Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Large TV Advise
MMM #405181 06/07/14 06:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
But use it for 2-3 years and then compare it with what it was like. The blacks are no longer as black. The white has turned into a more creamy colour. So if you want to replace the TV every 18-24 months, then you will by far have a much better picture.

This is a very OLD myth about plasma tvs.
The concept of burnout/washout and followed by 'plasma recharging'.
Our neighbor has had his plasma for over 8 years now, plays movies every weekend (aside from other tv watching). It still has better blacks than the 1 year old LCD we bought which was top ranked on a number of review sites.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
MMM #405183 06/07/14 06:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now

The plasma vs LCD quality debate was won long ago. Any online article, reviewer, top pick list etc is/was plasma. First Kuro now the zt60.

If you want to use that line of thought, then we can say that the PC vs Mac was won long ago (back in the late eighties). The PC was by far the better computer hands down and so there is no need to even bother looking at current generations because innovation and new technology can't change anything.

Plasma has improved. So has LED. I will say that out of the box, plasma does have a better picture. The backs are blacker, the white is whiter. But use it for 2-3 years and then compare it with what it was like. The blacks are no longer as black. The white has turned into a more creamy colour. So if you want to replace the TV every 18-24 months, then you will by far have a much better picture. But is has better off axis viewing. Better in a brighter lit room. Faster colour change. Great TV. I have no problems with saying it.

I do have a problem with all the false bashing of LCD that has zero base in facts. if you want to make a broad statement, then it better have something to back it up other that hearsay and just because someone said it on the internet it must be true.

Hey matt, I have a 7yr old 720p LG plasma, a 5yr old Panny 800u and a Lg that's a couple yrs old that gets the least amount of use and I can say that given the tech from 7yrs ago the Lg 720 stll looks damn good (10,000 hrs plus) and none of them exhibit the problems you describe. As for the Panny if anything it has improved. Plasma is still valid for a while since LG and Samsung are on the job and oled is around the corner. I say to each his own but for my eyes which were used for a lot of years watching CRT the Plasma looks more life like and real . LCD looks exaggerated. This wont be the first time the wrong technology won. Beta was better than VHS yet it lost out. I think HD DVD was better than Bluray , and the pc will always outsell and outshine Mac.

My parents bought a plasma first for the living room and later an lcd for their bedroom and for them they don't give a shit one way or the other. All the people that buy tvs that don't hang out on the internet in forums like us then to buy what pops when they walk in , and plasma doesn't pop. But that pop gets old fast but by the time they notice its too late.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
chesseroo #405199 06/07/14 09:42 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Well, I can pull reviews from the internet such as

http://www.cnet.com/news/2010-panasonic-...an-competition/

I can't say if this has been fixed with later models as they have not been out for long enough to know.

I have several friends that have plasma screens and I can see a difference. Yes, it is still blacker than my LCD, but not as black as it once was. And then there is the even older models that burn in was a serious problem. He watches CTV news every morning, and just the ticker bar and some of the highlight bars they use, over the past 6 years of ownership there is a definite colour change burn in for those spots on his TV.

Now, if you don't happen to watch stations like that, then it won't be a problem for you. But with any pro's in a TV, you must also accept there will be some con's to smack you in the face.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
INANE #405204 06/08/14 01:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It seems there are some sets more susceptible to burn in than others. I have 3 kids and every game console known to man and they leave the menu's and maps up for extended periods against my instructions LOL and I have no permanent burn in though I was concerned initially. My older sets have blacks that came very close to my newest set , though I read about problems with the TCP 800u Panasonic I have not experienced any that bother me personally. I have learned to just use things as they are designed, no special treatment here. If the cant survive they get the boot, its that simple. I did one repair to my first lg about 8 months ago, one day it went pop and quit. Took it apart found the smelly part, ordered a new one and its back up and running. I added a fan over the offending part to circumvent further trouble since the tv is passively cooled.

I think the only reason plasma will die is that it cant compete price wise with an lcd anymore. Plasma panel once were able to be larger than LCD but that has changed and getting those blacks is expensive ( ask pioneer) the margins are just to small to make plasma viable.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
INANE #405301 06/10/14 04:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
On thing I forgot to mention earlier about my 65 inch Panasonic VT50, is I've had both the iso and the THX modes calibrated for Dark room, Light Room, and 3D. These modes don't allow for any tweaking by the user.

There is more motion blur in the THX modes. In the Japanese anime, The Secret World of Ariety, near the beginning, where the boy gets out of the car, walks through the gate, then there's a long right to left pan. It's blurry in THX, but crystal clear in iso.

INANE #406772 08/25/14 05:36 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
A couple questions (because this thread is where I am storing my noodling on this topic):

As of today, if you had an aging set you wanted to replace/upgrade, would you get a Samsung plasma, some good-quality LED, or wait around to see what happens with OLED?

Our room has a window at the opposite end from the TV, so I REALLY need some kind of matte filter rather than a full-gloss screen. Whaddyagot?

Sony sets seem to look good and get good reviews, but I'm scared of the reliability and the largely 120Hz refresh rate (at my price point). Thoughts?

Go 'Hawks.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
INANE #406775 08/25/14 05:55 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Tom:

I have 2 Sony LCD TVs - 1 low end & 1 higher end. The lower end 42 incher has been running flawlessly for 3 years now & I'm into my second year on my 55 incher as well - no problems.

The PQ on my 55 incher in my HT is certainly a cut above the other one with better blacks & to me is simply stunning. LCD off axis is not as good as plasma but to me is just as good in every other way as other types. I never ever have witnessed lag or trails on my two sets...

TAM

INANE #406779 08/25/14 08:51 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks, Tom.

Sony is blowing out the curved 65" 990 for $1799 right now. I'm not really jazzed about the curved part, but I am tempted.

http://store.sony.com/sony-sup-sup-s990-...All-Sony-HD-TVs

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
INANE #406788 08/26/14 05:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have the 65 inch Panasonic VT-50 plasma (from about 2 years ago), and am in love with it, but unfortunately, plasma's won't be made in the 4k version, as I've heard, so plasma's will probably be phased out.

If I were buying today, I'd definitely get one of the 4k TV's and that curved 65 inch Samsung would probably work for me. The curved part is mostly hype and seems to have to effect, so curved or not curved you probably won't notice any difference. It's not THAT curved.

INANE #406790 08/26/14 05:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Samsung 6 series LCD still trouble free after 5 years...I'll look at a 4k in 2-3 years once the $ drops...will definitely be looking at another Sammy before any other brands.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters