Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
dedicated DAC vs Yamaha AVR (stereo setup)
#387859 01/07/13 01:44 PM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L

My 12'x10' office is hosting a stereo setup consisting of a AVR (Yamaha htr-5960) and Axiom M22ti speakers and one 8" sub. My computers are hooked to it via digital toslink. I also have an 8" sub. I was on the fence after looking at the Emotiva XDA-2 and mini amp combo.

Did anyone with a similar configuration switched to a dedicated DAC & power amp? did you notice any difference in sound quality. I'm wondering if I could hear any difference. My current system is already loud enough so if there is a change it would be related to the sound quality.

I don't think there is an issue with my current system, I really like what I hear. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?

thanks!

Re: dedicated DAC vs Yamaha AVR (stereo setup)
LRA #387872 01/07/13 06:45 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: LucRaymond

My 12'x10' office is hosting a stereo setup consisting of a AVR (Yamaha htr-5960) and Axiom M22ti speakers and one 8" sub. My computers are hooked to it via digital toslink. I also have an 8" sub. I was on the fence after looking at the Emotiva XDA-2 and mini amp combo.

Did anyone with a similar configuration switched to a dedicated DAC & power amp? did you notice any difference in sound quality. I'm wondering if I could hear any difference. My current system is already loud enough so if there is a change it would be related to the sound quality.

I don't think there is an issue with my current system, I really like what I hear. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?

thanks!

Given the source and your speakers, in my opinion it is highly unlikely you would notice any audible difference.

LRA #387909 01/08/13 03:13 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Luc, first a point of terminology: the DAC in your Yamaha is just as "dedicated" in doing digital to analog conversion as is a separate DAC. The separate one may or may not measure slightly better, but DACs in quality equipment such as your Yamaha already are doing the job with audible precision and no audible benefits are to be found in buying a separate unit.

As to the amplification, since you already have enough for the loudness you need, there's nothing to be gained from buying still more which won't be used. There's no magic to be found in putting the amplification process in more boxes when it's already being done in an audibly transparent manner.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #387921 01/08/13 10:00 AM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Luc, first a point of terminology: the DAC in your Yamaha is just as "dedicated" in doing digital to analog conversion as is a separate DAC. The separate one may or may not measure slightly better, but DACs in quality equipment such as your Yamaha already are doing the job with audible precision and no audible benefits are to be found in buying a separate unit.

As to the amplification, since you already have enough for the loudness you need, there's nothing to be gained from buying still more which won't be used. There's no magic to be found in putting the amplification process in more boxes when it's already being done in an audibly transparent manner.

Thanks for your input. When I said dedicated DAC, I was not refering to the chip but more to the external DAC component. I was precisely looking at the XDA2.

I did some testing with my high end sound card the other day:

PC -> digital toslink -> yamaha
PC -> analog -> upa-2 (power amp)

and didn't hear any difference at moderate-high volume. It did test two different DAC circuitry and two different amplification sources without any real benefits.
I would have not been able to identify them in an ABX test.

The origin of my investigation was fueled by forum posts where most of the 'stereo heads' are disgusted with any form of music playing through an AVR.

I never own an external DAC component and I can't judge if they're worth anything.

Last edited by LucRaymond; 01/08/13 10:29 AM.
LRA #387942 01/08/13 03:34 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Alan has commented on this a number of times in that DAC technology is one that is pretty mature in its evolution so when you just have a handful of companies that actually design and manufacture these products, you are going to find one of them in most any piece of A/V equipment regardless of the manufacturer. As a result, the claims by some that there is noticeable audible differences from one to another is just not founded in "real world" fact.

Changing the source equipment and speakers will have a noticeable affect on what you are hearing, not DACs.

casey01 #387944 01/08/13 03:38 PM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L
Originally Posted By: casey01
Alan has commented on this a number of times in that DAC technology is one that is pretty mature in its evolution so when you just have a handful of companies that actually design and manufacture these products, you are going to find one of them in most any piece of A/V equipment regardless of the manufacturer. As a result, the claims by some that there is noticeable audible differences from one to another is just not founded in "real world" fact.

Changing the source equipment and speakers will have a noticeable affect on what you are hearing, not DACs.

So far I'm coming to the same conclusion.. what are they waiting to make LFR M22

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044