Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Please describe the Axiom "sound"....
KobeeDog #399600 12/28/13 05:33 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: KobeeDog
Interesting how the audio hobby can be so subjective.

I don't find the B&W sound, or the tweeters specifically, bright at all, as mentioned.

For a personal frame of reference, I look at my Monitor Audio RS6 ... those were bright speakers with way too much attack with the wrong gear. Also, the Klipsch RF-62's. Man, THOSE are bright. In a lot of ways, the absolute worst speakers I have ever had to endure.

And therein lies the reason why, unless the review is from an average enthusiast that actually owns them and has spent considerable time listening and has no agenda, so-called "professional" reviews, in my opinion, are essentially worthless. Speakers,as you so aptly put, and their performance are very subjective and where one person loves one thing another person does not. It has nothing really do with making comparisons as one being better than the other, it is juist preferences.

I am always intrigued with professional reviews of very expensive, i.e. $15-20,000/pair speakers and up. You will notice that the reviewer always states they sound wonderful BUT, they are never compared directly to anything else especially speakers that might cost considerably less. The same holds true for ultra expensive electronics.

KobeeDog #399610 12/29/13 05:31 PM
veteran
veteran
Hmmm... Well, I wouldn't know about $15K to $20K speakers, but I have really good electronics (though not ultra expensive). I can hear a difference, and I don't mind comparing them to other boxes at any price, and I'm technically a "professional reviewer," (although I don't normally admit it). I think everyone reaches their own personal "good-enough-for-me" plateau and then berates anything more than what they have (sour grapes?).

I'm sure that there is better kit than what I own available, but I've not yet heard it. Some things that most reviewers drool over (Magnepan speakers, for example) just don't work in my room. I've heard them sound good in other rooms, but they don't sound their best in mine. I wouldn't pan them in a review, but I'd have to also note that they do their best in rooms with specific characteristics that my room doesn't have.

For the same reasons that Maggies don't work in my room, I'm not even interested in trying the omnidirectional Axioms. They won't do there best here either.

Cheers - Boomzilla

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!
KobeeDog #399611 12/29/13 06:03 PM
devotee
devotee
I'm a new axiom owner and have had about 6 to 7 months on my M80 v3's. I put roughly, on average, about a 150 hours a month on them. So nearing closely to a thousand hours of listening time, here's my impressions:

The M80's are definitely not "bright". Someone here put it perfectly already. They have the true "Canadian" sound that you would expect from psb or paradigm. If I was forced to liken them to a speaker I've owned, I'd say they most closely resemble the pair of Paradigm Monitor 90P's I had. Those speakers had an external amplifier for the three 8" woofers(I believe it was 400 watts). These M80's can dig deeper and harder though, without a separate amplifier built on the speaker smile They are incredibly neutral and in saying that, incredibly revealing. I truly am no word of lie, rediscovering my music collection.

And on the note of revealing, some recordings sound down right awful(I don't listen to many mp3's anymore) and MANY are presenting themselves with things that can only be described as magical smile

The M80's will satisfy even the most dedicated bass junkies. I've blown people away with the fact I don't even have a subwoofer, yet.

I've owned a lot of speakers over the years and these speakers are, without a doubt, the best speakers I've ever owned. I'm enjoying them so much.

The only thing I notice is that when watching movies in stereo mode only, the sound changes quite noticeably when I get up off the couch and walk around. I guess this is the "off axis listening" people talk about. Loud music sounds great everywhere(and I've impressed many people at large get togethers already), but I notice a change when going off axis when it comes to movies. But that's not a gripe for me. I calibrate my system to a specific listening position for a reason.

The M80's are incredibly detailed and produce wonderful sound for any and all material.

I highly recommend taking advantage of their great return policy and customer service. I would bet money on the fact that you will be HIGHLY impressed with their sound.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Boomzilla #399695 01/03/14 05:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Boomzilla
I think everyone reaches their own personal "good-enough-for-me" plateau and then berates anything more than what they have (sour grapes?).

This is called 'ego' and it gets bruised easy in the world of audio. Like a butterfly landing on a pinot grape on the vine and the pinot comes out like it was hit by a Toyota with a stuck accelerator.

I'm sure that there is better kit than what I own available, but I've not yet heard it. Some things that most reviewers drool over (Magnepan speakers, for example) just don't work in my room. I've heard them sound good in other rooms, but they don't sound their best in mine.

And this is why even sticking to one brand may not work. I've had three sets of speakers on my main floor and none sounded very good but of the three options, the best sound was not from the $6k Tannoys i've got there now, and nor were they Axioms.
The same three brands sounded great in our media room, but the set i don't own i preferred best (for midrange and high end, but were a bit bass heavy). Comparatively, the Axiom M60s we have exhibit a much more controlled bass but almost a muted mid and high end. Odd considering that i AM a person who has termed the Axioms as 'bright' in the past and no, that word doesn't mean 'detailed'.
If i could have married the Axiom bass and price with the other brand's mid and high end plus wood veneer finish, i would have my perfect speaker.

Room physics makes a huge difference for sound but when all else is equal, you may settle on more than speaker brand for your house depending on the room.

For the same reasons that Maggies don't work in my room, I'm not even interested in trying the omnidirectional Axioms. They won't do there best here either.

Those are two very different sound principles (i.e. difference between Magnepan electrostatic design and Axiom direct driver, bipole-like idea). I really wouldn't jump to conclusions trying to compare those two.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #399701 01/03/14 07:57 PM
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
I really wouldn't jump to conclusions trying to compare those two.

KobeeDog #399703 01/03/14 09:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What on God's green earth is that a picture of anyway?

Here's what i found for googling "random photo"

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #399716 01/04/14 01:29 AM
That is none other than Tom Smykowski, the inventor of the Jump to Conclusions mat. From the movie Office Space. If you have not seen it, you need to remedy that.

Boomzilla #400369 01/26/14 02:11 AM
S
S
Hmmm... Well, I wouldn't know about $15K to $20K speakers, but I have really good electronics (though not ultra expensive). I can hear a difference, and I don't mind comparing them to other boxes at any price, and I'm technically a "professional reviewer," (although I don't normally admit it). I think everyone reaches their own personal "good-enough-for-me" plateau and then berates anything more than what they have (sour grapes?).

I'm sure that there is better kit than what I own available, but I've not yet heard it. Some things that most reviewers drool over (Magnepan speakers, for example) just don't work in my room. I've heard them sound good in other rooms, but they don't sound their best in mine. I wouldn't pan them in a review, but I'd have to also note that they do their best in rooms with specific characteristics that my room doesn't have.

Cheers - Boomzilla

I'm a new poster and 3 year owner of M60's. I'd love to hear from you what components you have matched your Axioms with?

I'm ready for an upgrade from the Yamaha receiver I'm presently using. I come from the Live Sound world and generally believe the best upgrade you can provide is a better amp.

I like the tonal balance of the M60's and actually chose them over a set of B&W 704's. Both were setup in my living room for a month with a Rotel 15 series integrated amp.

However my M60/Yammy setup lacks the transient and distortion performance I desire.

Ultimately, I want to start buying components that I will have for the next 20-30 years. Any thoughts or direction you can offer is much appreciated.....

Soulshock #400371 01/26/14 03:10 AM
Soul, welcome. It's highly doubtful in most cases that a "better amp" will provide an audibly significant upgrade. The transient performance you mention is determined by the program material, the speakers and the room acoustics. Any competently designed amplifying device has to have sufficient transient response capability to handle the "fastest" frequencies of interest at the maximum output level.

You don't mention the max output of your present receiver, but the "distortion performance" is inaudibly low at that level, quite possibly less than the speaker or program material distortion. If you actually are playing at extremely high levels creating a possibility of permanent hearing damage, then amplifier distortion on peaks can be a factor. An amplifier with a far higher maximum output(at least 300 watts)is one remedy, but a more prudent one is to turn the volume down a dB or two.

At this point, without knowing more about your present receiver, the suggestion for replacing the Yamaha would be one of the Denon or Onkyo models with the top Audyssey MultEQ XT-32 auto calibration and room equalization.

As to other possible upgrades, you haven't mentioned what your other speakers and sub are, and this might be an area for significant improvement.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #400374 01/26/14 06:01 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Soul, welcome. It's highly doubtful in most cases that a "better amp" will provide an audibly significant upgrade. The transient performance you mention is determined by the program material, the speakers and the room acoustics. Any competently designed amplifying device has to have sufficient transient response capability to handle the "fastest" frequencies of interest at the maximum output level.

You don't mention the max output of your present receiver, but the "distortion performance" is inaudibly low at that level, quite possibly less than the speaker or program material distortion. If you actually are playing at extremely high levels creating a possibility of permanent hearing damage, then amplifier distortion on peaks can be a factor. An amplifier with a far higher maximum output(at least 300 watts)is one remedy, but a more prudent one is to turn the volume down a dB or two.

At this point, without knowing more about your present receiver, the suggestion for replacing the Yamaha would be one of the Denon or Onkyo models with the top Audyssey MultEQ XT-32 auto calibration and room equalization.

As to other possible upgrades, you haven't mentioned what your other speakers and sub are, and this might be an area for significant improvement.

Thank you John K. Let me give you a little more info on what I want to accomplish and what I have.

Right now I have a Yamaha HTR-5990, middle of the road receiver (roughly 80wpc). Also I have a HP Media Smart extender. I am a music listener and though I have a surround receiver I do 90% music and 10% movies. Also I am probably 50% spotify and 50% uncompressed wav in terms of my sources.

The Mediasmart feeds my Samsung LCD via HDMI and I feed my receiver via Lightpipe (digital optical). My living room is not that large and I followed the Axiom recommendation of placing my speakers 5' from the side walls and 9" from the rear. I also keep them tilted in 10% or so to align the tweeter with my listening position 6-8' away.

I like the Axioms in that I find them to be smooth and not overly harsh(like to B&W's I had). However as a trained audio engineer I am very sensitive to low levels of distortion, unlike what you would find with a amp that is clipping. It's more like the signal is being choked off and can not fully "breath" like you would find in a live sound situation. That is what I want to reproduce as that is the way I'm accustomed to hearing music. You are correct that it's likely the room that's causing most of the lack of transients and I didn't think about that.

I don't want to buy super high end speaker because of the expense that goes into making them sound good (high end pre/pro, d/a converter/ amp/ cables etc). Not to mention that I'd have to spend over 10k on the speakers to get a significant bump in quality.

I'd rather get some decent speakers that can be optimized with high end amp's pre/pro's da's etc. as I can afford them. I want to piece my system together over the next few years step by step. But I'm looking for help to determine what units will be the best long term fits for me and how much of a performance increase I can get with the M60's and the right supplemental parts.

I hope this makes sense.......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020