Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Getting internet to your receiver..?
#399498 12/25/13 03:55 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have a Marantz AV8801, and am trying to get an internet connection to it. I don't have any Cat 5 cable run to the Marantz’s location (i wish i did).. I bought an Airport Express thinking I could use it to get a network signal to my Marantz.. However, I am having an impossibly hard time getting the Marantz to have an internet connection..

I thought that the Airport Express would be a super simple way to get internet, does anyone have any thoughts?

I may give Marantz a call later this week, see if they are open.

Thanks.

Re: Getting internet to your receiver..?
dakkon #399504 12/25/13 04:41 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
So, i just plugged my laptop into the airport express with the wireless turned off, and the laptop grabbed an IP and had internet.. So, there is something going on with the Configuration within the Marantz... Guess, i will look through that manual....

dakkon #399505 12/25/13 04:42 AM
shareholder in the making
Need more data on your network. I use an AE to get an ethernet connection to my gear, ultimately, but I'll need to know more about your setup before I can assist.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
dakkon #399506 12/25/13 05:33 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I've got time warner as an ISP, and am using an Airport Extreme base station as a wireless router (the newest version, the AC one). Also, the AirPort express is also the newest version, the N version. If it was semi convenient to run some cat 5 cable through the attic, i would... But, unfortunately it's not practical.

dakkon #399513 12/25/13 11:10 AM
OK, so that's pretty easy. I assume either your Extreme or your cable modem is handing out IP addresses via DHCP?

If so, then you just need to set the Express to either "Join a Wireless Network" or "Extend a Wireless Network," put in your creds for the Extreme network, and you should be good to go. I would recommend setting a static address outside your DHCP range on the Express if you're doing the Join option.

As for the Marantz, I can't really help you there.

dakkon #399518 12/25/13 06:54 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: dakkon
I have a Marantz AV8801, and am trying to get an internet connection to it. I don't have any Cat 5 cable run to the Marantz’s location (i wish i did).. I bought an Airport Express thinking I could use it to get a network signal to my Marantz.. However, I am having an impossibly hard time getting the Marantz to have an internet connection..

I thought that the Airport Express would be a super simple way to get internet, does anyone have any thoughts?

I may give Marantz a call later this week, see if they are open.

Thanks.

Not sure if this would apply in your case, however, I am running a WiFi set-up throughout the house(LT, PC, Internet radio etc.)and since my router is on another floor away from my A/V system and it seems these AVR/Pre-Pros only do online functions via Ethernet connections, back awhile ago I bought a wireless bridge which I connect both my Yamaha Pre-Pro(CX-A5000) and Oppo BDP105 player which gives me full access to the online features and any downloads that are required. Saves trying to run any cable through the house and there is four Ethernet connections to the bridge. It just has to be configured through the co's website and your ready to go.

dakkon #399519 12/25/13 07:52 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Right now i have the airport express configured as a wireless bridge.. under the "join network" option. I've also set a static IP.. The Marantz has a cat 5 cable connecting it to the airport express..

However, even after assigning the airport express a static ip i STILL can not get the Marantz an internet connection. I Also tried setting a static ip on the Marantz on the same subnet as the airport express.

I think i'll look at the Marantz thread over at AVS, see if there are any other people with a similar issue as myself.

dakkon #399520 12/25/13 08:36 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Right now i have the airport express configured as a wireless bridge.. under the "join network" option. I've also set a static IP.. The Marantz has a cat 5 cable connecting it to the airport express..

However, even after assigning the airport express a static ip i STILL can not get the Marantz an internet connection. I Also tried setting a static ip on the Marantz on the same subnet as the airport express.

I think i'll look at the Marantz thread over at AVS, see if there are any other people with a similar issue as myself.

It would seem pretty much to be a compatibility issue here which is rather strange especially with the Marantz unit that you have which is "top of the line". It should be pretty much plug and play out of your Pre-Pro with any configuration to be done at the router end, unless, because of the FOUR connections on the 8801, is there, however unlikely, anything that has to or can be configured at the Pre-pros end?

Unfortunately, the manuals don't give you much if any information as to how to deal with issues like this.

dakkon #399526 12/25/13 10:57 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I've got no idea....

The Marantz actually has a considerable amount of controls for networking. I can set a static IP within the Marantz (which i've tried), there is also DHCP as a networking option (which i've also tried... ) I should note that there is also a Diagnostic option; which confirms that the physical connection is good. ect.. It also reports if the unit has an internet connection... This test has always failed.

I should note, there is also a Maintenance option, which is suppose to be reserved for customer service, or a pro installer.

This situation is somewhat perplexing, like you Casey i thought it would be straightforward and super easy.. All of the other settings on this unit has been completely painless to configure.

dakkon #399527 12/26/13 12:37 AM
Do you have DNS set up on the receiver? If you've tried DHCP, I would expect that to come over with it, but if you're doing static, you'll need to set at least one DNS address.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters