Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Made Some Sawdust today.
#394503 06/24/13 03:01 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
So I have been see sawing back and forth for quite some time
about building my new project. I have been reading a thread that's 111 pages alone on the speakers I have been wanting to build. I am building a modified version of the Seas Thor which is a MTM Transmission Line speaker similar to a salk. Since it first design by Dr. Joseph D'Appolito it has had some corrections made to its design as new information has been learned over the years.The latest inception is called the Fat Thor. Here are some pics of the first day,man it was hot outside only worked about 4 hrs.

This is what it will look like inside eventually

[

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: Made Some Sawdust today.
Gr8_White_North #394504 06/24/13 04:14 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Very interesting project, Richard. Is there some specific reference to the modifications to Dr. D'Appolito's design(less than 111 pages long)that you can cite?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Gr8_White_North #394505 06/24/13 04:26 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Very cool. I really admire people who do that kind of cabinet work.

How much do the drivers cost? What is the modeled FR? Who did the crossover design? The enclosure?

That is one big cabinet.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
JohnK #394506 06/24/13 04:27 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
To be honest john , I can only tell you the benefits of the changes that were made. It is mostly to improve the bass response. The TS parameters of the original driver had changed over time. The box was made larger and the baffle was inverted and round port was incorporated vs a square mass loaded port. Also when Joseph designed these he was using current thinking of the time and it was later discovered that the box was too small for the drivers chosen. I really don't have any desire to learn TL
speaker design, and not nearly enough math background most likely. The drivers are 2g so I hope it sounds good. I needed a summer project and I finally got off my butt and started. I will buy the drivers once the box's are done.

Honestly at one point a (bogey) expert showed up in the thread and it got really technical and I had to skip over a few posts.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #394512 06/24/13 03:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cool.

I am working on my subwoofer project and it is no where near as involved as your speaker project will be.

I am getting really close to the "finishing" stage, and I am still torn on how I want to lay down the paint. Completely different than if I was making speakers as I would probably veneer them and just paint the front baffle, but with the sub, it will be painted black. While mine will be hidden, I still want a nice finish. I was going to break out the HVLP sprayer, but I am dreading the mess of overspray everywhere and the sprayer cleanup.

Anyway, how do you plan to finish your speakers?

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #394525 06/24/13 04:46 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Rich:

It's amazing what you guys with talent, patience & the right tools can do with wood.

I leave it to Ian's CNC machine as the only thing that I know how to use is a credit card, ha!!

TAM

Gr8_White_North #394532 06/24/13 06:56 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have been following your project nick. It kinda inspired me to get my own going. Since i dont really need the speakers i can take my time with them. I haven't totally decided on the finish though they will be piano black with possibly of blue ghosting using base coast clear coat and some veneer implemented,still looking around to get some inspiration. I have some automotive hvlp paint guns so i will do like i did when i built my sub box last year. Base coat / clear coat is the easiest way to get a really great shine with little effort. Maybe have a body shop spray it. I used a high build primer so it would be nice and straight along with good ol bondo. Wood fillers are just to soft and slow.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #394534 06/24/13 07:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I want to hvlp paint mine, but like I said, it can be messy in a garage. Haven't decided yet.

Oh, and I have already started with the Bondo a little last night. Just filling in things at this point. Debating if I want to put a layer of bondo on the whole thing or not just for a consistant surface. I've read up on some finishing threads elsewhere and one guy's massive testing/experimentation thread about how to prevent seams from showing by routing a grove along every joint and filling with Bondo. Maybe something I will look into as well. I know that I would do it with speakers for sure.

I just don't want to go the way of "truck bedliner" like so many people do. Looks cheap to me, but I understand that different people have differnt tastes/time/experience/tools.

I might need to find a source for some high build primer. Hmmm... Was told to start with a couple of coats of Zinsser BIN primer/sealer for the MDF, but I don't think that it will be the same as the "high build" stuff in the end. Then again, if I do the "groove/Bondo" route, then the high build stuff isn't as important.

That is what makes finishing a cabinet so difficult. Even the pros can't agree on how to do it many times, and it leaves an amatuer like me scratching my head and researching like nuts.

It is also a testament to why real wood speakers and custom finishes are so pricy. Companies like Axiom that take the time to do it right have a lot of man hours in each speaker. That is also why I am not overly excited about doing a project like this in the near future unless I get the finish where I want it.

Fun stuff!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #394536 06/24/13 07:39 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
If you put it behind you screen it really wont matter much. I have seen high build in a can. When I spray in the garage I put a house fan in the door way the suck the fumes out. If your garage is attached to the house I would not spray inside . During the summer I wait for a hot day and spray in the afternoon.

When I built my sub I used 45's and then a 3/4 round over bit. Just had a few small bits to fill with bondo, just used my finger to apply it. After that i used the high build.

One mistake I made was not fully painting the inside. That mdf stinks forever. plus its harmfull. Next project is to take mine apart and paint it inside.

Last edited by Socketman; 06/24/13 07:48 PM.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
exlabdriver #394538 06/24/13 07:41 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
Rich:

It's amazing what you guys with talent, patience & the right tools can do with wood.

I leave it to Ian's CNC machine as the only thing that I know how to use is a credit card, ha!!

TAM

Different strokes for different folk. You like to golf , I like doing stuff with my hands. Good distraction, the best results come from doing something you enjoy.

BTW I am still plenty handy with the credit card too.

richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020