axiomite
axiomite
Back to basics.

Good wine.

Joseph Estate.
http://www.josephsestatewines.com/wine.html
Vintage Country Red.
semi sweet to sweet (3 on the 6 scale).
Great before dinner or late evening light drink.

$11 Cdn/btl.
Limited area of service though.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: the wine thread
chesseroo #189776 12/28/07 11:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
New Year's 2008 is upcoming.
As yet an unknown selection of red wines will be set forth for blind taste testing.

Tentatively:
Beringer 2000 Knight's Valley cab sav
Lindemans 1997 Pyrus cab sav/merlot/cab franc

chesseroo #189881 12/29/07 08:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have a new must buy gadget for all you wine snobs out there.

The Vinturi

"Simply hold vinturi over a glass and pour wine through. vinturi draws in and mixes the proper amount of air for the right amount of time, allowing your wine to breathe instantly. you'll notice a better bouquet, enhanced flavors and smoother finish. it's that fast. it's that easy."

This is one of the few instances where the marketing hype on some gadget is actually true. The guy pouring at Rosenblum's in Alameda had us all try a couple of their reserve zins from the bottle and through the Vinturi, and it was unanimous - the wine through the Vinturi really was smoother, more nuanced and had a better mouthfeel and bouquet. It's quite amazing what a difference it makes, actually. I belong to a wine club that I've been getting bored with, as most of the wines are nothing to write home about. The Vinturi has turned a few of them that were mediocre before into really enjoyable glasses.

Highly recommended!

AdamP88 #189884 12/29/07 09:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh Adam, that is simply fanTAStic!!

{insert rolly eyes here}

Although aeration can change a wine's character through the introduction of oxygen and opening the wine to release its own bottled components to the air, the processes by which the wine will change (oxidation of tannins and other components or evaporation of alcohol) will vary with many factors (humidity, temperature, even the energy by which aeration occurs).

However, this is one test i have not tried.
Two bottles, equal in all respects. One aerated, one not, in an A/B blind test.
This IS a test i will do some day at least two or three times with bottles that are supposed to be 'better' after aeration.
I'll get some recommendations from the local sommelier (who is very qualified and extremely knowledgeable and has accreditations for his background) for the tests.

chesseroo #189891 12/29/07 10:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Gee, thanks for the rolly eyes, chess. Not quite sure if it's condescension I'm detecting or just skepticism, but then I guess I'm not a qualified, accredited and extremely knowledgeable interpreter of the tone of internet posts. \:\/

I'm well aware that there are variables that can change how aeration affects wine. All I'm saying is that I like the effect the Vinturi's accelerated aeration has on the wines I've tried it with.

AdamP88 #189892 12/29/07 10:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: AdamP88
Gee, thanks for the rolly eyes, chess. Not quite sure if it's condescension I'm detecting or just skepticism, but then I guess I'm not a qualified, accredited and extremely knowledgeable interpreter of the tone of internet posts. \:\/

Yes, sorry about that, more skepticism than anything. Not condescension. I should have changed the rolly eyes to a 'raised brow' instead.
;\)
Your post just read a bit like an ad for the unit.
I don't disagree with the potential science for the conclusions but i still think tasting two identical bottles blind would be the ultimate indication of truth short of a complete chemical analysis which would be virtually impossible given all the components in wine.

This would be a fun thing to try for the wine club.

AdamP88 #189893 12/29/07 11:00 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
I'm a skeptic. The Vinturi looks like the equivalent of monster cables for my speakers, but then again, what do I know.

I'm no snob, but love to try some new wines when I am in the Okanagan region of BC for work. Found a beautiful Pinot Gris from Grey Monk last time I was there. Also was a big fan of Jackson Triggs Meritage.

My wife likes her white Zin and we just tried a Zin from Barefoot vinyards in California that is her new favorite. Great compliment to some spicy foods.

chesseroo #189895 12/29/07 11:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I realized it did sound much like an ad, but I actually am quite impressed with it. I even considered writing a customer testimonial, and I never consider doing those. I have the fullest confidence that you would easily differentiate between the two blind.

Actually, Peter is going to be over in a couple days (he got one for xmas, heh), along with a few friends and cousins. Might be a good time to do a little blind tasting.

Last edited by AdamP88; 12/29/07 11:14 PM.
AdamP88 #189901 12/30/07 02:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Adam you sold me \:\) If they are using it at Rosenblum's that's enough for me, they happen to be my favorite wine club, I've never had anything short of good from them and their Zin's are remarkable. On certain bolder vintages my wife and I have always used a decanter and really have noticed the positive effect it has on the smoothness and taste, but I've never been crazy about washing and drying the thing. If it works as well or better than a decanter I'll be a happy customer.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
AdamP88 #190008 12/30/07 04:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: AdamP88
I realized it did sound much like an ad, but I actually am quite impressed with it. I even considered writing a customer testimonial, and I never consider doing those. I have the fullest confidence that you would easily differentiate between the two blind.
Actually, Peter is going to be over in a couple days (he got one for xmas, heh), along with a few friends and cousins.

So what you are really saying is that Peter should buy ME one for Christmas then?

Quote:
Might be a good time to do a little blind tasting.

Indeed.
You force that wine down his gullet and then post your opinion here after.

Page 46 of 101 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020