Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Breakin time
TroyD #392784 05/06/13 04:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sometime ago I listened to a radio documentary where a marketing company figured out the optimum length of time to offer a product as a free trial. In this case, "optimum" meant 'long enough that the consumer felt they could buy risk free but also long enough that the likely hood of the consumer being willing to return the product, was greatly increased."

My opinion is that a stated "break in period" is designed to serve much the same purpose. Eventually, you get used to them and the thought of going through a return cycle starts to feel less inviting.

Trial periods, however, are great especially for the consumer in this new online purchase world. One just has to enter the transaction being mentally prepared to take advantage of it if you don't get exactly what you expected.

By the way, this radio documentary is a weekly show on CBC radio that talks about marketing. It is quiet aptly named "Under the Influence."

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #392788 05/06/13 05:08 PM
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: Murph
It is quiet aptly named "Under the Influence."

It's clear now as to what prompted you to tune in!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Murph #392790 05/06/13 05:14 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Sometime ago I listened to a radio documentary where a marketing company figured out the optimum length of time to offer a product as a free trial. In this case, "optimum" meant 'long enough that the consumer felt they could buy risk free but also long enough that the likely hood of the consumer being willing to return the product, was greatly increased."

My opinion is that a stated "break in period" is designed to serve much the same purpose. Eventually, you get used to them and the thought of going through a return cycle starts to feel less inviting.

Trial periods, however, are great especially for the consumer in this new online purchase world. One just has to enter the transaction being mentally prepared to take advantage of it if you don't get exactly what you expected.

By the way, this radio documentary is a weekly show on CBC radio that talks about marketing. It is quiet aptly named "Under the Influence."

An interesting analogy and no doubt quite correct, however, when it comes to the topic at hand, speakers, most of these companies still sell through retailers and it is the retailer that determines any sort of return policy, not the manufacturer. Unfortunately, unless you have some sort of arrangement with the dealer, after you buy them and take them home and use them for awhile, the best case scenario is an exchange, not your money back.

Murph #392795 05/06/13 09:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite

Awesome show! I catch it whenever I can.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
TroyD #392814 05/07/13 02:09 AM
J
J
Ken, I think you are referring to the torture test Axiom does on their speakers where they run +700W through the speakers for hours on end. I am pretty sure this isn't the same as a test run before shipping the speakers to the purchaser.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #392818 05/07/13 02:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
They also put each speaker though a 'quasi anechoic chamber' at the end of the line. I'm pretty sure Ian explained that here some time ago. What they did was build a small chamber on the line and calibrated it using a known reference speaker and measurements from the full chamber. As I remember it, this was a way to verify that the response of each speaker was as expected.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #392833 05/07/13 04:31 AM
Yes, Ian has occasionally spoken of the "big" chamber to distinguish it from the "mini" chamber used in testing all drivers, as Alan described here

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

TroyD #392845 05/07/13 11:23 AM
old hand
old hand
There is data that definitely shows changes in the characteristics of the drivers after the break-in; actually hearing these differences is another story.
My point of view is that at least the bottom end should improve a bit; all the rubber parts (gaskets and surrounding of the diaphragm where applicable).
How long is needed it's another issue; I would guess that it varies wildly, and that in some cases the speakers are broken-in when you receive them.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
casey01 #392851 05/07/13 12:28 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
it may be that enough "audiophiles" believe speakers, like speaker wiring, need some break-in time, so:
some manufacturers say their speakers need it.
they sell more.

simple enough, i think.

TroyD #392855 05/07/13 02:04 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I'm fairly sure I heard a difference around 20hrs.
The highs seemed to mellow out a bit. At that time I really began to notice how clean they sounded.
It could be that I hadn't really turned them up until around that time.
I listened an hour here and an hour there. They were never on without me listening in those first +/-20 hours.
It could have been me, their position, any number of things really.
It did happen while I was listening. All of a sudden its like they relaxed.
Up till that time I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision. All smiles since.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup