Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Audioholics Video
#406030 07/10/14 10:52 AM
C
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
C
I just watched a video of Audioholics on their YouTube channel and think they may have made a swing at Axiom, justified or not. Not trying to bring up previous drama that I read about in the past between them and Axiom, but I was curious if anyone else saw this or have an idea that they were referring to something else. The video is about measuring amplifiers, and the equipment and tests that they run when measuring audio amps in an objective and quantitative manner.

Go the the 06:45 mark if desired to see what they were talking about. They went into Class D amps and mention a Canadian company, then Hugo makes an "A" sign with his hand in the air.

Audioholics Amp Measurement

M60|VP150|2xQS8|PSA XS30+Epik Empire|Pioneer Kuro 6010FD|PS3|Denon AVR-X4000|Parasound 5250v.2|
Re: Audioholics Video
Crimson Wrath #406031 07/10/14 10:59 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
FWIW, I don't see the guy on the right drawing an "A" in the air as much as a frequency-response chart that, from his inverted point of view, shows something happening in the high frequencies.... which is what the other guy is talking about.

I don't go to Audioholics (or any other HT/Audio site) any more, so I don't know anything about these guys. I also didn't watch the whole video; just the portion that you pointed out.

So I have nothing else to offer except: To me, it looked like a FR chart drawn in the air, not an "A".

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #406032 07/10/14 11:20 AM
C
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
C
Thought it might have been that also. What other Canadian audio companies make class D amps? I don't think Bryston does.

M60|VP150|2xQS8|PSA XS30+Epik Empire|Pioneer Kuro 6010FD|PS3|Denon AVR-X4000|Parasound 5250v.2|
Crimson Wrath #406034 07/10/14 03:31 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Crimson Wrath
I just watched a video of Audioholics on their YouTube channel and think they may have made a swing at Axiom, justified or not. Not trying to bring up previous drama that I read about in the past between them and Axiom, but I was curious if anyone else saw this or have an idea that they were referring to something else. The video is about measuring amplifiers, and the equipment and tests that they run when measuring audio amps in an objective and quantitative manner.

Go the the 06:45 mark if desired to see what they were talking about. They went into Class D amps and mention a Canadian company, then Hugo makes an "A" sign with his hand in the air.

Audioholics Amp Measurement

They are like a couple of scorned immature children who have been put in their place. After all that has happened and the stunts they have pulled, whatever credibility they had disappeared a long time ago.

Crimson Wrath #406037 07/10/14 05:17 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Thinly veiled shots are standard there...

TAM

Crimson Wrath #406040 07/10/14 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Was that an A he drew or was he referring to frequency response. Gene is a smart guy, and what he says makes sense but he uses a lot of innuendo's .

Here's a crack at Hugo, seriously who would keep a name like that. He should be on Jersey Shore, he is like the poster boy for muscle bound , mentally challenged NewYorker. I don't know why he is in those video's the cardboard cutout in the background is probably smarter.

Last edited by Socketman; 07/10/14 06:06 PM.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406041 07/10/14 07:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i could only handle a couple minutes of that video. I think i lost a few brain cells in doing so. Hugo seemed to constantly chuckle in agreement, with nothing substantive to add to the discussion...

Emotiva isn't the only company to carry large resistors.. It seems like Gene is too cheap to buy a couple large power resistors...

Anyhow, i'll stop there...... before i say something too inflammatory...

Gr8_White_North #406050 07/10/14 11:45 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Socketman
Was that an A he drew or was he referring to frequency response. Gene is a smart guy, and what he says makes sense but he uses a lot of innuendo's .

Here's a crack at Hugo, seriously who would keep a name like that. He should be on Jersey Shore, he is like the poster boy for muscle bound , mentally challenged NewYorker. I don't know why he is in those video's the cardboard cutout in the background is probably smarter.

One thing Gene doesn't like is when you question his philosophy or ideas. He seems like a pretty vindictive individual who does not take criticism well. I have seen responses from him on the forum directed towards some in a pretty harsh manner and if he doesn't like what you say, you get labelled on the forum in perpetuity, believe me, I know.

Crimson Wrath #406052 07/10/14 11:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes gene is not too tactful but that's more a character flaw I think and not really intentional. Not an endearing quality trust me. smile

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406056 07/11/14 03:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Not related to the topic at hand, but I got permanently banned from some forums today. I had been a member for about 7 or 8 years, and all because the owner/moderator didn't read one of my posts thoroughly and he didn't agree with my statement, so he went on some rant about me being an idiot and played this "passive aggressive" game of putting insults between his first and last name in his signature like Robert "why do you like to like to argue things that don't make sense" Lalvey. (name somewhat disguised to hide his real identity). Then I would come back and say, "Hey, I was *agreeing* with you and just bringing up a different perspective, not my perspective, but a different one... This was followed by him ranting again about how I clearly am insulting him, blah blah blah. This went on for about 10 minutes of him not reading what I was saying, and then him doing childish things like making a long post full of swearing and BS towards me so that everyone subscribed to the topic would see his response, and then he would delete it from the forums. He also started deleting my posts and saying that I wasn't adding to the discussion (when my counter-perspective was directly in response to the topic).

Anyway, I got banned even after I sent him a PM saying that I apologized for not being clear and failing in communication (which wasn't true, but he is the site owner). Didn't matter. His ego was somehow insulted (in his own mind) and he perm banned my ID, ip address, email address, etc.

So I sent him an email from another address, and he still resorted to name calling saying that I was being an idiot and stupid for arguing with him on *HIS* forums. Then he unbanned me.

I did some digging today and it sounds like this guy is a total tool. LOTS of information on the web about him being a "dipstick" and banning anyone that he wants for any reason. I am sure that some were justified, but I saved and re-read all of my posts and communications, plus his, and the only idiot was him. He even perm banned a group of something like 100 members all at once because they were simply part of a discussion elsewhere and there were a couple of posts by a couple of people talking bad about him.

If he didn't have probably the top forums for the particular topic, I would say "screw you" and not go back. For now I will just know that he is the stupid one and just ignore him.

Oh, and he somehow set it up so that the topic when viewed via Tapatalk on people's phones shows a picture of Barney... The purple dinosaur... AS if to get the final childish "jab" of an "I love you, you love me" idiocy.

He and Gene are probably good friends.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Crimson Wrath #406059 07/11/14 04:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ha HA nick that reminds when I used to play counterstrike years ago and people would report others to the admin LOL

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406065 07/11/14 03:28 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I received a pm from gene for something I posted here regarding another video. It was about the loudspeaker myths vid where he refers to "Z100" speakers as an imaginary example. I quipped about his vague jabs at axiom. He was not amused.

I'll probably be banned at audioholics due to this post. I wonder why Clint Deboer was banned there. He was a nice and helpful staffer at AH.

Crimson Wrath #406068 07/11/14 05:13 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
In that article, I was of the opinion that 2 of the so-called 'myths' - 'Manufacturers building their own Drivers In-House' & 'Manufacturers having an In-House Anechoic Chamber - were certainly a stretch & another veiled shot. In fact, I would think that having both of those capabilities would be most advantageous for quality control & ongoing research on site. Not many manufacturers have this capability, especially with regards to having a full size chamber in your own back yard.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, I failed to grow a pair & could not bring myself to rebut those weakest of arguments over there...

TAM

exlabdriver #406069 07/11/14 05:25 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
In that article, I was of the opinion that 2 of the so-called 'myths' - 'Manufacturers building their own Drivers In-House' & 'Manufacturers having an In-House Anechoic Chamber - were certainly a stretch & another veiled shot. In fact, I would think that having both of those capabilities would be most advantageous for quality control & ongoing research on site. Not many manufacturers have this capability, especially with regards to having a full size chamber in your own back yard.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, I failed to grow a pair & could not bring myself to rebut those weakest of arguments over there...

TAM

I am curious enough about this to go search for the mentioned myths video. While I do, could someone please provide a link if you have it handy?

Crimson Wrath #406070 07/11/14 06:34 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E

Crimson Wrath #406071 07/11/14 06:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There's a response from gene over at the AVS forum to the criticism's of his video. Gene's Reply

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406078 07/12/14 02:04 AM
C
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
C
I like to read a lot on the Audioholics forums and have learned quite a bit from there. Gene seems like a very experience fellow in the field with an EE degree (he seems to like to bring that up often) but people skills are definitely something he seems to lack. If he had a business such as a speaker or other audio related business that required more customer service than runing Audioholics, I don't think he could involve himself much in the customer service aspect as he'd end up insulting or ostracizing the customers. That's typical of highly technical engineering professions I guess though.

Crimson Wrath #406120 07/14/14 03:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Crimson Wrath
Gene seems like a very experience fellow in the field with an EE degree (he seems to like to bring that up often).

Has he ever designed anything, or worked as an EE for a quantifiable amount of time? All of us know you go to college to get the basics and the piece of paper, then you learn the real skillset in industry..

I would trust Andrew infinitely more than Gene. While both have the same education (EE) one is a practicing engineer, while the other appears not to be...

I also noticed Gene throwing his education around.. I know several people with an EE degree that i correct on electrical theory all of the time. But, thats because i was in that field and know the practical application as well as theory, they know the math and think they know the theory..

Man, at this rate i'll probably never be aloud to register at audioholics should i want to... Oh well.

Crimson Wrath #406121 07/14/14 04:32 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
If my memory serves me right, he did work as an EE on some pretty complex stuff for defense contractors for the better part of a decade.

He is very experienced in his field but I don't know about any work directly with designing or building speakers, although he may have...

TAM

Crimson Wrath #406123 07/14/14 04:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FWIW I recall reading his bio and he has plenty of design experience. I get what you are saying , its what I call book smart vs street smart. I am not an EE but I have to agree to some extent with his early observation , that bouncing the sound off the ceiling is dubious. Physic's it just works. I also question the necessity of overhead information. Have you ever heard an airplane going over you head , and then having to search the sky for it, or a bird for that matter, I hear it but can not immediately pin point its location. Our hearing is designed to detect predators not little birdies.

Lets be clear, I am not defending gene just pointing out my opinion and how I see things at this time. Gene has some work to do on his tact and people skills in general.
Richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406137 07/14/14 04:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I work with a guy (heck, we go to lunch together several times a week) who is an EE. He worked 10 years for Rockwell Collins doing some defense work for the government...

He even created and patented some fuel sensor module inside Polaris jet skis at some point...

He know nothing about amps, speakers, or even basic electrical in a house it seems. Not saying that he isn't a smart guy, but he had nothing "real world" to give him any experience with the audio or video world, and yet he tries to show off his system at home to everyone he knows as if he is an expert. Then again, at least he let me set it all up for him and get him some nice Axioms. wink

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Crimson Wrath #406264 07/20/14 03:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado

I especially enjoyed the "similarly good" comments starting at 6:45, along with the giggling yes-man next to him. smile

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Crimson Wrath #406344 07/26/14 06:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I watched through this one about their take on amplifiers all sounding the same, or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZUCoK4qyls

I love to see a good quantifiable experiment to answer such questions, but the explanation provided here for people that think all amps sound the same was "they are usually people that don't have a lot of experience [in] designing [amps]" etc.
See 3:05 to 4:45 and then the comment at 5:40.

It is a rather ignorant statement by an engineer who doesn't think like a scientist that designs proper, quantifiable studies for acoustic behavior testing to determine what the human ear really CAN distinguish. They do go on to talk about how they've done many blind tests on their own in-house, but produce a peer reviewed paper out of that and let others critique the methods and results and i will listen alot more closely than to some of the drivel they spewed in this video. Until then, i saw mostly subjective chatter in this video which seems like it was presented to satisfy the masses of audiophiles who follow blind beliefs with a weak attempt to appeal to both camps.
Let me guess, they can't be bothered to take the time and effort to produce such a paper?

Too bad.
I once followed Audioholics as a great resource. I've lost confidence in that objectivity they once seemed to portray.

As a note on presentations, i suggest Gene does these videos on his own. The sidekick thing seems rather useless, almost comical. It reminds me of Ed Mcmahon pointless and distracting background chuckling of Johnny Carson.
https://screen.yahoo.com/ed-mcmahon-school-laughing-000000509.html

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/26/14 06:49 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020