Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: QS8s as Rear Surrounds?
blastermaster #402496 04/07/14 03:49 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
First real explosion I've seen since I started haunting here.
FWIW ( I like starting that way because I know its worthless), I started my axiom adventure with used v2 QS4's which I initially placed as my L & R (impatience, convenience). My first evening with them had me questioning using them at all locations. To me they were the answer.
Moving forward, if I ever has a pile of cash laying around, I will try it out with subs at each location.

AlaskanAVGuy #402497 04/07/14 03:57 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted By: AlaskanAVGuy
Those comments are meant for people who don't know the difference between Bose speakers and Axioms.

Where's your documentation for this?

No one's arguing that speaker placement isn't important. What they're saying is that the rules you're outlining are too rigid to work most people's oddly-shaped rooms. I don't personally know anyone who has a perfect rectangle to work with. I myself won't be able to get my right surround up to the appropriate height, at least not without some creative mounting (which I will at least look into), but I won't feel like I'm missing out by having it around 4' off the floor instead of 5-6'.

But I think the main point of contention is that you shouldn't be so worked up over an entertaining distraction like home theater. Just take it easy, Guy.

CV #402498 04/07/14 05:03 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Boy this one has really gotten off the rails. I think we should try to put the personal stuff aside for a moment (and much longer really) and realize that there is some great stuff in this thread. As far as answering James’s original question from technical point of view I think JohnK had that covered in an eloquently succinctly way in the second post. And certainly adding to that direct quotes and links to Dolby and THX as AlaskanAVGuy has done gives James all the best technical information available. But beyond that we get to the part that can only happen in a discussion forum like this one, and that is what people actually did and how did it work for them in their opinion. This becomes a situation of the more the merrier and James can take away from it what he wants. I concur that a lot of these situations will be far from ideal and could probably be brought closer to the ideal given the compromises that had to be accommodated for but it also comes down to just simply what they did and how they felt it worked out. Theatre systems in living rooms will almost always involve compromises. I know mine does. But people don’t necessarily want to build a designated theatre room, or even if they did, they would probably still want a system in their living room and that will almost certainly mean compromises. I say let the personal experiment experiences role; as it really is the best way to gain actual knowledge on what happened in various situations. There is no way anyone could conduct all these various ”experiments” on their own and I really enjoy reading what people have tried and how they thought it worked out in the end. The other nice thing about these experiments is most of the people here are enthusiasts about Home Theatre which means they have most likely heard many systems that have been set up very close to the ideal as it is stated from Dolby and THX and this means they are able to give us a very informed opinion on how their compromises worked out.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
blastermaster #402505 04/07/14 06:41 PM
A
old hand
old hand
A
That's well said Ian,

I'm only trying to bring some of the Fundamentals into this Forum as when I got here it was lacking, only discussing how people Feel Speakers should be placed. I referred to the experts at Dolby & THX who set the Standards.

Now if you were unaware of these standards you are by definition Ignorant: Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge)

If you think i'm bullying your sensitive nature then i'm sorry, but you need to Man-up.

Anyways I'm here to discuss as the Forum topic indicates above how: QS8's are to be used as rear surrounds.

Can anyone here state a reason as to why they cannot place their Surrounds 2'-3'feet above the listening position? I find this to be a very easy option and one of the most effective for giving the viewer the best diffused surround field. I've personally tried both the wrong way and the right and you get much better Atmosphere with THX's recommendations.

If anybody has any questions I would be happy to help as i've read all of the standards for proper speaker placement if you are striving for the best as we all are.

Sources: http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setu...tm_medium=email

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/07/14 06:59 PM.

The Teacher is in: Trust but Verify
blastermaster #402510 04/07/14 07:29 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
AlaskanAVGuy, I think your most recent post is incredibly arrogant.

Take it to AVS. We want to have fun. You're making it not fun.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
blastermaster #402511 04/07/14 07:31 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
This is sweet! laugh

I'm waiting for the Rick Astley to start playing. It's coming... Right?

AlaskanAVGuy #402515 04/07/14 07:39 PM
I'm only trying to bring some of the Fundamentals into this Forum as when I got here it was lacking

You've been here since April 1st and have decided that you need to educate everyone else here?

Yeah, the level arrogance is astounding. That's what I'm learning from you.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
tomtuttle #402517 04/07/14 07:39 PM
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
AlaskanAVGuy, I think your most recent post is incredibly arrogant.

Take it to AVS. We want to have fun. You're making it not fun.

So Dolby & THX recommendations are arrogant now?

Please tell me about your system so we may discuss it further.

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/07/14 08:17 PM.

blastermaster #402518 04/07/14 07:40 PM
No, saying that all the members of this forum are ignorant and lacking in Fundamentals (whatever that means) based on your experience on a few threads is arrogant.

As for your desperate question about not being able to mount surrounds 2-3' above the head, postulate a wide room (say, 30' wide) where it is not feasible to mount the surrounds on the walls. Further postulate a cathedral ceiling, so that it is not feasible to mount them hanging from the ceiling (or at least, that would break the golden rule of 2-3'). Then realize that perhaps it would be better to place the surrounds on stands in this case rather than to not have them at all.

EDIT: Guys, we're being effectively trolled here. Looking in the who's online, I can see that one of the good ol' problem children is hanging around at the same time as this dude.

Last edited by Ken.C; 04/07/14 07:44 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MarkSJohnson #402520 04/07/14 07:41 PM
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'm only trying to bring some of the Fundamentals into this Forum as when I got here it was lacking

You've been here since April 1st and have decided that you need to educate everyone else here?

Yeah, the level arrogance is astounding. That's what I'm learning from you.

I see a lot of attacks on me for educating the public...and i've got over 20yrs researching A/V equipment. Regardless I know what i'm talking about and have the sources where I show the information.

Please stop all of your trolling comments.

I would like to discuss anyones current setup to keep on topic

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/07/14 08:18 PM.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020