Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
And it starts...(new receiver: marantz sr5007)
#393000 05/11/13 09:32 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I started a lot of thread making a few months ago about uograding all my equipment and movimg into the 21st century of high fidelity home theatre. The original plan: buy a complete m80 theatre system minus subwoofer, buy a svs pb13-ultra, buy either the marantz sr5007 or the pioneer sc-61 to be paired with my rotel rmb-1095(with plans to replace with am emotiva xpr5.

well after many other expenditures, I will have to build in pieces. First piece...my new marantz sr5007! smile im new to almost every "feature" it has. After hooking it up the other day and running audyssey half assed, im already blown away. I put on skyfall blu ray through my ps3 and played through my existing 5.0 setup(no subwoofer frown ). It sounds like I have new speakers. The difference is amazing. Sounds much more detailed, precise and smooth. I grew accustomed to tailoring my sound before through an equalizer, which has now been removed, and the "oomph" I was used to having with my d8 cerwim vegas, which I ver much liked, isnt there unfortunately. But when the bass does hit, its much better...if that makes sense lol

This weekend I will be ordering 2 m80's smile eventually the centre and a subwoofer will come next.

i'm so looking forward to placing my order this weekend smile

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Re: And it starts...(new receiver: marantz sr5007)
Mad_Chesser #393009 05/12/13 01:52 AM
shareholder in the making
Very good, Nick; enjoy.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #393030 05/12/13 05:56 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I'm still very unsure, even after scouring the owner's manual, about the different audio modes? I can set it to one of 3 different categories (music, movie or game) and under each category are the followinh options: stereo, dolby pro logic II, neo surround sound(or something to that effect, cant quite remember), multi channel stereo or auto. Then there is a 4th category called direct(and if you push and hold it goes to super direct mode).

does this make sense to anyone? If its set to auto, how do I know if its running the optimal format? I should note that im using a ps3. How do I take advantage of dts on some of my blu rays? What about this PCM I read about?

Forgive me if this sounds stupid...im totally out of my element here.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #393037 05/13/13 04:22 AM
It doesn't sound stupid; it sounds like typical Denon/Marantz manual indiscernibility. Modern HT receivers and their manuals are all relatively complex, and the D&M manuals are particularly difficult. I'd suggest that mastering it is just slightly less difficult than mastering the Semi-Slav.

I looked at the 5007 manual. You probably are mainly concerned with the "Selecting a listening mode" section beginning at page 71. Playing a CD on your PS3, you'd press Music and select one of the listed modes. Straight 2-channel Stereo would be the default with Auto, but I never use Stereo. I always use DPLII(preferred slightly over the similar Neo:6)to extract surround ambience imprisoned in the front channels and send it to the surrounds where it belongs. The 5007 then "remembers" the mode you used last for that type of material and uses it unless you select a different one.

Playing a Blu-ray or other video disc, you'd press Movie and select the mode from those listed. For a Blu-ray you'd select multi-channel PCM(if the player had decoded the DTS to the basic digital PCM), or DTS-Master if the receiver is going to decode to PCM the original DTS as output by the player.

I never use any type of "Direct", since it allows no processing, and I want all the processing that is helpful.

Multi-channel stereo simply duplicates the front speakers in the surrounds and isn't as realistic as a mode such as DPLII which sends ambient material to them.

JohnK #393049 05/13/13 01:57 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thank you. A lot of that was very helpful.

You mentioned selecting on the amp, when playing a blu ray on the ps3, dts master or pcm. No such options are available under "movie". Only stereo, dolby pro logic II, neo:6, extended stereo or direct.

Am I missing something here?

Btw, loved the difficulty reference to the semi-slav lol smile

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #393064 05/14/13 01:54 AM
Just took another quick look at the manual. I wonder if somehow we're not "on the same page"(literally)since there doesn't appear to be a mention of an "extended stereo" mode. Unfortunately, since I don't have a 5007 or similar Denon/Marantz unit and am simply relying on a reading(misreading?)of the manual, I can't experiment to come up with the modes listed there. If someone with a similar unit would point out the specific procedure they follow it'd be helpful.

As it stands, it appears to state at pp.71 et seq that if multichannel signals are being input, repeated pushes of Movie change the modes.

Mad_Chesser #393068 05/14/13 02:45 AM
J
J
On my Denon, IIRC, you would select from the menu the input for the BR player and from there change the input sources for this "input" as required. You can then select auto decode under the audio setting for this input, from this the Denon defaults to what ever signal the BR player is sending to the avr whether it be DTS-HD, DOLBY True HD, Multi channel in(PCM) or what ever it is receiving from the player.

The 5007 sounds similar, you select the input you are using then decide what the avr should do to decode the audio signal. You can also go in and change these settings manually from other areas in the GUI, it can take some time playing around and remembering what setting does what with these somewhat complex avr's.

So for music listening you would select the "Music" input from the menu and inside this section you should be able to select what the avr should do with the audio portion for the signal and then further refinements can be made under the "manual" settings(not under the MUSIC input but a separate section in the GUI) where you should be able make the Dolby PLIIX settings for 2 channel inputs etc.

It really is hard to guide you with all the intricacies of the settings, have you looked at the owners thread on AVS? There is usually some good info on those threads.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #393079 05/14/13 04:10 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks to both of you. Great advice from both. Yep jake, found an owners thread on avs.

I had to push and hold the power button on my ps3 to "reset" it's configurations since it was sending stereo through hdmi into the tv before getting this Marantz.

The advice on avs was to set the ps3 to bitstream. I can do this once any blu ray has been put in through the ps3 pop up menu while the movie is playing. it gives me a warning when I do that "some audio may not be present when choosing this option". After I did that john, the proper corresponding options should up in my "movie" audio menu. For the dark knight it was dolby true master hd(among other choices like "multi channel in") and on fight club it gave the option DTS. it defaulted to these automatically though and like you said, it remembers what I've choosen.

I was sure wowed after watching the transport scene on the dark knight, even with only my 5.0 setup, it was pretty impressive. I'm in awe...and I always love this fleeting feeling when it comes to stereo lol

Though, I'm sure noticing things I didn't hear and some of them are good and some of them are bad. The bad things I'm hearing are the limitations of my cheap, mismatched, old speakers I think. At especially loud moments in the transport scene I was detecting some raspiness/distortion that sounded nasty to me. I think it's mainly coming from my center and rears. the weakest link in my setup.

My order for my m80s literally was just processed. Can't wait smile

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #393084 05/14/13 11:05 AM
veteran
veteran
I don't know how the Marantz user interface works but my Denon's is totally user hostile. It can drive you nuts. What happens is the menu items on the various pages change depending on the source input being played or was last played. So for example, if the last movie I played had DTSMA audio I would see specific settings. If I next play 2 channel music, all the menu settings totally change.

I can't tell you how many times I navigated every single page of every single setting looking for something I could swear I saw yesterday and not be able to find. It's infuriating. I am in the software business and I can tell you the design of the UI sucks big time.

Ultimately what I need to do whenever I want to make a change is playback a movie of every audio type and music type (2/5.1 ch) and adjust the settings for every source in order to make the changes stick. The only saving grace for the design is the Quick Select feature which will saves/recalls most settings, I have one setup for movie playback and another for music.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.
Boltron #393113 05/15/13 06:31 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
thanks for all that great advice. It's definitely a different kind of interface. Especially for someone who hasn't used a new receiver like this.

All of it's so new to me.

And on that note: I'm noticing some issues.

I've figured out all my previous problems, but now a new one.

My rears and center channel speakers are mix matched bookshelf speakers. They have always sounded great. The sound dynamics for the rears are particularly nice, or so I thought.

I've always enjoyed the crisp, detailed sound they provide. They can play loud too and still sound good.

But hooked up to this amp, when I play a loud action scene on a blu ray, and only during a loud output scene, the center and rear speakers have noticeable distortion...it's so noticeable and it's going to cause me to tear my hair out. I'm sooooo disappointed with that.

My last receiver was a Yamaha that is something like 12-15 years old.

The surround sound effects and quality of sound, the separation of the channels and the soundstage in the front, it's all EXTREMELY noticeably better.

So if there is this much difference in sound quality, is it possible the Marantz is showing me just how crappy my mixed matched old system is? Is that possibly why the center and surrounds in my 5.0 system are distorting? Why wouldn't I have heard it when my old Yamaha was hooked up?

My setup seems sound. I've went over it again and again and even hooked up the old amp to double check. No problem with the old amp, but again, the sound sounds almost stone age compared to my new Marantz.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940