Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HEELLLLLP!!!!!
#3890 06/27/02 12:38 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I am going to explain this as simple as I can. First off I am a newbie, so forgive my ignorance. I just received my M60'S to replace the M50'S, I have the Denon 1802 for a reciever to drive 'em. The problem is I had the M50's for just under a month and they sounded nice and big (they replaced a pair of M22'S). The only reason I replaced the M50'S is for even bigger sound, Here is the problem, the Denon had the 50'S sounding crystal clear with plenty of bass (keep in mind I dont have a sub but I do have a VP150 center). Now the just recieved M60's sound muffeled (sorta like if you'd cover your hand over the phone) even in the same mode on the reciever that the M50's were in. I've tried the other various modes messed with the bass & treble and the only one that sounds ok is the Dolby Surround PL 2 mode and even then it places too much info to the center. I've tried tweaking with all other modes and even when I take the volume down in the center channel it sends more info to the M60's, but once again muffled. I know it's not the reciever so is it something I'm doing wrong. Also when i play in this mode It doesnt go as loud as the 5 Channel stereo mode did with the M50'S. Iv'e heard various posters say that the Axiom line is overly bright, well my problem at least with this current setup is UNDERBRIGHT...........PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: HEELLLLLP!!!!!
#3891 06/27/02 02:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Out of phase connections?
Tweeter not working?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#3892 06/27/02 02:43 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What do you mean by "out of phase connections"?

#3893 06/27/02 03:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
make sure you have the positives and negatives properly conntected, not mixed.

make sure all connections are tight.

#3894 06/27/02 04:11 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I dont know if this is the correct way to connect these things but,What I actually did after some playing with the wiring was, slip the bottom possitive connection to the top connection and the same for the negative and now the highs that were missing are coming in clearly. But if this is not the correct way of connecting these speakers please inform me.......Is this what you guys call "Bi-wiring"?

Thanx Fellas

#3895 06/27/02 04:31 AM
shareholder in the making
What you now report indicates that my suggestion to you in "Technical Questions" had some validity. I have M22s and I'm not certain in what condition the M60 terminals were delivered to you. There should be metal jumpers tightly connecting the top and bottom terminals so that it should make no difference whether you connect your speaker wire to the top or bottom. The jumpers connect them. It sounds as if you were previously not connected to the tweeters, possibly because of loose jumpers which you've now tightened in switching to the upper(tweeter) terminals. Assuming that the bottom(mid/woofer) terminals are operating and you have bass and mids, that was the problem.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#3896 06/27/02 04:37 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So the top 2 post control the highs and the bottom 2 control the lows?

#3897 06/27/02 04:51 AM
Yes, although I've never seen the M60s, the convention is for the upper terminals to be connected to the tweeter and the lower to the mid/bass. This allows two separate amplifiers to be used( slight value possibly) or two speaker wires from one amplifier( total nonsense). Again, if the jumpers are tight, it should make no difference which set you connect your speaker wire to.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#3898 06/27/02 06:53 AM
veteran
veteran
kayzim

Hopefully you have everything figured out by now and sounding good. So I have a dumb question - did your 60s come with a little instruction manual? If so, it explains about the connector bar between the top and bottom terminals. If you didn't get a manual - shame on the folks at Axiom! If you did - well.... (psst - read it)

OK now that I have (only slightly) scolded you - I have a question. How many ports (front and back) do your 60s have? Mine are different from the photos posted on the web site, and I am curious as to some design change.

Randyman

#3899 06/27/02 03:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi kayizm et al,

Since I answered your problem by email, kayizm, and Johnk correctly diagnosed your troubles here, I'm posting my response to you for the benefit of others.

Incidentally, thanks, Johnk, for pointing out the nonsense inherent in biwiring and the dubious benefits of bi-amping, at least in most consumer installations.

My email reply to kayzim follows:

"On the the M60ti's rear-panel speaker connectors, there are two gold straps linking the two pairs of gold-plated binding posts. Be sure the knurled knobs are tightened on all four binding posts not only to the speaker cables but to the two gold straps. Those link the midrange/tweeter drivers with the woofers. It doesn't matter whether you connect the speaker cables to the upper or lower pair of connectors as long as the gold straps are securely in place.

What happened was the straps were out of place and you had connected the speaker cables to just the woofer section of the M60ti's, so of course they sounded muffled!

Unfortunately, biwiring is a British fad that migrated to Canadian and US speaker manufacturers about a decade or so ago. It provides no audible benefits whatsoever, nor does it make sense in terms of basic laws of physics. This is why you encountered difficulty--because these two sets of binding posts (for marketing/consumer reasons) are on the rear of your speaker and the gold straps became dislodged.

I regret you had any problems. Please make sure the two gold straps linking the upper and lower sets of terminals are securely in place!

Hope you enjoy your new M60ti's!"

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457