Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Re: A new Axiom owner soon! I have questions...
Adrian #388213 01/11/13 08:56 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
hey thanks for that, took a quick peek and they seem pretty nice. I will do some more reading on them. Thanks for the link.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
colson79 #388214 01/11/13 09:01 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
cat: Hey, that i didn't know about the covers. I'm going to look into that. thanks smile That definitely contributes to pleasing the wife

colson: Very nice. Sounds like a great setup. I think I've ultimately decided on getting the EP800.

I might change my mind by the time I order, but we'll see. I'm pretty certain I want the ep800 now. I know I won't be unhappy even if it costs me a bit more then other comparable subs.

How are you enjoying the m80's?

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #388216 01/11/13 09:07 PM
C
hobbyist
hobbyist
C
I love the M80's they sound great. I replaced a 23 year old pare of Bose 601 series 3 speakers. I was definitely in need of an up grade. On a side note I also replaced my 10 year old Pioneer receiver with a new Pioneer Elite SC67 which I am also loving.

Last edited by colson79; 01/11/13 09:08 PM.
Mad_Chesser #388217 01/11/13 09:16 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
You will definitely need a new receiver to handle all of the wonderful sound options that are available today - too many actually.

Last year I snagged a Denon AVR from BB Canada on line - it was the last one on clearance with a list price of $800 that I got for $450. Bargains can be found if you watch & wait.

I've never owned a Denon before & after I figured it all out, I am really happy with it. These beasts, regardless of brand, are really quite complicated these days, so expect a learning curve & some frustration, ha! Lots of assistance can be found here though.

Funk Waves has a great reputation as well. I believe that they are on the Sunshine Coast - a misnomer at this time of the year...

TAM

exlabdriver #388218 01/11/13 09:31 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks for all the input smile

My dad just bought the pioneer sc-67(very nice amp you got yourself colson :)) and I've got to play around with it a bit here and there. Like you say, wow, there is an incredible amount of options on these receivers nowadays.

I'm definitely going to take you up on your offer in regards to assistance on these boards lol smile

After I drop this 5 grand, I'm going to have to start to sell all my old equipment and I'll be putting that towards an Oppo player and a new receiver.

I'll potentially be selling 5 pairs of speakers(10 total), one sherwood power amp, my yamaha receiver and two old equalizers.

Now on that note, an external equalizer will not be necessary anymore hey?

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #388219 01/11/13 10:38 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Welcome, Nick.

No, with Audyssey or MCACC, you don't need an external EQ.

I think Denon and Onkyo are delivering really good value nowadays. I'm predisposed to the Audyssey system rather than something proprietary, though. YMMV. Shop for features and price.

I think you'll be really happy with the Axiom setup you've chosen.

Some years ago, I had the chance to hear - back-to-back, in the same room - an EP600 and PB13-ultra. Obviously, those are not the current models you're looking at, but it was a very interesting experience. I have an older SVS PB12-ISD. I think SVS subs are terrific.

AND there was a definite signature sound to the SVS. To me, it was heavier and fatter. Though the test was blind, all four of us could easily identify each sub. The Axiom was drier and more nuanced. I preferred the EP600 and that's what the forum member elected to keep after extended auditions of both in his home. Both were stunning.

I believe that Axiom sub design philosophy places a higher priority on lower distortion than some other manufacturers. There is a general belief that - at very low frequencies - distortion is less audible and/or less objectionable. I'm less sure.

How big is your room? How many people are watching movies with you? Listening to music with you?

You might start with an EP500 and see how that goes. Axiom will let you upgrade during the trial period for free. If the EP500 doesn't go low enough, you can get an EP600 or EP800. If it doesn't cover enough area in your home, you can get a second one. It's pretty hard to model/predict how your ROOM will interact with the rest of your system.

Have fun!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #388220 01/11/13 10:58 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks for the great reply.

I'll definitely be picking up either a Pioneer, Denon or Onkyo. Sometimes the sale prices at even our local stores can be quite good for all 3 of these. I just have to decide if Audyssey or MCACC is the way to go.

Is it true that Audyssey is easier to use, yet your either accept it or turn it off...no real fine calibration is available?

I have no real experience with either besides toying around for a few minutes with my father's Pioneer sc-67.

I really enjoyed your take on the subs. I'm pretty sold on getting an EP800. I'm sure I'd enjoy a SVS as well, but for all the reasons listed in an earlier post, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the EP800. smile

If I invite friends over, 3 to 4 people probably will be the max. Though generally, it will be just me and the wife. I don't have a dedicated home theater room yet, for I rent, so I can't quite make it mine. I plan to buy eventually and I'm looking forward to embarking on creating a true HT room in the basement. This is a dream of mine. I'm hoping to get many years out of this system I plan to buy.

The main living room is 16X12X8, but to the left of the living room is a big open dining room that leads to the kitchen. The living room and kitchen are seperated by a 6 foot wall. And then the "back wall" of the living room has 3 open archways that look over the stairways leading to the downstairs and entrance. It's all hardwood laminate flooring

I do know that I particularly like the acoustics of this room. We just moved here and the sound from my system from one house to another is astonishing. The sound sounds less muddled and more free to "breathe" then in the last house. I don't get any nasty reverberation or anything which is nice. I don't have to turn it as loud to feel the same experience as in the last house. It seems to sound clearer and get loud easier if that makes sense

For music, it's usually just me. But once in a blue moon, I like to throw a big party and for example, last Halloween I had about 15 people over at one point. The wife and her girlfriends starting putting all sorts of heavy club songs on the playlist...my cerwin vega D9's handled that crap great lol smile

On moments like those, it's rare mind you, I like to show off. Especially if I've been drinking wink I'm hoping to impress people with the M80 system with a EP800.

But more then that, I'm looking for something I can't describe for ME. A quality of sound imaging, quality and pristine highs with warm mids, incredible deep, smooth, but not excessive bass. I want to be excited about my music again. I want to hear things I haven't heard before with my large music collection.

I should also note that at times I love to hear my music VERY loud. I will tweak my equalizer and try to push my cerwin vegas to the very edge of what they are comfortable with, back it off just a tad, and listen to that level comfortably for awhile.

I should note that I've only blown a fuse on my speaker once in my entire life and I have never damaged any of my speakers or equipment...yet wink

I'm no audiophile. I'm a huge enthusiast hoping to expand my knowledge and experience a little further. And when I have everything dialed in and sounding incredible, I want to show it off so others can go buy it and experience it for themselves.

I definitely want to help audition these for people. There is no one in my area.

Last edited by Mad_Chesser; 01/11/13 11:09 PM.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #388221 01/11/13 11:30 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Just looking online, costco, for a new tv stand smile

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #388222 01/11/13 11:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh crap. Another "Nick" on the forums. What is this place coming to?

(welcome by the way and congrats on the new system)

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #388223 01/11/13 11:38 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
lol we own the joint do we? wink

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc