Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Audyssey - Again
exlabdriver #400351 01/25/14 03:04 PM
shareholder in the making
Looks like a nice article, may have to rerun Audyssey setup, been awhile since I followed the AVSforum doc. I have two rows of seating so would have to decide which one to follow. The problem is I usually sit in the back far right seat and my kids jump around, lol

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

exlabdriver #400355 01/25/14 06:19 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
As I found out, it is very forgiving for the different listening positions that I tried although they are not really far from the center cushion.

Again it saw my M22s at 40 Hz so obviously they like my room. For this run I turned down the volume of my 10" Velo subs even more to 2 from 2.5 (out of 10) & it still set the level to -6.5. I can only assume that my room is bass friendly but thankfully without muddiness.

The clarity of the whole system has improved overall & the surrounds seem to be a little more apparent than they were. I really like this setup & I don't think that it is placebo effect at all.

I don't know why Audyssey didn't come up with these methods that the author at HTS painstakingly developed. They certainly would enhance the performance of their calibration tool...

TAM

exlabdriver #400362 01/25/14 08:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
just skimming through the HTS article now. Already have some thoughts about how I conducted my original calibration. I calibrated with my recliner in the upright position, but I usually lean back during a movie. He makes a good point that typically there is only one critical listener in the room . LOL

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
exlabdriver #400368 01/26/14 12:20 AM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
Perhaps Audyssey is vehemently not liked by some users because they calibrated it by using sort of random mic positions (like I basically did) that generated less than ideal results - although it sounded OK to me. It is a step up now.

During most movies I often change positions on my couch from sitting up to laying down so I'm not getting the 'optimum' surround experience I guess; however, it doesn't diminish my enjoyment.

We've rented 'Captain Philips' Blu-Ray tonight so we'll see how that goes...

TAM

exlabdriver #400370 01/26/14 02:32 AM
Yeah Tom, if I understand what your previous measurements were, even the key first position(which determines the calibration of levels and distances)wasn't taken where your ears were. Then following the calibration measurement the next positions(which provided data for room eq rather than calibration)were likewise not at ear level and a significant distance in front. It may be that many users are taking some claims about equalizing the entire room too literally and spreading the microphone positions far apart, thinking that this gives better data.

In the past here I've commented that the measurements should be in a close cluster around the central listening position. I didn't use as close as the 3" separation which Wayne suggests for his basic measurements in that thread, but a still relatively close 1' or so. I note that some of the discussions there describe findings that a 6" or 12" separation was better in their experience. This may vary somewhat with different room acoustics, and I think that the main point probably is that 3" isn't necessarily optimal, but that wide separations significantly differing from ear level don't give best results.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

exlabdriver #400385 01/26/14 07:59 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
For those who haven't seen it, 'Captain Phillips' was a great movie with a stellar performance by Tom Hanks. At 2.5 hours or so, there have been complaints that it is too long, but both my wife & I found it to be riveting throughout.

My new Audyssey parameters acquitted themselves nicely throughout this very realistic & dynamic soundtrack. I normally listen at -10 DB but I backed it off to -13 Db which was still plenty. The new setup seems somewhat crisper & more coherent than before. There were a few scenes where dialogue was difficult but mostly because of the heavy accents of the pirates.

I'm glad that I took the time to set it up 'properly' & kudos to HTS for publishing their extensive Audyssey article...

TAM

exlabdriver #400402 01/27/14 06:18 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
I watched 'The Green Lantern' last night - now that is a house shaker of a sound track & unrelenting at times.

I don't know if it is the particular movies that I've chosen since my new calibration, but I've had to decrease my volume from -10 Db that I almost always previously used, to -13 to -15 Db to keep the levels more sane & comfortable. At -15 Db, this one was still almost too much...

TAM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020