AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
5 registered (J. B., wilwom, pmbuko, cohesion, Ken.C), 88 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22826 Topics
403235 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17741
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11140
MarkSJohnson 10832
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405020 - 06/04/14 08:17 AM Looking for a good recordings
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

Loc: Oakville, Canada
I have some symphonies that I really like. Sadly however my new Axiom speakers make quite a few of my favourite CD's sound awful as they lack the clarity and depth that others have.

So here comes the hard part. How does one go about getting a good recording?

I really like Dvorak: New World Symphony. The copy that I have (isbn 289417742), is a ADD but listed as ADRM - digital remastered to audiophile standards. Yes it sounds rather empty and missing any dynamics.

I have a copy of Tchaikovsky 1812 with full digitally recorded canons. (How I wish I had an EP800 for that part). Now, that sounds absolutely wonderful.

What method do you use to find classical music that was recorded well?

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

#405022 - 06/04/14 08:22 AM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
I ask JohnK.

#405023 - 06/04/14 09:24 AM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
J. B. Online   content
connoisseur

Loc: Quebec, Canada
i used to read lots of recording reviews in magazines.
that was before the Internet.

the magazine i liked most at the time, even if they openly showed preference for U.K. recordings, was The Gramophone.

no idea if they're still good at it...

#405045 - 06/04/14 12:29 PM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
aficionado

Matt:

I use this site all of the time for reviews & sampling CDs & SACDs before I purchase them:

http://www.allmusic.com/

One of the best Recording Labels (especially for classical) is 'TELARC' & their affiliate 'Heads Up'. They were pioneers in high end digital recording & their stuff is generally outstanding. I have a fairly large collection of their work in both CD & SACD. Unfortunately they were bought out a couple of years ago by Concord Music Group that sadly spelled their demise.
Their story here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telarc

TAM

#405049 - 06/04/14 12:55 PM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma

#405076 - 06/04/14 10:27 PM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Matt, I have about a thousand classical CDs and certainly wouldn't describe any as "missing any dynamics". I buy(and occasionally recommend here)discs of music I like, well- performed and well-recorded(I would never buy or suggest something solely because of outstanding sound quality).

Among my search methods are studying the performance/sound ratings at Classics Today and paying some attention to Amazon customer reviews. Since I have access to about 150 college and public libraries I'm able to borrow most recordings that might interest me before I buy.

The Dvorak symphonies are also among my favorites and I have several versions of most of them. If you identify more specifically the disc of the 9th that you refer to, I might be familiar with it and comment. However, in the meantime I already have a clear recommendation for a 2-disc set of the Dvorak Symphonies 7-9(I like 7 and 8 at least as much as 9) plus Scherzo Capriccioso with outstanding performances in outstanding sound by Dohnanyi and the Cleveland Orchestra. Available for about $12 up from several Amazon sellers .

If you have some other works that you're interested in I'd be glad to make suggestions about those I'm familiar with, or suggest a few that I think combine great music and great sound.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.