Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 47 of 101 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 100 101
Re: the wine thread
chesseroo #190013 12/30/07 05:07 PM
shareholder in the making
Wine? Force? How exactly do you figure? ;\) I've concluded that the Vinturi does indeed make a difference after a few back-to-back aerated vs. non-aerated tests. Looking forward to more tests soon. I've got a 6+ hour drive with two kids ahead of me today before that happens though...

pmbuko #190018 12/30/07 05:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I wonder if they have a 30d trial policy?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #190699 01/05/08 06:49 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have now gotten into the habit of decanting any “young” bottle of wine I open, with more time sitting before drinking for cabs. I am not as skeptical as Chess in regards to this gadget and will be ordering one. Thanks for the link Adam.

It’s a well known, and proven fact that wine needs to breathe some to open up and really be enjoyed to its full potential, especially if you don't celler it for a few years. Many tasting rooms decant bottles; poor it back into the bottle and let it sit over night for tasting the following day. When visiting tasting rooms it’s pretty important that you know what the tasting room does in this regards if they don’t actually open the bottle in front of you.

michael_d #190749 01/06/08 03:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My Vinturi should be here Monday, I'll grab a good bottle to do a little blind tasting with my wife. Last night we opened a 2003 Chimney Rock Elevage out of the Staggs Leap Disrict in Napa that we have been saving for a year, an intense burst of fruit with an extremely smooth finish, great wine.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
michael_d #190761 01/06/08 05:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
I have now gotten into the habit of decanting any “young” bottle of wine I open, with more time sitting before drinking for cabs.

This is interesting since most bottles that are recommended for 'breathing' are older reds, not younger ones.

Quote:
I am not as skeptical as Chess in regards to this gadget

You know, i have these spare ice cubes that some Eskimo sold me...

Quote:
It’s a well known, and proven fact

Oh, now them's just the taunting words aren't they?

Quote:
Many tasting rooms decant bottles; poor it back into the bottle and let it sit over night for tasting the following day.

Well many people do many weird things in this world. I have a buddy who swears that putting his audio cables on little plastic risers perfectly syncs the sound, but only if they are elevated for exactly 10.2 hours. The same guy bought a wine 'ager' which is apparently a wine coaster with a magnet on the bottom.
The idea is to place the bottle on the coaster for say an hour and it 'ages' the wine a full day/month/year.

Quote:
When visiting tasting rooms it’s pretty important that you know what the tasting room does in this regards if they don’t actually open the bottle in front of you.

My concern is about what they put into the bottles. I've never been keen on that chemical, formaldehyde flavour.

All incredibly humourous wit aside, i AM going to give the aeration concept a solid personal testing for the sake of self and science.
It should be grueling on me i'm sure.

The tests should include pours from a decanter and another pour using an aeration unit (i'll buy it for a friend for his upcoming bday).
All tastes will be done blind of course and i'll round up at least three people for the tastes including two who have worked over their palates for a number of years now.

So to get the parameters set up, which wine should change significantly with aeration that i can get locally?
Maybe a common but tasty US cab? Aussie cab?

Second, how long should the aeration in the decanter be?

Opinions welcome.

AdamP88 #190767 01/06/08 06:20 AM
N
devotee
devotee
N
The Vinturi - nice takeoff of the Venturi Effect

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
chesseroo #190769 01/06/08 06:50 AM
Chess, I'm still not sure if you're debating the entire concept of breathing / aeration being beneficial to a wine's flavor or if you're just skeptical about the efficacy of the Vinturi.

chesseroo #190771 01/06/08 07:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like a fun test :). I'm certainly no expert, but I have found that by decanting young tannic reds it tends to make them drinkable sooner, older reds I will usually decant for around 30 minutes, but there are also many reds we enjoy without decanting. I would grab a young and older full cab for the tasting or possibly even a couple tasty zins.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #190790 01/06/08 04:23 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Chess,

With my older vintage reds (a very nice ’91 Columbia Crest Cab I had last week for example), I use the decanter as well, but its primary purpose is to filter out the sediment. Plus, it just adds to the ambiance of drinking a damn fine bottle of wine…..

With “younger” wines, I am referring to some of 03 cabs I have now (and younger) that I’ve lost patience cellaring and just want to drink. I also grab the decanter for any Petit Syrah’s or Zins. I don’t worry too much about Merlot, Pinot, Syrah, Shiraz or Malbecs. I never use it for whites…. I’m just throwing a WAG out there, but I would say that when using the decanter, it adds no less than two years of cellar time to a bottle. It opens up, brings out the nose and finish and mellows the tannins a bit.

As far as time in the decanter, I suggest one hour or however long it takes for the juice to reach room temperature. Don’t be bashful with swirling it in the decanter while waiting either. My decanter came with a filter that has several small holes in the bottom that spread the flow of wine out to the sides of the decanter. It works very well but I also swirl it a few times.

So give it a try and post back if you think this is all bogus or if you can tell a difference. I’m quite sure you will notice a difference if you go into this with an un-biased attitude.

Michael,

What varietals was that Chimney? I’ve not heard of it before. I like just about anything form the Stag’s Leap District. Come to think of that…are you going to the V2V Stag's Leap District wine tasting this spring? I'm going to make it this time with some freinds of mine.

pmbuko #190810 01/06/08 05:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Chess, I'm still not sure if you're debating the entire concept of breathing / aeration being beneficial to a wine's flavor or if you're just skeptical about the efficacy of the Vinturi.

I can clarify. The test would attempt to answer two things, one truly subjective.

First and most important, is there a difference after using two types of aeration methods?

Secondly and completely subjective, is it better after aeration?

If we can answer the first one more conclusively, then the second question can only be answered by each individual taster at that point. I have no doubt that the addition of air elements into an otherwise closed system such as a wine bottle can elicit chemical changes. I'm questioning the time and methods by which those changes take place and whether they make a noticeable difference within those restrictions (i.e., we could aerate a wine for 7 days before drinking rather than a few hours thus increasing the chance for noticeable change given longer reaction times).

Page 47 of 101 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020