have to unplug/plug back everytime? Are you talking about the RCA Line In or the power outlet cable to the wall?

My 350's are considered V3 version, however, don't have a 1/4 plug cable, I just use regular RCA Line In coax from my receiver to the subs Line In jack.

Maybe someone from Axiom will reply and help you. Also, you can always try calling their 800 number and talk to a tech.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

MindOverMatter #386932 12/15/12 03:53 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your reply SirQuack! Sorry for this confusion, I was talking about the RCA cable that I needed to connect and re-connect to the 1/4 phone line in to be able to get the sub back to normal.

My EP350 V3 have the exact same back panel that is showed in the owners manual pdf file available on the Axiom site. If not using the high-level input, I think the only way to connect in is an RCA cable used with a 1/4 phone adapter (included in the box) into the sub. But it is also stated that, by removing the adapter (the one fixed into the back of the sub called 1/4” phone-to-RCA adaptor from the XLR input jack) someone could connect in with an XLR female cable.

to which my question : Would it be better to connect a RCA to XLR female cable into that input jack? and if yes, how do I remove that adaptor without damaging anything?

Thanks again!

Sorry for the confusion....

MindOverMatter #386937 12/15/12 06:25 PM
Hi MoM,
I suggest you contact Axiom directly. I am confused about your removal question-- the only removable part is the 1/4 to RCA adapter, which you've said you switched out ( and therefore you were able to remove it!)

If that 1/4 to RCA plug is out, you can directly plug an xlr cable into that port--the 1/4" jack hole in the middle won't stop you. However, I suspect that using the XLR to RCA you cite will not help much. Again, contact Axiom.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MindOverMatter #386941 12/15/12 07:08 PM
M
OP Offline
M
DOH! ...Thanks ken C. I think I finally understood all that 1/4 phone jack thing! So that mean that in the event that I would be using an RCA - XLR cable ...(but a MALE XLR, right?) it would fit into that 1/4 phone/XLR in without removing anything that is already on the SUB ....I thought I would need to remove that phone jack hole in order to plug in a FEMALE XLR cable into it.

Unfortunately I just got back from the shop buying both a new RCA cable and a RCA-XLR FEMALE cable (which unfortunatly wont work). After doing some test the new RCA cable works fine but I'll test at different interval in time, and will watch a movie tonight and see if the problem reappear. Then, I think I'll have to call Axiom directly to see what else they can do.

But to conclude on the RCA - XLR question, what method would give you the best result in term of quality : 1- RCA cable using the 1/4 phone adapter or 2- RCA - XLR MALE cable?

Thanks very much.

MindOverMatter #386942 12/15/12 08:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Mind. . .

XLR connectors were developed for professional broadcasting to enable running hundreds of feet of cable without picking up any hum or interference. For domestic applications like yours, there is no difference in audio quality between the XLR and the RCA connections.

Note that adaptors of all types can be "fiddly"; i.e. sometimes they don't seat properly and might be intermittent, the same way headphone jacks may get intermittent. It's just a spring-loaded connector inside the 1/4-inch phone to RCA adaptor, so make sure the adaptor is fully inserted and seated.

In that respect, XLR connectors offer a more solid, less "fiddly" connection, but audio quality remains the same.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
MindOverMatter #386943 12/15/12 08:42 PM
I thought if you used the XLR, you could expect a 3-6dB drop in output?

Ken.C #386968 12/16/12 03:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ken,

Could be. I forget. Someone will confirm, if so.
I just wanted to point out that in terms of fidelity, there is no difference between XLR (balanced) and RCA (unbalanced) connections.

Oddly, my large "Handbbook for Sound Engineers" doesn't address the question, likely because RCA connectors are never used in pro audio and sound-reinforcement applications.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
MindOverMatter #387008 12/18/12 11:30 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone, so far so good!

The sub is functionning flawlessly since I've changed the RCA cable. I've decided to stay with RCA instead of RCA-XLR Male.

One last question : Do I need to turn off (manually from behind) the sub every nights or it can stay on forever?

Thanks to all!

MindOverMatter #387017 12/18/12 01:43 PM
Well, that's a relief. So nice that it was just the cable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters