C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I'm not really in the market for a tricycle, but I am thinking about getting a bicycle. Any experts here?

I doubt I'll get into riding very hardcore at all, so I just want to spend enough to get me something that won't let me down during my leisurely rides on paved trails only. What should I be looking for, or what models would you recommend specifically? I can get something worthwhile for under $300, right?

Re: Bicycle or Tricycle Advicycle
CV #394798 07/02/13 12:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I would be looking at a performance hybrid bike myself, Charles. They are great for both urban style riding and your paved trail riding...many can handle moderately maintained unpaved trails too. I've used my Jamis Coda Elite for years in town and on unpaved, somewhat bumpy trails with no issues. Performance Hybrid bikes are kind of a combo of city bike(gearing, 700c tires) with a mountain bike style frame(upright riding position, straight bar). $300 would be around entry level on one of the non-dep't store bikes, I believe.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #394803 07/02/13 05:34 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Adrian! I can go up a couple of hundred dollars, but there's no way I want to approach $1000 is all. Chris has me looking at this one:

Giant Roam 3

What do you think?

CV #394807 07/02/13 10:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Giant is the largest maker of bikes in the world, if I recall. I test road a few of their bikes a few years ago, including one very similar to the Roam 3 you're looking at, and liked it/them. Take one for a test ride at your dealer and see how it rides. Generally, the price goes up with the quality of parts as you'll find out. A lock-out on front shocks can be a nice feature to have if you're riding on smooth surfaces...it will negate any "bobbing" effect you 'could' have with hard pedaling. Actually, if you're sticking to good cycling paths, you probably don't need shocks. Avoid those "rotary" handle style gear changers and look for a finger/thumb triggered rapid shifter, they work better. Make sure you get the bike set up properly for you at the outfitter, it's kind of like buying clothing, it has to fit you comfortably. Not only does the seat height and handlebars need to be right but so do the handlebar stem length and brake locations. The dealer will set this up for you.

Check that bike out, I'm sure you'll like it. Have fun and ride a few bikes before you make you're decision.

CV #394809 07/02/13 10:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh!! make sure the seat is comfortable!!

You can actually get your "ass bones" measured on a device to choose the correct seat for you at some dealers. You basically sit on a type of pad that measures your seat bones in your butt.

There's also ergo handles that protect the ulnar nerve...that's the numb feeling you can get in your hands if the handles sucketh. Most bikes these days come with pretty good grips though.

CV #394811 07/02/13 11:48 PM
And I find a new SIG line!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
CV #394812 07/03/13 12:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Charles, I would highly suggest getting a used bike, as there's plenty of great bikes to be had on Craigslist etc. I got my amazing Kona AA used. If you are only considering something new, I would choose the Giant Revel 1 over the Roam (if you want suspension).

Honestly, a bike with suspension is overkill if you're going to be riding on paved trails. Unless you lock out (as you should) the suspension (which you're paying extra for), it's actually a more difficult ride. I know a bike with suspension looks more "cool", but it's really not practical at all for the terrain you'll be riding.

I would take a serious look at a rigid frame new or used bike.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
CV #394813 07/03/13 02:01 AM
Charles, for your riding on paved roads and paths a suspension isn't needed. Consider something like this .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #394817 07/03/13 04:02 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, guys. This is all very helpful, as I have zero knowledge of my own. I think I'll want to have the suspension as an option. I say paved trails only right now, but I imagine that scenarios will pop up where I'll want to take it slightly off-road. Does the Revel 1's suspension have the ability to lock? It doesn't seem like it does, but I'm not sure I know how to read the details. I'll ask at the local dealer, too, and ride a few models.

CV #394820 07/03/13 04:22 AM
Yeah, you'll notice under "Features", a "Lockout" suspension fork. Of course, going "slightly off-road" doesn't mean that a suspension is absolutely necessary, if you suck it up and keep on riding.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082