Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Universal Remotes, a technology shift?
#388846 01/27/13 05:14 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
With the advent of networked 'everything' and smartphones, will the universal remote shift to become entirely software based?

Why have another physical device when you can just fire up the remote app on you phone?

Besides, think of the remote-wars fun you could have with multiple smart phones in each household. grin

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Re: Universal Remotes, a technology shift?
fredk #388848 01/27/13 06:15 PM
shareholder in the making
I don't want to have to make a minimum of 8 motions (unlock swipe, enter passcode, find and open app, press button, not counting the movement to pull the damned thing out of my pocket) to adjust the volume when I can just pick up a remote and press one button.

So there.

Nyah.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #388852 01/27/13 07:39 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I don't want to have to make a minimum of 8 motions (unlock swipe, enter passcode, find and open app, press button, not counting the movement to pull the damned thing out of my pocket) to adjust the volume when I can just pick up a remote and press one button.

So there.

Nyah.

I couldn't agree more, the idea of integration, to me anyway, is primarily a marketing tool, it almost always doesn't necessarily make things easier or better overall and quite the contrary, it often makes it more complicated. If one has a quality A/V system, I believe the vast majority of us would want a dedicated universal remote to turns things on and off and be able to program it independently from anything else. In this case, it is faster and easier with less hassle. They can keep their app for the phone.

fredk #388853 01/27/13 07:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Someone would have to find a way to bring all these different apps from different manufacturers together into one useable interface. I have app's for my xbox360 to stream video, apps for my oppo , apps for my denon, etc etc. I don't see it happening. I like my Logitech, I hope the company is rescued and made viable. I have looked at other remotes and they are either way more complicated than I care to use or on the other end of the scale lack much versatility. Logitech sits in the middle imho.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
fredk #388881 01/28/13 05:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sigh, I agree. However, remote capability is like the whole cable system. The functionality and ability is there, including the s/w hooks and h/w capability. But the vendors all want their own spin and charge you separately for it.

Denon can do remote programming on devices like the 3310. HOWEVER, in order to get full functionality on the iOS app, it only works on 3311 and above. BUT, if you use the HTML interface, you can get to ALL the functions on a web browser. So how come you can't do that w/ an iOS app? My Series 3 Tivo works on the iOS app, but I can't see the Now Playing List. THAT only works on Tivo Premiere along with a bunch of other features. Both pretty much run similar Linux OSes and the set top box IC is all Broadcom. AND if you use a browser, you can see the Now Playing list.

The PS3 can't be controlled with an app. But you know that all that functionality IS possible, Sony just doesn't release it. You can do all of that streaming functionality and control between a PS3 and my 1st Gen PSP but we can't get a LAN controlled remote on one of the most powerful consoles? Really??!??!

Vizio came out with their own full Android tablet that would only control their TVs, Panasonic did the same. Guess how well those sold.

Sadly, until they agree on a standard or just say screw it, we'll open the access to anyone, I doubt we'll ever reach our lofty goal.

oldskoolboarder #388905 01/28/13 07:46 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder

Sadly, until they agree on a standard or just say screw it, we'll open the access to anyone, I doubt we'll ever reach our lofty goal.

That is a sad reminder that companies don't really give a crap about their customers, only their [potential] profits.

on another note, how exactly does the harmony integrate all these devices then?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #388906 01/28/13 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder

That is a sad reminder that companies don't really give a crap about their customers, only their [potential] profits.

on another note, how exactly does the harmony integrate all these devices then?

If only most companies realized that giving a crap about the customer experience often leads to increased profits.

Exhibit A: Apple

fredk #388907 01/28/13 08:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Big A, little a, what begins with A?

Aunt Annie's Apple Apps, A, A, A.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
fredk #388909 01/28/13 09:33 PM
Crap. He's doing it again. He'll be stuck in this loop for hours.

Peter, you're closest. Go over there and wave something shiny in front of him, will 'ya?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
fredk #388943 01/29/13 02:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite

Big M, little M, what begins with M?

Mark's Momma's Motorcycle, M, M, M.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16