Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New Forum Rule
Ian #403323 04/19/14 03:35 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
What I miss? Never mind, I don't want to know. I hate drama.

AdrianD #403332 04/19/14 05:23 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Originally Posted By: AdrianD
Originally Posted By: Ian
“The Axiom Forum is intended to be a fun place to discuss our fun hobby. Posters intent on being argumentative may be banned at the sole discretion of the moderators.”

To clarify (from Merriam-Webster):
"Relating to or causing the expression of opposing opinions."

Did I get this right?

I can't speak for everyone but I think it goes without saying opinions are most welcome, state them and move on.
The case here, I'm sure, was the "better than thou" attitude that got personal quickly. It was the way the posts were written.
Me, I hope he comes back and pokes a little fun, but only after getting the hint.

Last edited by brwsaw; 04/19/14 05:25 PM.

brwsaw #403361 04/20/14 01:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Been on a number of internet forums for more than 15 years now. Every forum is a community with it's own dynamic. I am always amazed when a newcomer joins and, without lurking awhile to determine the forum dynamic, immediately starts posting controversial, often insulting, stuff.

It's like walking into someone's house, flopping down on the sofa, ordering a beer, and pointing out the faults of the house and its owners. What the heck does one think will be the results? Such behavior certainly isn't a prescription for a warm welcome.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #403362 04/20/14 03:41 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
I say it's time to let this ride.. take it as he was probably abused when he was young or he has a real boring personal life that he feels the need to go insult people on an other forum, or some cut him off on the road while giving him the bird!!!

opinions often can show the best and worst from some people!

Ajax #403363 04/20/14 03:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ajax
Been on a number of internet forums for more than 15 years now. Every forum is a community with it's own dynamic. I am always amazed when a newcomer joins and, without lurking awhile to determine the forum dynamic, immediately starts posting controversial, often insulting, stuff.

I totally agree, Jack. You have to get to know someone a bit before you can meaningfully insult them.

It's like walking into someone's house, flopping down on the sofa, ordering a beer, and pointing out the faults of the house and its owners. What the heck does one think will be the results? Such behavior certainly isn't a prescription for a warm welcome.

Jack, people PAY me to do that!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #403365 04/20/14 04:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BobKay
I totally agree, Jack. You have to get to know someone a bit before you can meaningfully insult them.

So true! LOL.

And when you tell them the price, I bet YOUR welcome cools a bit. wink

Jack

Ajax #403371 04/20/14 09:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ajax

So true! LOL.

And when you tell them the price, I bet YOUR welcome cools a bit. wink

Jack, Jack, Jack!

You get them laughing about everything your're pointing out that you are actually faulting. (Having been a bartender is great experience for this.) A short time later, you leave them that way---laughing. The next morning, they will come down for breakfast and re-asses all of that "wonderful-never-been-painted woodwork" and see it as "ancient-varnish-orange trim" with little "samples" of every color the room has ever been painted in 8 decades, in blobs and swipes all along every edge in the whole gd house. Now it HAS TO GO and they can't wait the 72 hours I told them it'd take for me to email the estimate to them.

Of course, until I said something, they'd been living with it for 7 years. Now they want it all gone before they come home from work tomorrow.

They just hope I'm a not a top-dollar guy. When they get the email and find out I'm not. It's mine. I'm pretty M.O.R., $-wise, esp. for what I bring to the table. Frankly, I'm a terrible business guy. I'm the moron that says "yes," to a few small extras for nothing, then the simplest of them will blow up in my face and cost me money.

They will wonder how they ever "saw" anything for what it really was without your keen and deeply experienced assistance.
Wait 3 days, no more no less. They will still remember the laughs and feel even more strongly about what you suggest. That's the day you email (only!) your estimate.

Break out every last screw and 1/2 hour of labor of your estimate and never total it. Tell them it's so they can pick and choose what they might like to do now or put off until later and just add in THOSE things, plus materials at my full discounts.

They will never add it up, because they want to do everything, now that you've made them think everything needs to be done sooner or later. (It does!) The breakouts all sound reasonable (and they are), so they will often, really often, pull the trigger on the whole thing.

As long as I can get an "Oooh," or an "Ahhh" on the first day they see two colored areas together, I'm in like Flynn.

I do get resistance most often when it comes to editing.

"I know your mother hand-painted that dresser for you when you were only 6, but nothing even remotely like it appears in any of the magazine pages of bedrooms you've ripped out to show me, does it?"

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Ian #403372 04/20/14 09:15 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I will testify to this being the truth.

Bob pointed out that the woodwork in our kitchen as orange-ey and not even nice wood.

Joyce and I haven't looked at it the same since, and we picked the colors and bought the paint.

I haven't had time to actually DO the work yet, which means Bob made us hate it and then live with it for another year beyond (so far!!).

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
BobKay #403373 04/20/14 10:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bob, Bob, Bob. Didn't you see the wink? smile

Jack

Ian #403391 04/21/14 12:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bob Hates emotes. They appear orange-ey to him and not even nice wood.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters