PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Re: Bryston Model T Mini bookshelf speaker
Ian #391615 04/02/13 01:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Ian
Instead of having to guess from the look of the outside, here is a picture of the Model T before the parts are installed. Brace yourself: it's baffling to us how some people think this speaker is anything other than a beast! That's a 1.5 inch thick front baffle and one pile of intricately positioned braces!

Thank you for the picture Ian; I tapped the Model T, I listened to it but I didn't think it has such a bracing system.
I asked the nice people from Bryston to rise the volume level a bit, not crazy loud but loud enough for me: I think these speakers are phenomenal.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
ponch0069 #393462 05/27/13 04:59 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
A subjective but nice 'Model T' User Review from 'Zissou' in the AVS Speaker Forum:

Just a few observations from the first few hours with the Bryston Model T speakers. I haven’t had nearly enough time with them but in my experience what we perceive in the first little while doesn’t tend to change too much. These really are quite unlike any other speakers

Firstly, these are very warm and musical speakers in the best possible way whilst they reflect all that is happening in a recording they do not do it in a cold or clinical way this is far preferable over “audiophile” speakers and the recent trend to tilt the treble up in an etched manner.

The bass is well extended and “quick” transients are preserved and well served. I have measured useful response down to 20hz, indeed these are full range speakers.

The highs at first caused me some puzzlement I was not sure I was getting the full measure of the treble. This was put to rest while listening to some of my reference classical pieces.
High frequency instruments such as bells were placed PROPERLY in the sound stage while other speakers tended to push them forward. While I do not think this is the most refined tweeter, most apparent on rock recording and cymbals, I believe it is a perfect match for these speakers and their overall coherence which is about as good as it gets in dynamic speakers. In terms of dynamic range one of Bryston's stated goals was to limit compression and I think this goal has been met.
No speaker has unlimited dynamics as we know but the Model T is certainly in the top tier of this parameter indeed full range symphony recordings are superbly reproduced this is a great speaker for fans of Mahler’s somewhat overwrought symphonies.
Susskind’s reading of Jupiter from Holst’s Planets (listening in DSD) is a true joy to listen to on these speakers.

The sound-staging is a revelation in this size speaker and price point. Depth is rendered in a wonderful manner and the layering within that depth is appropriate, well sized and accurate. This is a true revelation as other speakers the equal of these are at a much higher price point sometime 4 to 5 times as much. What Bryston has achieved, re their design goals, will be a game changer. As these become better known there will be a lot of sleepless nights for speaker designers and marketing departments in other companies.

To sum up these are superb transducers that punch well above their rather silly cheap price point. These speakers have the potential to truly shake up the high end industry and THAT is something that is long overdue.

Priced at $6495 a pair.

TAM

ponch0069 #393481 05/27/13 11:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm glad he's happy. I don't want a parallel AVS flame fest or anything, but saying that $6495 a pair is "stupid cheap" detracts from his credibility. And I'm calling BS on "useful" 20Hz response.

I'm sure it's a great speaker. But that review just smacks of audiophilia in the worst connotations. I'm flabbergasted that there is no mention of wires.

Congrats to Axiom and Bryston for a job apparently very well done.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #393485 05/28/13 01:50 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'm glad he's happy. I don't want a parallel AVS flame fest or anything, but saying that $6495 a pair is "stupid cheap" detracts from his credibility. And I'm calling BS on "useful" 20Hz response.

I'm sure it's a great speaker. But that review just smacks of audiophilia in the worst connotations. I'm flabbergasted that there is no mention of wires.

Congrats to Axiom and Bryston for a job apparently very well done.

Let's face it, for $6495.00 he better be happy! No bookshelf speaker is worth that kind of money.

ponch0069 #393493 05/28/13 03:36 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Maybe he is 'stupid rich'...

TAM

ponch0069 #393495 05/28/13 03:44 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I want to apologize for my reaction.

I thought that the review was related to the Model T MINI discussed earlier in this thread.

The much larger Model T floorstanders seem to be rated down to 25Hz.

I'd love to hear them someday.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
ponch0069 #393501 05/28/13 07:35 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
No problem; however, I was just over at AVS & the Model T post is gone without a trace. Strange...

TAM

exlabdriver #393521 05/28/13 02:50 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
No problem; however, I was just over at AVS & the Model T post is gone without a trace. Strange...

TAM

More than likely they pulled the post after they read the company brochure about the speaker. Essentially , it stated on the last page that "without the help of Axiom, the project of developing and building this speaker would have never happened".

After all the glowing attributes in the review and then looking looking at the trolls that bash Axiom on the sight,once again, their credibility, (what there is left of it) takes another hit.

ponch0069 #393530 05/28/13 05:04 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I went over there again this morning & even did a search of the AVS Speaker Forum - it is completely gone with no trace. Interestingly the poster had over a thousand posts there.

I'm not going to speculate nor query it there but at we at least have a copy here & I'm glad that I caught it before it departed the scene...

TAM

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020