AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (CV, Ian, Philippos), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22875 Topics
404226 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17768
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11194
MarkSJohnson 10878
Meanwhile On Facebook

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406059 - 07/11/14 12:44 AM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Whitehorse YT
Ha HA nick that reminds when I used to play counterstrike years ago and people would report others to the admin LOL

#406065 - 07/11/14 11:28 AM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
Hellcommute Offline
veteran

I received a pm from gene for something I posted here regarding another video. It was about the loudspeaker myths vid where he refers to "Z100" speakers as an imaginary example. I quipped about his vague jabs at axiom. He was not amused.

I'll probably be banned at audioholics due to this post. I wonder why Clint Deboer was banned there. He was a nice and helpful staffer at AH.

#406068 - 07/11/14 01:13 PM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

In that article, I was of the opinion that 2 of the so-called 'myths' - 'Manufacturers building their own Drivers In-House' & 'Manufacturers having an In-House Anechoic Chamber - were certainly a stretch & another veiled shot. In fact, I would think that having both of those capabilities would be most advantageous for quality control & ongoing research on site. Not many manufacturers have this capability, especially with regards to having a full size chamber in your own back yard.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, I failed to grow a pair & could not bring myself to rebut those weakest of arguments over there...

TAM

#406069 - 07/11/14 01:25 PM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: exlabdriver]
cohesion Offline
local

Loc: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
In that article, I was of the opinion that 2 of the so-called 'myths' - 'Manufacturers building their own Drivers In-House' & 'Manufacturers having an In-House Anechoic Chamber - were certainly a stretch & another veiled shot. In fact, I would think that having both of those capabilities would be most advantageous for quality control & ongoing research on site. Not many manufacturers have this capability, especially with regards to having a full size chamber in your own back yard.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, I failed to grow a pair & could not bring myself to rebut those weakest of arguments over there...

TAM

I am curious enough about this to go search for the mentioned myths video. While I do, could someone please provide a link if you have it handy?

#406070 - 07/11/14 02:34 PM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

#406071 - 07/11/14 02:39 PM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

There's a response from gene over at the AVS forum to the criticism's of his video. Gene's Reply

#406078 - 07/11/14 10:04 PM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
Crimson Wrath Offline
old hand

Loc: NC
I like to read a lot on the Audioholics forums and have learned quite a bit from there. Gene seems like a very experience fellow in the field with an EE degree (he seems to like to bring that up often) but people skills are definitely something he seems to lack. If he had a business such as a speaker or other audio related business that required more customer service than runing Audioholics, I don't think he could involve himself much in the customer service aspect as he'd end up insulting or ostracizing the customers. That's typical of highly technical engineering professions I guess though.

#406120 - 07/13/14 11:48 PM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: Crimson Wrath
Gene seems like a very experience fellow in the field with an EE degree (he seems to like to bring that up often).

Has he ever designed anything, or worked as an EE for a quantifiable amount of time? All of us know you go to college to get the basics and the piece of paper, then you learn the real skillset in industry..

I would trust Andrew infinitely more than Gene. While both have the same education (EE) one is a practicing engineer, while the other appears not to be...

I also noticed Gene throwing his education around.. I know several people with an EE degree that i correct on electrical theory all of the time. But, thats because i was in that field and know the practical application as well as theory, they know the math and think they know the theory..

Man, at this rate i'll probably never be aloud to register at audioholics should i want to... Oh well.

#406121 - 07/14/14 12:32 AM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

If my memory serves me right, he did work as an EE on some pretty complex stuff for defense contractors for the better part of a decade.

He is very experienced in his field but I don't know about any work directly with designing or building speakers, although he may have...

TAM

#406123 - 07/14/14 12:57 AM Re: Audioholics Video [Re: Crimson Wrath]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

FWIW I recall reading his bio and he has plenty of design experience. I get what you are saying , its what I call book smart vs street smart. I am not an EE but I have to agree to some extent with his early observation , that bouncing the sound off the ceiling is dubious. Physic's it just works. I also question the necessity of overhead information. Have you ever heard an airplane going over you head , and then having to search the sky for it, or a bird for that matter, I hear it but can not immediately pin point its location. Our hearing is designed to detect predators not little birdies.

Lets be clear, I am not defending gene just pointing out my opinion and how I see things at this time. Gene has some work to do on his tact and people skills in general.
Richard

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.