Re: Lets plan a theater space
AAAA #408326 11/25/14 05:09 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I might try to add blocking between the joists and run the test again. If still bad I'll add plywood to the underside and omit the resilient channel for that small section. 1/2" drywall would work and would be invisible after completion.

Great idea!

AAAA #408353 11/27/14 02:01 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
broken keyboard...

i am trying to pin down locations for the atmos pre-wire. in the last couple of months i have watched several vids with interesting, although differing opinions on the 'correct' overhead atmos layout. front wides would be nice, but i have to draw the line somewhere...

here is the latest and greatest speaker layout i will be using as a plan for work tomorrow. thoughts [question mark.] the 'base layer' surrounds are already finished.

i will be landing backer boxes for them for sound isolation. i wont be able to move after drywall without some serious mess. sick it sucks having to do this without even having heard an atmos system before. big guessing game.

AAAA #408370 11/27/14 07:18 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
You should consider placing them in line if possible.
Your rear surrounds and top middle pair look right, can you/would you be able place the top rear pair inline?

Last edited by brwsaw; 11/27/14 07:42 PM.

AAAA #408374 11/27/14 09:46 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Ok. Will do that. smile

Grimani talked about the front heights being pushed forward and just inside of the mains. He didnt mention anything about the rear heights, so I went with the dolby layout for them. I think the Grimani layout omitted rear heights in favour of front wides.

I'll move the rear heights inline with the front heights. Front heights will stay put.

AAAA #408377 11/28/14 02:18 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I wish I could jump on the Atmos bandwagon now but it'll have to wait.
Placing them in line with the mains (slightly narrower as per Grimani and your current layout) should work perfectly.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the inceiling M3's once its all set up.

AAAA #408378 11/28/14 03:06 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I am not sure the in ceiling M3s are right for ATMOS in my setup. I'd love to download a manual. Are the tweeters aimable?

I will be looking at options with tiltable woofers and tweeters. The speakercraft aim line is of interest so far. I have to look into it further.....

I'll cut to it. $530 for a pair of in ceilings is a little higher than I was hoping to spend. Lots to choose from in that range.

AAAA #408380 11/28/14 04:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Some other thoughts. "Side" surrounds are OK where you have them, but unless the seats recline, you might want to slide them closer to be more 90 degrees (in line with) compared with the actual listeners ears. Like I said, it is still within Dolby specs to be slightly behind. Some people prefer slightly in front of the listeners ears, but that hasn't been something that many "experts" have talked much about, just people experimenting.

I hear ya about the M3s for Atmos overheads. I just bought four on-wall M3s to replace my four QS8s, but who knows. I may end up with some hybrid with a 9.2.2 setup. Change out my QS8s for the M3s, shift one pair of QS8s up to be "wides", and then sell the other QS8s and VP150 center that I already upgraded a couple of years ago and get a pair of M3s for the overheads.

Girmani likes dipoles for the wides to fill in the space, even though Atmos says that they want all direct/monopoles all around.

Who knows. An 11 channel Atmos receiver is still over $2000 by itself.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
AAAA #408384 11/28/14 12:14 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I'll see what I can do about sliding the side surrounds forward a bit. I dont have too much wall to work with there. I also have the ability to add 1/2" ply around the box to give mounting flexibility once I see how much real estate the door trim and acoustic panel leave.

Thanks brwsaw for the ply idea. Way easier than 2x4 blocking for future proofing.

I agree with you Nick.

My receiver was 2k less than 2 years ago.... Another receiver so soon is tough to do right now I know. frown. I'm hoping oppo or someone releases an ATMOS stand alone processor that I can add to what I currently have without taking a hit on selling my now "antique" receiver. laugh

AAAA #408567 12/04/14 11:55 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
hvac time laugh i suck at hvac.....

ok i've got the main trunks ran and split off to the room. i am using 4inch flex duct for the last 10ft or so of the return and supply runs feeding the room. voila.

i've read that to ensure the vent is dead silent there must be a box before the exhaust\supply point. apparently this creates a lower pressure zone and the air slows down enough to change any audible whistle or whatever in the vent opening. i'm not even sure 100cfm is enough of a breeze to cause an audible vent noise, but i'm airing on the side of caution. [surprise]

to purchase something ready made is not easy here on the island. a lot of blank stares today and 'go see this guy over in stratford' a whole other town.... once i did finally find someone who knew what i was after, the price was 160bucks for a sheet of rigid linocoustic. duct not included. sick

diy to the rescue. here is what i came up with for now. eventually i will have to track down something to put into the box if i need to deaden the vent a bit, but that can be done after from the vent opening. there are 2 of these made. one for each of the supply and return 5inch diffuser locations. they will mount in the stud space beside the door and just outside the screen wall at about 6 inches from ceiling to center or so. i am hoping this is enough for ventillation in the room. it is powered by a 160cfm hrv unit that will exchange the rest of the house too. inside the room i plan on having a 3 position switch to turn the system to on then to high if needed. i thought about the whole 12v trigger relay auto turn on and off thing. doable but dont feel like doing up a relay box etc. in my already cramped mech room.

does anyone know of a good product to place inside a vent to muffle sound from escaping\entering a space[question mark] i'm not sure i'll need it with the flex duct, but better find a solution for down the road....

in the unlikely event i need heat, a 1500w wall panel convector is going in on the rear wall. i will set it at 18c or so and it will likely never turn on. a\c is not doable. too expensive to install and run later. frown

AAAA #408689 12/10/14 04:36 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Due to escalating reno activity elsewhere in the house before winter sets in, my basement funds are temporarily exhausted. Subbing out work gets expensive, but I dont own a backhoe crazy

Probably a good time to take a breather due to the holiday season anyhow.

Merry Christmas everyone! More updates and consruction in the new year. smile

Page 22 of 89 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 88 89

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020