Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Journey into Analogue Darkness
gnickers #396116 08/16/13 11:12 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
exlab, exactly what i feel too.
if someone was to offer me an analog system worth tens of thousands for free, i would not take it.
too frustrating for me.
i also have cd's from 1983-1984 which were caught in a burst pipe flood for days in winter, and they play like new.

gnickers #396119 08/16/13 04:44 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
jb:

I might take that gear just to display on nice shelf somewhere prominent in my house because high end turntables are so beautiful to look at...

TAM

gnickers #396124 08/16/13 08:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well boys, im half deaf and I can tell the difference between analogue and digital. When I have my quiet time I like to put on an old album and enjoy the goodness. I have records over 30 yrs old and with my current setup the only tick or pop I get is on the lead in groove. They will have to pry my TT out of my cold dead hands. grin The records released today are on some really good vinyl and so far all the records I have bought are dead quiet. The stylus research has continued as well. A TT from walmart aint goin to cut it though, you have to step up to some good TT and cartridges and phono pre amps.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
gnickers #396126 08/16/13 09:43 PM
G
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
G
Not so fast Pontiac

Before getting rid of the turntable i thought i should do one more test, an A/B comparison of the same album on CD and LP. So i set up a switchbox that allowed me to switch between the two inputs. Note that this is not a scientific test as the volume levels were not quite equal and it was not blind (i knew which was the CD and the LP). The CD was slightly louder than the LP but not significantly so. Synching the two sources took the most time.

The record used for comparision was Willie Nelson's Red Haired Stranger. Th LP is an excellent one as is the CD. I choose this because the vocals are up front and the instrumentation is sparse, usually just an acoustic guitar and brushes with the occassional bass and piano in the background. It sounds as if it is closely miked so the performance seems to be 'in the room'.

After listening for a while and making many switches between the two inputs i think i've hit on why LP sound is appealing - the vocals sound more 'realistic' on LP, more like someone actually singing. The acoustic guitar has a real 'energy' too it just like the sound wave of plucked strings. This dynamic is odd as CD have a broader bandwidth than LP's but a seemingly less accurate representation of the performance. Of course this is a sample of one, performed under rather loose conditions but it makes me think i should hold on listen to more records...

gnickers #396131 08/17/13 12:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Also look into the CD Loudness war. Just do a google search. This will help explain why cd's just don't sound right.
Richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #396137 08/17/13 03:58 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: Socketman
Also look into the CD Loudness war. Just do a google search. This will help explain why cd's just don't sound right.
Richard

You hit the nail on the head. If records were mastered with the same levels as many CDs are, the needle would probably jump out of the grooves. Since a laser has no trouble tracking the pits and lands of a CD, no matter how badly mastered, there's no disincentive to prevent bad engineers from killing the dynamic range of the material.

gnickers #396161 08/17/13 05:29 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Well I can't agree with a blanket statement that CDs 'just don't sound right'.

If CDs are mixed properly & do not utilize compression, they can & do sound fabulous. Take just about any TELARC label CDs/SACDs - I have a bunch from decades back. When those guys engineered an album, they knew what they were doing & I've rarely ever heard a disparaging remark about their work. They mixed the content properly using minimal micing techniques & never used compression. Unfortunately Concord bought them out & basically disbanded that crew but their stuff is still widely available.

Other examples include Eric Clapton's more recent CDs that are characterized by outstanding dynamic, crisp, full sound that are most enjoyable. Just contrast them to some of his older digital recordings - the differences are dramatic. Compressed & thin describes those offerings as is all too common.

Mediocrity throughout the music recording industry abounds & I don't know why the artists put up with this situation because it can make them sound like crap. It is not the fault of the digital medium but those who adversely manipulate it.

For me, the advantages of the CD/SACD format (when they are properly produced) far outweigh going back to vinyl. Furthermore, SACDs generally appear to me to be superior to CDs, not as much due to the medium, but because more care seems to be taken during the entire production process...

TAM

gnickers #396170 08/17/13 07:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sorry tam ,what I should have said was , not right to me. Furthermore, I really don't listen to anything other than classic rock era music and a bit of mainstream stuff. I have no doubt there are some great recordings on cd and I still listen to digital music ( records don't play well in the car).I have an SACD of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms which is very good recording , and I still prefer my analogue version better. You can go on youtube and find some great examples put together to show the condition known as the loudness war. Maybe its just in my head, but I find that digital just sounds very clinical, like it doesn't convey emotion. As always , to each his own as long as your enjoying the music I say.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
gnickers #396172 08/17/13 08:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Brothers in Arms side two is one of my most listened to works of art. I say side two because I had it on cassette in the 80's. I have the re release CD and it sounds pretty darn good. But off to the record store I go to look for the album.

M3 and
M80
gnickers #396173 08/17/13 08:19 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I have the Bros in Arms CD & it remains one of my favourites. It is so good on my system that I've never felt the need to purchase the SACD version.

You are right however, each to his own. Listen to the music & not the gear I always say...

TAM

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020