AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13323 Members
11 Forums
22900 Topics
404649 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10903
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392784 - 05/06/13 12:35 PM Re: Breakin time [Re: TroyD]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Sometime ago I listened to a radio documentary where a marketing company figured out the optimum length of time to offer a product as a free trial. In this case, "optimum" meant 'long enough that the consumer felt they could buy risk free but also long enough that the likely hood of the consumer being willing to return the product, was greatly increased."

My opinion is that a stated "break in period" is designed to serve much the same purpose. Eventually, you get used to them and the thought of going through a return cycle starts to feel less inviting.

Trial periods, however, are great especially for the consumer in this new online purchase world. One just has to enter the transaction being mentally prepared to take advantage of it if you don't get exactly what you expected.

By the way, this radio documentary is a weekly show on CBC radio that talks about marketing. It is quiet aptly named "Under the Influence."

#392788 - 05/06/13 01:08 PM Re: Breakin time [Re: Murph]
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
Originally Posted By: Murph
It is quiet aptly named "Under the Influence."

It's clear now as to what prompted you to tune in!

#392790 - 05/06/13 01:14 PM Re: Breakin time [Re: Murph]
casey01 Offline
aficionado

Loc: Toronto
Sometime ago I listened to a radio documentary where a marketing company figured out the optimum length of time to offer a product as a free trial. In this case, "optimum" meant 'long enough that the consumer felt they could buy risk free but also long enough that the likely hood of the consumer being willing to return the product, was greatly increased."

My opinion is that a stated "break in period" is designed to serve much the same purpose. Eventually, you get used to them and the thought of going through a return cycle starts to feel less inviting.

Trial periods, however, are great especially for the consumer in this new online purchase world. One just has to enter the transaction being mentally prepared to take advantage of it if you don't get exactly what you expected.

By the way, this radio documentary is a weekly show on CBC radio that talks about marketing. It is quiet aptly named "Under the Influence."

An interesting analogy and no doubt quite correct, however, when it comes to the topic at hand, speakers, most of these companies still sell through retailers and it is the retailer that determines any sort of return policy, not the manufacturer. Unfortunately, unless you have some sort of arrangement with the dealer, after you buy them and take them home and use them for awhile, the best case scenario is an exchange, not your money back.

#392795 - 05/06/13 05:49 PM Re: Breakin time [Re: Murph]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada

Awesome show! I catch it whenever I can.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#392814 - 05/06/13 10:09 PM Re: Breakin time [Re: TroyD]
jakewash Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Ken, I think you are referring to the torture test Axiom does on their speakers where they run +700W through the speakers for hours on end. I am pretty sure this isn't the same as a test run before shipping the speakers to the purchaser.

My HT

#392818 - 05/06/13 10:38 PM Re: Breakin time [Re: jakewash]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
They also put each speaker though a 'quasi anechoic chamber' at the end of the line. I'm pretty sure Ian explained that here some time ago. What they did was build a small chamber on the line and calibrated it using a known reference speaker and measurements from the full chamber. As I remember it, this was a way to verify that the response of each speaker was as expected.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#392833 - 05/07/13 12:31 AM Re: Breakin time [Re: fredk]
JohnK Offline

Yes, Ian has occasionally spoken of the "big" chamber to distinguish it from the "mini" chamber used in testing all drivers, as Alan described here

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#392845 - 05/07/13 07:23 AM Re: Breakin time [Re: TroyD]
AdrianD Offline
old hand

Loc: Maple, Ontario
There is data that definitely shows changes in the characteristics of the drivers after the break-in; actually hearing these differences is another story.
My point of view is that at least the bottom end should improve a bit; all the rubber parts (gaskets and surrounding of the diaphragm where applicable).
How long is needed it's another issue; I would guess that it varies wildly, and that in some cases the speakers are broken-in when you receive them.

#392851 - 05/07/13 08:28 AM Re: Breakin time [Re: casey01]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Quebec, Canada
it may be that enough "audiophiles" believe speakers, like speaker wiring, need some break-in time, so:
some manufacturers say their speakers need it.
they sell more.

simple enough, i think.

#392855 - 05/07/13 10:04 AM Re: Breakin time [Re: TroyD]
brwsaw Offline
connoisseur

I'm fairly sure I heard a difference around 20hrs.
The highs seemed to mellow out a bit. At that time I really began to notice how clean they sounded.
It could be that I hadn't really turned them up until around that time.
I listened an hour here and an hour there. They were never on without me listening in those first +/-20 hours.
It could have been me, their position, any number of things really.
It did happen while I was listening. All of a sudden its like they relaxed.
Up till that time I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision. All smiles since.

I spend a lot of time trying to find a way to save it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.