CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I appreciate the feedback, Tom!

Yeah, I don't have a specific exhaust hood picked out at this point. And chances are that I won't have those open shelves to the right of where it will be. If it's the upper cabinet above the base cabinet to the left of the range that you're wondering about being asymmetrical, I assume they made it narrower to account for the exhaust hood. Something I was reading online said to have the hood covering 3" to either side of the range. So for a normal 30" range, I'd be going with a 36" hood, which is also why I wouldn't have those open shelves to the right.

That's a good idea for a cabinet above the sink. I'll see if the dimensions work for that.

The colors aren't set in stone yet, and yeah, from that mock-up, it's not really working for me, either. I've liked the two-tone look, but I'm not sure which color to pair with the flat-sawn walnut veneer. I should try to get a sample of that ASAP. I wouldn't mind doing all of the doors/fronts in the same veneer from Semihandmade, but I thought I'd try for the two-tone to save a little bit of money, if I could make it look good.

Re: CV's Subterranean Adventure
tomtuttle #395369 07/22/13 02:06 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh, and I'm not using a dishwasher initially, but I did mention to them that I'd like the space for a dishwasher in case I decide on one in the future. It's just that it will only be my dishes, and so many things don't want to be washed in a dishwasher, anyway, so I figured I'd do without. I told the design place to remove one of the 30" base cabinets and leave a 24" open space, and expand the other base cabinet to 36". I'll use the open space for a cart on wheels that will hold my garbage and recyclables, assuming I can make that look good.

CV #395371 07/22/13 03:57 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Brilliant!

A 36" hood is a good idea. Could be comparatively expensive, though.

That semi handmade site was quite a revelation. So many creative people.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
CV #395398 07/22/13 10:26 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Looking at where I plan to put that enclosure for the refrigerator again, I think it really will do a number on the acoustics. For one, the left surround speaker will have to be mounted to that wall of the enclosure, and with the enclosure sticking out into the room like that, it will probably be pretty darn close to the seating. The whole reason I left that bedroom so narrow was to give the speakers more room to breathe. The left LFR1100 will also be affected, with that little pocket that's created with the enclosure sticking out. *beats head against the wall* I mean, I'm sure it will still sound decent, but I was really hoping for a space that would do more justice to my gear. I simply don't know where else to position the refrigerator.

I need to get the entire basement drawn out so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

CV #395399 07/22/13 10:36 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yeah, seriously, how can we work under these conditions?

Aren't you ALWAYS going to have to deal with that support pole, unless you spend money you don't want to on structural upgrades?

Putting the refrigerator somewhere else *might* impact your kitchen design, but given your investment in audio/video gear, I'd be more inclined to have a suboptimal kitchen workflow than to totally screw the pooch on the acoustics.

It just really seems like the fridge is segmenting the whole floor plan into discrete rooms instead of being one, big happy space.

Edit: How wide is the area between the support pole and the opposite wall i.e. the width of the theater if it is inside the footprint of the existing pole position?

Wait, you WERE looking for opinions, or riffing, right?

Last edited by tomtuttle; 07/22/13 10:40 PM. Reason: my brain.

tomtuttle #395402 07/22/13 11:06 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Aren't you ALWAYS going to have to deal with that support pole, unless you spend money you don't want to on structural upgrades?

This is AFTER the structural upgrade. Before, there were three support poles because it was a wood beam that it was supporting. They replaced it with steel beams to reduce it to one, and that's where the beams meet. I guess that's where it had to end up for the amount of distance it could span. One pole was better than three for me.

Putting the refrigerator somewhere else *might* impact your kitchen design, but given your investment in audio/video gear, I'd be more inclined to have a suboptimal kitchen workflow than to totally screw the pooch on the acoustics.

Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right now, but then I think that even if I do move the refrigerator somewhere else, it's still not going to be an ideal acoustical situation. There are too many weirdnesses to the room. But you're right that this seems like MORE of a compromise to the acoustics.

Edit: How wide is the area between the support pole and the opposite wall i.e. the width of the theater if it is inside the footprint of the existing pole position?

It would be about 14 1/2 feet across. I'd be losing not quite 4 feet if I pulled that bedroom wall over to match, if that's where you were headed.

Wait, you WERE looking for opinions, or riffing, right?

Ha ha, of course. I'm glad for ANY feedback, since I'm sure it will only help me come up with more options.

CV #395404 07/22/13 11:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:
It would be about 14 1/2 feet across. I'd be losing not quite 4 feet if I pulled that bedroom wall over to match, if that's where you were headed.

That's where I was headed. And I might still be headed there.

If you're going to have the post there ANYWAY, you're never going to get the aesthetics (or perfect acoustics) that you want if it's just "out there" in the middle of the room. So, my inclination would be to make a more perfect rectangle out of that end of the room. 14.5 feet is still a pretty nice, wide space; you'll still be able to get a 130" 16:9 screen in there with a couple feet on each side.

How far back is the seating compared to the fridge?

tomtuttle #395405 07/23/13 12:09 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That's where I was headed. And I might still be headed there.

If you're going to have the post there ANYWAY, you're never going to get the aesthetics (or perfect acoustics) that you want if it's just "out there" in the middle of the room. So, my inclination would be to make a more perfect rectangle out of that end of the room. 14.5 feet is still a pretty nice, wide space; you'll still be able to get a 130" 16:9 screen in there with a couple feet on each side.

How far back is the seating compared to the fridge?

While the acoustics still won't be perfect with the post, a slender post as opposed to a wall out into the room seems far superior.

I'd hate to lose the extra width because of the LFR1100s. I want there to be room to play with on either side of the screen so I can do some meaningful tweaking. That being said, I'm not going to have a 130" screen. I was originally wanting around 100", but with other parts of the basement encroaching on what was going to dedicated to the HT portion, and not really seeing how to do a second row of seating on a riser when the ceilings are so low, anyway, I'm liking the idea of one of the 84" 4K TVs with seating closer to the screen whenever those become affordable. And then I won't have to learn about projectors. Ha ha.

I'm not sure exactly where the seating will end up, simply because I don't know a final screen size (looking at a 70" 1080p until bigger 4Ks are common and affordable), or the ultimate positioning of the speakers, which I'll want to experiment with. I'm imagining the seating will end up pretty close to in line with where that proposed refrigerator enclosure will be.

I may be able to compromise and have that wall for the enclosure sticking out only 6" or so into the room by sticking it against the wall where the side of the equipment closet is. The post will still be out into the room, of course, but like I said, I don't think a slender post will affect acoustics nearly as much.

tomtuttle #395406 07/23/13 12:11 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
And again, thanks for giving me some stuff to chew on.

CV #395409 07/23/13 01:08 AM
Stuff to chew on? So I can expect a FaceBook post about it? grin

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 16 of 41 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 40 41

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16