old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
Originally Posted By: J. B.
Originally Posted By: AlaskanAVGuy
Alaskan teacher,
you wrote "and with my preferred listening volume of 112dB".

i thought that each music recording had its own realistic playback level ("live" level), and the volume must be adjusted accordingly in order to give a good representation, as if you were at the concert.

if i were to adjust for a max. vol. of 112 dBSPL at the MLP for my music or movies, then it would not give me a very realistic reproduction on the great majority of those discs.
some would not be loud enough and some would be much too loud.

i have some CDs or movies that need a vol level of 6 dB over Ref. Level, and others that need as little as Ref. Level -20 dB.

"just the right loudness" has to be found by experimenting and you know when you've found it because the instruments you're hearing sound exactly like they were just a few feet in front of you, or on the side...
the representation then is so true that if you close your eyes, you will think the performer is right in front of you in the concert hall, not in your A/V room.
not in your A/V room, because the acoustic ambiance in the recording helps in making one believe that you're not in your living room anymore, but in the concert hall.

that's what Hi-Fidelity to the original is: transport you to the best seat in the concert hall.

final notes: 1: you don't have to teach here, to an empty class, it's a lot of time lost for you. you would be better to wait until someone asks a question to which you have the necessary knowledge to give a good answer.

2: your mindset does not synchronize well with the type of forum we have here. Like Tom just said above, start a blog; that would surely help people more.

Apparently your not aware of Receivers which tell you the dB off set by the input source.

For Example: When switching over to Directv on my Onkyo receiver it will tell me that
their is a 6dB off set for the source.

So to reach 112dB adjust volume accordingly. These are the BASICS.

Second I started this Thread and clearly have stated what Topics were to be discussed.
I'm not off topic in the least, perhaps you can visit the water cooler if you wish to discuss other Topics.

smile

THAT wasn't an answer to my post.
what i wrote is at the heart of good reproduction, and you said nothing about it, and what you wrote isn't very clear; i still don't know how to set the volume level for a recording so the max. SPL will be 112 dBSPL.

do you check the offset and then compensate with the vol. level and bingo! you have 112 dB max somewhere in the recording?

please enlighten me, teacher.
as a teacher, you should make certain that your writings are short, precise and clear so the "newbs" will understand.

imagine for an instant that you're listening to a piccolo and the vol. level has been set so the max. will be at 112 dB. Phew!

If you are using a Signal Generator with Pink Noise then you can dial this in pretty close to the preferred SPL level if your equipment allows.
However trying to dial in a CD or DVD is more difficult if you don't use a signal generator because of the constant change in dB.
I don't calibrate speakers this way because it's not efficient.

Also to your original concern I have already addressed how to adjust for different Source Levels by using your Receiver which will tell you how much dB you need to adjust to find the correct Level.

If your maxed and still cannot reach your goal of say 112dB then this is a problem of your A/V Equipment and are out of luck.

So can you please explain to us how and why you adjust your Max Level when using various CD's to make Adjustments??? I'm curious about your methods and knowledge of adjustments which don't make sense to me, please explain yourself.

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/11/14 08:54 PM.

The Teacher is in: Trust but Verify
Re: Understanding Tech Specs on A/V Equipment
J. B. #402877 04/11/14 08:29 PM
A
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
there are many errors on that site's page; same for your writings, teacher.
because it's written somewhere doesn't mean it's right.

this will be my last post on this topic, my cat is barking at the monitor.

;-)

I see so your saying that numerous websites with the same knowledge are incorrect according to you.

Please tell us all what is incorrect on these Websites as you claim to know of mistakes apparently. I would be interested if you would make a list. thanks

Sources i've referenced:
http://www.globalrph.com/master_speaker.htm

http://www.rayfes.com/caraudio/power.php

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/Supp...df?redirected=1

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/11/14 08:31 PM.

AlaskanAVGuy #402878 04/11/14 08:35 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
i told you just a few posts up on this page how i set the volume control.

you should read before you answer. a glance won't do.

J. B. #402879 04/11/14 08:40 PM
A
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
Ya I noticed this and then you asked the question again so I assumed that you had just glanced at my reply without reading it. I thought that you were going because of your cat....I guess your words are not literal. I'll keep that in mind when reading your responses.

So to the topics at hand:

1. You seem to know of a way to calibrate a System for specific SPL Volumes using various Music Sources...please share your explanation as I use a Signal Generator and Spl Meter.

2. You claim that their are mistakes made on the websites that I have been linking too. Please make a detailed list of all mistakes they made because you are more knowledgeable than the Sources I listed so you have claimed.

I'll be awaiting your Explanations Thanks for adding to the knowledge and understanding of A/V buddy.

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/11/14 09:05 PM.

AlaskanAVGuy #402883 04/11/14 09:05 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
usually the protocol for this type of thing is to answer questions when they come up by others.

all you are doing is googling keywords and parroting other web resources.

can you level with us? what is your actual background or credentials?

AlaskanAVGuy #402889 04/11/14 09:28 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
AlaskanAVGuy #402890 04/11/14 09:28 PM
A
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
I'm sorry I didn't realize I needed any credentials to have an open discussion here.

Do you have anything to add to the Topic at hand?

I'm trying to stay away from all the gossip and focus on just the A/V side of things instead of making it personal. So excuse me if I don't answer your question to lead away from the subject matter, which isn't about me it's about the information and discussion there of.

Your welcome to give us your credentials if you wish thou....feel free to cast the first stone if you like, but I'm not going to follow that distraction anymore.

AlaskanAVGuy #402891 04/11/14 09:30 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You don't need credentials.

You need to be pleasant.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
AlaskanAVGuy #402892 04/11/14 09:30 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
So none?

AlaskanAVGuy #402894 04/11/14 09:34 PM
A
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
I see that my information must be correct then because you have switched from trying to misrepresent the info to insulting myself. Let he without sin cast the first stone.

However i'm here to discuss the Topic at hand your welcome to join in.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020