C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I may finally be purchasing a bicycle. The plan is to start seriously shopping after my next paycheck. Two of my best friends want to go riding with me, so there's more of a fire under my azz than before. Wish me luck! Also, if you thought of anything new I should consider, of course I'm open to your deep wisdom.

Re: Bicycle or Tricycle Advicycle
CV #406161 07/15/14 02:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Test drive as many as you can. As per previous discussion, different designs feel and perform very differently.

Although it seems like a simple thing, let the shop fit it for you. A good fit is key for both efficiency and comfort.

A lot of good bike shops will offer a couple of years of free tune ups with a new bike purchase. Use that time to learn about bike repair and tuning and you will be easily able to take care of it yourself by then. It's actually pretty simple stuff.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #406193 07/16/14 04:22 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks again for the input, Murph!

CV #406377 07/29/14 06:16 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm not the best at following advice. I went in to the local Giant dealer to check out the Roam 3, but he didn't have any out in the main area. He showed me the next model up, the Roam 2, so I test rode that one for a little bit outside the shop. The seat was slightly too high, but other than that, it felt a heck of a lot better than any bicycle I'd ridden before.

Maybe it was simply the commission talking, but the salesman was pretty excited to show off the Roam 2, and I decided to go ahead and go with it. It was a couple hundred more than the Roam 3, which was on sale, but I let him convince me the hydraulic brakes and different derailleur were enough to justify the price difference.

I went with the cheapest helmet ($40) they had since he didn't have any compelling reason to go with anything more expensive.

Maybe I'll regret not trying a lot of other bicycles, but on the other hand, not knowing any better might make me regret less. Ha ha. But I apologize for not doing my due diligence and making you all proud.

I didn't buy any other accessories there, but I ordered a mini tool and seat post bag off of Amazon.com. My dad had a spoke tool and tools for taking out the inner tubes. I think he has both a floor pump and an air compressor for inflating the tires. I may pick up one of the really tiny pumps for when I'm out on rides. And a spare tube in the seat post bag is the plan. What other accessories or tools should I have on-hand at some point? I'll have to accumulate over time, but it would be nice to be able to prioritize.

I'll probably get a rack for over the rear tire, too. I think I'll actually use the bicycle to do my grocery shopping. Oh, but since I like to do my shopping at night, I'll have to look at lights, too. While the streets I'll be riding on for that are well-lit, I think I'll do other night riding, too, so I should probably get something that will illuminate my path. I see DiNotte's name come up when looking for good bicycle lights, but their packages seem to be more than half of what I paid for the bike itself.

Anyway, I look forward to breaking it in a bit this coming weekend.

CV #406379 07/29/14 11:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That's a nice bike Charles. Enjoy!

I don't know that model specifically but I can assure you that hydraulic disk brakes are indeed noticeably better and a good derailleur system is worth it's weight in gold. There is nothing more frustrating that a clunky gear system.

I'll mention one other thing because I used to think they were just for pros or posers. After finally giving in and trying a good pair of biking gloves with the built in gel pads in the pressure points, I now never leave home without them. A tiny thing but they actually reduce my general fatigue in a big way by keeping my hands comfortable on the bars.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #406389 07/29/14 06:34 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
As always, Murph, thank you! I'll have to scope out the glove situation at some point.

CV #406745 08/23/14 08:55 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm enjoying the bicycle, though I haven't gone on any really lengthy rides yet. I got to try out my headlight, tail light, and carrier rack w/ insulated bag when it was late at night and my friend wanted me to bring her and her sons some of the Haagen-Dazs I bought too much of. I was pretty happy with each of the accessories. The headlight, while not competing with the effectiveness of car headlights, actually had decent, usable output. The tail light was plenty bright, too. And I like how the bag clicks into the rack.

The thing I haven't tried yet is parking the bike anywhere and trying to lock it up. I think I need to practice that.

I still need to learn proper maintenance, so I'll have to look up some online guides/YouTube videos.

CV #406750 08/23/14 04:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ride it for a few weeks then take it back to your bicycle dealer for gear and brake cable adjustments as they will have likely stretched a bit.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters