Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: onn
Very nice Charles. I can't wait to see how the finished room will look

Me, either. I'm getting more and more impatient.

Re: CV's Subterranean Adventure
CV #399536 12/26/13 04:11 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Okay, back for a little more advice. Who here is happy with how they're running speaker and data cables around their spaces? I'm finding it a little problematic in a couple of cases. For some of it, it will be easy enough to take advantage of the suspended ceiling for runs. Where it gets tricky is running USB to my seating area (I prefer wired game controllers so I don't have to mess with batteries, and since I use my PC with my home theater, I'd like the ability to plug any USB device in right there), DisplayPort or HDMI to the seating area (should I want to hook up a normal computer monitor for certain types of work), power to the Buttkickers, signal cables to wherever the subwoofers end up, and speaker cables to all surround channels except for the left surround.

Putting most of them behind the baseboards would be perfect, but I'm not finding many elegant solutions. This is the best one I've found:

Access 5000 Large Capacity Raceway by Wiremold

I like that it has two channels, for power and data, and that it's a cover you can pop off whenever you need to switch out cables. But it's a bit spendy, and I think there'd still be a bit of jury-rigging for my intended use.

I'm still not sure how I'm doing the rear surrounds. I have the Axiom stands that I can use, but it does mean running speaker cable out to the center of the room. I have floor cord protectors, which can mostly be covered by whatever area rugs I make. I also have ceiling mounts, but they'll be out in the center of the space, so people would have to watch their heads, and I wouldn't be able to do as much experimenting with positioning without making a lot of work for myself.

No matter what, I'm going to have power and data cables going to the seating area. I suppose I'm simply not sure how best to get them there. Any brainstorms?

Again, thanks for letting me use you as a sounding board. Any feedback is appreciated.

CV #399543 12/26/13 04:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I did a short USB extension from my equipment closet in the basement to my living room right above it with a basic cable <15 ft and it works fine. But for longer distance I wonder how well something like this would work.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...=1&format=2

INANE #399688 01/03/14 05:58 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I already have an active USB 2.0 extender for the Kinect, as I think that's the longest USB run I need to do. I'm going to try to run the USB 3.0 cables pretty much directly from the equipment closet to the seating area using a floor cord cover. I'll have the cables to the Buttkickers, right surround, and rear surrounds following the baseboard around to the other side of the seating area. Another floor cord cover will get the Buttkicker cables to the Buttkickers. Raceway will get the speaker cable to the right surround. Even more floor cord cover will get the speaker cables to the rear surrounds, which I've decided will be on the FMS-QS stands I already have. I was considering ceiling-mounting them, but I decided I want to be able to move them around with more freedom, for experimentation purposes.

The floor cord covers will most be covered by area rugs, so hopefully it will look okay.

I've ordered one section of this baseboard:

CableMate Baseboard Channel w/2 End Caps, White C800

If it looks like it will work, I'll go ahead and order the rest of what I need.

CV #406845 08/28/14 07:32 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm embarrassed even posting in this thread anymore. Finally pulled the trigger on some lighting for the basement. I couldn't get everything I hoped for, but I think we ended up with a pretty good compromise.

FlatMAX™ Edge Lit LED 2x2 Panel

We got the 5000K panels. I would have liked higher CRI.

At first we took home some can lighting, but with the ceiling being so low, the light didn't have any space in which to spread out, so it ended up being very focused in spots in the floor. Thankfully, it wasn't too late to cancel the order, and a second trip to the store had us looking at these panels. They seemed perfect for evenly distributed output, with the added benefit of being much less labor-intensive (no cutting out for the cans). Also easier to work with than other fixtures we were considering, since they're only 2" deep, where everything else was around 3.5" and more, which is problematic because of how little space there is between the ceiling grid and the floor joists above. 2" meant pain-free slipping in of the panels.

I hadn't kept up on LED lighting, but it seems like they've come a long way, and I'm sure in another 10 years it will be that much better. I'm sure higher CRI at 5000K will be a lot more common by then. In the meantime, I think this will work fine.

In other news, I let the hosting of my website expire, so now none of my photos and other media files I've linked to are available. I'll have to look into image hosting services this weekend and post some new pics, even if there isn't much different than the last batch. I posted a couple of pictures of the lighting on Facebook, for those of you who are my friends on there.

CV #406862 08/28/14 03:56 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: CV
I let the hosting of my website expire, so now none of my photos and other media files I've linked to are available.

You broke the internet.

You don't care about us at all, do you?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
CV #406863 08/28/14 04:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bikers! They are all the same.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #406886 08/29/14 04:36 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
laugh

CV #406887 08/29/14 06:26 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
For those who care, one thing I did find out when looking at LED bulbs is that Cree makes theirs in North Carolina. I'll be buying theirs for whatever accent lighting I end up with.

CV #407240 09/16/14 08:38 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here are the latest pics I've taken, just so there are some pics in the thread again. You can see the LED panels and the slatwall I'm using as my entryway organizer. As far as the entryway, I just need to add a bulletin board and shoe rack bench to make it completely functional, I think.

The home theater aspect still needs a lot of work. One of my friends is coming over again this coming weekend to help build something for the TV mount. The far wall in the top pic is where the TV will end up, but I'll want to place the mount higher than that wall goes up, which means building something.

We're looking at hiring someone to finish the kitchen, since there are some problems we don't really want to deal with ourselves. Hopefully the bid won't scare us.

Page 19 of 41 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 40 41

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters