AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13329 Members
11 Forums
22920 Topics
405222 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13341
CV 11236
MarkSJohnson 10942
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405859 - 06/28/14 12:12 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: exlabdriver]
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

Loc: Oakville, Canada
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
Matt.

It's certainly not your fault. While the net is wonderful tool, it is certainly not infallible.

Axiom's Customer Service has always been top notch in resolving these types of issues...

TAM

I have sent off an email to Brent to tell him to process your order for the ES800. I really don't need two of them.

Enjoy the unit.. it's a monster

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

#405860 - 06/28/14 12:45 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

Matt:

Thank you kind sir. This is saving you a bunch & costing me a bunch, ha!!

Actually your room is 400 cu ft smaller than mine so I think that 2 of these beasts might be a bit of overkill - although bassheads wouldn't agree, ha! - especially with your LFRs in there as well.

Again, I'm going to use this as a <20 Hz unit just to see what the fuss is all about.

Have a great Canada Day long weekend & hope that the weather cooperates...

Thanks

TAM

#405866 - 06/28/14 03:04 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

I'm in the planning stage on where to place this EP800 beast.

I would like to put it behind my listening position couch, but since I'm on a slab with laminate flooring, running a long connecting cable from my AVR under many feet of baseboards & a doorway would be a complete PITA.

Has anyone here used this wireless sub transmitter or a similar product?:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-WSW312.html

It reviews fairly well...

TAM

#405868 - 06/28/14 04:27 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

Loc: Oakville, Canada
This dream of having a good room to listen is sure costing me a bundle.

I just worked out the floor is setting me back a good $2500 when you factor in that there are some sewer rough-in parts sticking out that have to be capped and dropped back below the concrete floor. The floor needs to be leveled, and 300sq/feet of platon, 9 sheets of 17/32" OSB, 3mm cork underlay and floating cork flooring. Good thing I am handy and can do the work myself or that price would be easily triple that.

But what use is there getting good sounding equipment if your room is acoustically challenged and cant support the sound that your speakers produce.

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

#405871 - 06/28/14 05:39 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

My placement problem is sure trivial when contrasted to your project.

Good luck with it all. It'll be worth it in the end unless you get another attack of upgradeitis, ha!

TAM

#405872 - 06/28/14 06:38 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: exlabdriver]
1sweetspot Offline
veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
I'm using something similar to that from Soundcast, I think it's called "Subcast". Works great in my application as I had a doorway between my sub and receiver. I don't think I could tell the difference between wired and wireless.

#405874 - 06/28/14 07:23 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

Thanks for the info.

Looks like a quality, premium unit with a price to match...

TAM

#405878 - 06/30/14 10:43 AM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
stoudtlr Offline
buff

You pulled the trigger on the 800 already so there isn't any real reason to comment, but I'll concur with the majority of the opinions here. IMO, decent subs aren't just a recommendation for a true home theater, they are a requirement. Towers that can play down to the 30's might be good enough for playing music without a sub, but will not do justice to explosions, rocket takeoffs, earthquakes, or any other movie scenes where frequencies around 10hz or sometimes even lower are produced.

First movie that comes to mind for showing the real advantage of a dedicated sub is Cloverfield. There are many scenes in that movies with single digit frequencies. Find me a tower speaker that can play those scenes as good as a 12" or 15" (or larger) sub and I'll eat crow.

Here are some graphs of several bass heavy moments from that movie:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/databass-movies-deep-bass-dmdb/18500-cloverfield.html

Edited by stoudtlr (06/30/14 10:45 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot link

#405886 - 06/30/14 03:43 PM Re: How important are Sub's in HT [Re: oakvillematt]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Cloverfield. I went to Netflix to put that movie in my queue, and then noticed that sometime in the past, I had already watched it and rated it with only 1 star (meaning I hated it). I don't remember it, and probably didn't even have a sub when I watched it back then.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.