Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Just put through my purchases - looking for more
#39119 03/30/04 08:20 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Well, I just dropped far too much cash on a home theater system.

I am getting a pair of M80ti's, a pair of QS8s, a VP150 (all in black oak) and 3 full metal brackets (for the QS8s and the VP150).

The sad news is I only got 5% off for ordering 5 pieces, the other 5% for not getting the 30 day money back guarantee is no longer available. Even sadder is the fact I am too impatient to wait 7 weeks for an order from the factory outlet which would have given me enough money off to completely cover the despicable GST (a satanic Canadian tax). The good news is the speakers should be on my doorstep in 5 business days

I also just purchased an SVS 16-46 PC Plus subwoofer, which will probably take a few more days to arrive. Anyone know how long UPS takes to ship to Canada?

I also ordered an Yamaha RX-V2400 from A&B sound. I *think* they screwed up on the price, as they have both the RX-V1400 and the RX-V2400 for the same price of $1199 Canadian, which is less than the MSRP for the 2400. Of course, it could just be a pre-order deal, but I like to think I am getting a real discount

Total cost to this point in CDN dollars: $5322.55.

My next step is to get a CD/DVD player. Both Future Shop and Best Buy have the Pioneer 563a for $259 Canadian. I have heard/read this is the best player for the coin right now, as it will play SACD and DVD-A, although the DVD picture isnt the absolute best, as there is no DVI out.

Of course, I have also heard that DVI sucks compared to component video, and that DVI is just a big business conspiracy to stop movie pirating, but I'm not sure. Will have to test them for myself eventually I guess.

The last, and possible most important step, is the purchase of a large screen TV that will do this sound system justice.

As mitsubishi is no longer available in Canada, I am trying to decide between 4 different Rear Projection TVs (most size and picture quality for the coin).

The three contenders are the Philips 60PW9363 for $2800,
the Toshiba 65H83 for $4000,
the Toshiba 65HX83 for 4500,
and the Hitachi 65S500 for 5000.

The Philips is HD ready, and the rest are all HD, which is part of the reason the price is quite a bit lower. As well, the Philips picture seems to be slightly darker, and the viewable range seems to be less. However, it is a LOT cheaper. Anyone out there own one that can give me some thoughts?

The two Toshibas are last year's model and this year's model. There doesnt really seem to be a visible picture difference between the two. The Hitachi also seems to have a picture quality very similar to the two Toshibas. All of these TVs are quite pricey though, and I am not to happy about spending many thousands of dollars when LCoS and reasonable looking DLP large screen TVs are only 3 or 4 years away.

For a while I was also thinking about ordering the Apex GB65HD09W from Amazon, and driving to the US to pick it up, as the size for price is FAR superior to anything available in Canada, but Amazon has discontinued the model, and I cant find anywhere else that sells a 65" TV for less than $1400 US.

Anyone out there know where I can get a huge TV really cheap? Other than off a hijacked truck I mean
Seriously though, what would you buy next if you were in my place?

Re: Just put through my purchases - looking for more
#39120 03/30/04 08:30 PM
local
local
My next week tv will be Sony LCD RPTV 50". I think it costs 3,299.00 + plus tax. BestBuy in my area has a promotion of either 10% off or 2 year payment plan with no interest.

#39121 03/30/04 08:55 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
brent - MOST EXCELLENT!!. Strip down and dive right into the deep end. You are gonna LOVE the equipment when you get it all hooked up. I expect your choices were influenced by the overwhelming (and sometimes accurate) input of the loose cannons on this board.

Let me wade into the TV pool for you. (unsolicited advice switch on). I'll second the choice of the Sony GWIII LCD at 50' or 60" (yeah, I've had one for a year). Slim, light, no burn-in issues (CRTs have them) and right in the price ball park. Excellent picture, good viewing angles. There are complaints about black levels, but this is not a noticeable problem

Second choice might go to DLP. Slim, light. Equally good picture as LCDs (arguments ensue as to which is better). Little better black levels. No burn-in, same price levels, good viewing angles. Some folks see rainbows in the screen and others get mild nausea - both isseus appear to be with small percentages.

I suspect you have done the research already, but something I thought worthwhile to mention. Good Luck and enjoy.

Ray

#39122 03/31/04 07:02 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Brent,
I would recommend the Hitachi TV. My dad recently purchased a 57F500 and he absolutely loves it. I absolutely love it. The picture quality is great and I can't imagine picture getting "that much" better at any price. Plus, Hitachi has a proven track record.

#39123 03/31/04 12:33 PM
devotee
devotee
With that kind of setup, I think you would be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't consider purchasing a front projector, such as the Sony HS20, Sanyo Z2, Panasonic AE500, or Infocus X1 (if you've tapped out the funds). The bang for the buck factor is tremendous....60"...try 10 feet.

#39124 03/31/04 03:38 PM
veteran
veteran
stick with Hitachi

make sure you get the S series

#39125 04/01/04 04:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have a Phillips 60" HDTV. It's an ugly gray and the speakers are pretty wooly sounding, but for $1500 US I've been laughing all the way to the bank. The picture is great!, the picture is huge! IMO buy the Phillips, save your money and 10+ years from now (when all this HD technology has sorted itself out) you can be sure that whatever you buy will be suitable for your needs then.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,324 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup