Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: M80HP
brwsaw #400383 01/26/14 07:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
That's so adorable how you think you're still "helpful".

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
brwsaw #400387 01/26/14 09:11 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Once a year, I make an attempt at it to justify my time here to Joyce.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #400446 01/28/14 04:38 PM
D
frequent flier
frequent flier
D
My M80HP’s arrived yesterday – they shipped surprisingly quickly – left Axiom Thursday via regular shipping, arrived Monday morning (In Vancouver).

So, for a quick, very unprofessional review after 4 hours of listening. First, they replace an old set of Klipsch Heresy speakers, so my basis for comparison is those, and a pair of Linn Majik 109’s that a friend has.

My hopes were that the M80’s would have bass response at least as good as the Kilpsch (with it’s 12” woofers) but would surpass it in the mid’s and high’s (where I thought the Kilpsch was weak). And would compare to the Linn’s mids and highs but with better bass.

Maybe my expectations were unrealistically low – but suffice to say they were blown away by the M80 HP’s – the bass extension on them is incredible – the Holly Cole Temptation CD became an entirely new piece of music to me – the bass was deeper, clearer, far more visceral than the Linn’s or the Klipsch’s were able to show. And the mids and highs were clear and spacious, much better than even the Linn’s were able to produce. And when you crank the volume up, they really shine – Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon just sounded better and better as it got louder – everything stayed crisp and clean, with nothing strained – very comfortable to listen to. And last, my Hi-Def copy of Kuniko’s Cantus was a thing of beauty – the marimba rang clear notes in a completely empty soundscape - the impacts of the hammers were separate from the notes, the music itself just floated.

And last, nothing to do with the sound – but I got them with the walnut veneer – and Axiom did a great job – the finish is excellent.

So, after 4 hours, Axiom has a very happy customer.

Rick

brwsaw #400447 01/28/14 05:51 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Very nice! Congrats!

And thank you for the valuable review.

tomtuttle #400460 01/28/14 10:52 PM
D
frequent flier
frequent flier
D
And also compliments go to Axiom on their packaging - while delivery was quick, the boxes were pretty beaten up - couple of tears and dents in the outer box - but nothing made it through to the speakers.

Rick

brwsaw #400464 01/29/14 02:22 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'd love to see some pictures since you got the real walnut. I'll bet they're gorgeous!

tomtuttle #400473 01/30/14 12:19 AM
D
frequent flier
frequent flier
D

gjtphx #400477 01/30/14 01:38 AM
regular
regular
Originally Posted By: gjtphx
My M80HP’s were delivered last Monday and I immediately hooked them up and did a quick audyssey calibration. I upgraded to these new speakers from M60v2 that were seven years old. I am powering them with an Emotiva XPA-2. When I started listening to them the quick difference I could feel was more bass. Apart from that I could not feel much difference. I hope that the speakers will sound better after the so called “break-in” period.

I have a 7.1 setup with these new speakers along with a VP-160, 4 QS8’s and one SVS SB-13 Ultra Sub. The QS8’s and VP-160 are powered by Emotiva XPA-5. I am using a Denon 3312ci as processor.

I have been using the new M80HP speakers for over two weeks now and I should comment over here that I can really feel the difference now. I have tested them with all kind of music like Indian classical music and film songs and each time I can feel the difference between these new speakers and my old M60’s. Everything is clean and beautiful sounding now. Bass is terrific. Vocals are clean. I can hear each musical instrument clearly and distinctly.

I should mention that along with these new speakers, I also got an Arcam irDAC and I have been using them as USB speakers with my Synology DS213j DiskStation. Now my lossless music collection and even my old mp3’s sound so good. SACD’s and DVD audio never sounded so good. The best part is that my wife is really happy and we are spending time in media room listening to music more than ever .....

Thank you Axiom !

2 M80 HP, 1 VP160 & 4 QS8
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5
Denon 3312ci
Oppo BDP-103
Onkyo C-7030
Arcam irDAC
brwsaw #401141 02/17/14 05:04 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
I'm just so interested on the sound variations between the M80's v3 and the M80HP...

brwsaw #401159 02/17/14 05:04 PM
B
brwsaw Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
I'm not to good with describing things, so please don't laugh at my impression with the HP's after 9 hours listening.
I really like the M80 so this isn't intended to bring them down at all. They are great speakers, if I could I would keep the two I have.
At first I found the difference between the two to be subtle when with an edge to the M80 (could be positioning, no break in etc) which had me a little (more) concerned.
I had expected you guys would be right about being bloated etc, but I've got plenty of room around them and am quite impressed. I'm sure the room is helping me here. That's for another thread.
After the first hour or so of listening to only the HP's I really started to feel different about them. I wasn't listing too critically for the first three CD's, just playing random new CD's I'd picked up, so, I wasn't familiar with the tracks.
Once I put in some music I've listen to hundreds of times (The Tragically Hip)and even live twice, I really started to listen.
I almost had to rethink how I was judging sound, going from more of a pin point accurate presentation (highs)to a more neutral, natural presentation. The sound is more believable. Definitely worth considering the upgrade.
The cross overs are better, or at least how well the sound blends is better. With 5 towers across the front of the room, you'd swear they were all putting out sound. You have to walk up to them to confirm which 2 speakers are in fact playing.
The M80 had this down pretty good too, its just better with the HP.
I've had several moments where I can't believe I'm not there (especially live recordings or small two piece recordings)and hard to believe the amount of envelopment from two towers. I think I lucked out with the original placement, only needing to toe them in ever so slightly and down +/-5/8 of an inch (they are +/- 12" off the floor).
Of the 3 adults to sit down and listen thus far I got 1 "I like it", 1 "sounds nice, clear!" and 1 who decided to stay a while. We sat there in silence listening to Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson playing and singing together until he had to go. He really liked how cleanly you could hear and visualize the plucking of guitar strings.
They are crazy good, you'll close your eyes for no other reason but to remove the visual side of the presentation good.
With my eyes closed I wasn't hearing from the front, I could feel a sound field. This is one thing I'll try to find a better description of. Its almost alien, and will be tough to discribe accurately.
I've always tried to envision the band in front of me when listening, there were a couple moments when, with my eyes closed, I could see an instrument enter the sound field from the top corner of the room or from the bottom and just float there, increasing the feeling I was in a different place, not sitting on a love seat 11' from speakers.
I don't think I could do it better with surrounds.
I have a good friend coming over after lunch. I told her to bring her favourite music.
So glad I have Mondays off again.

Last edited by brwsaw; 02/17/14 05:12 PM.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters