Re: Lets plan a theater space
AAAA #407035 09/05/14 07:35 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Project was on hold for a bit.... due to wedding and "preparing for house guests". Stupid painting. Anyway, back to the important stuff! grin

AAAA #407036 09/05/14 07:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
YAY!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
AAAA #407067 09/07/14 02:24 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Ok updates.

Scored a beer fridge from the wedding. Cool!

Plumbing in basement ceiling moved. Still need to have an engineer come to site to see the pre work state and confirm methods in person. LVL sunk into joist space is the goal still. Basement foundation crack still needs to be fixed.

After hurricane arthur gave the island a bit of a kicking, I realized how a UPS would probably be a good Idea.

Winter is coming....

I ended up getting a Double conversion online system that feeds my living room gear, Hifi and soon the HT. It is a 20A unit that seems pretty good so far. Probably overkill, but hey, thats part of the fun and madness of our hobby. laugh A cool feature is it gives a live VA reading on loads connected. No more wondering how much stuff draws when in use.

It is located in the mechanical room and acts as a hub for homeruns I fished into the upstairs walls. I plan to use it in the HT as well for the projector, AVR and Amplifier feeds. Capacity shouldn't be an issue unless all 3 systems are running at the same time. Unlikely.

After the storm the neighbor was cutting up a downed tree with an electrical chainsaw in their yard. The lights in my house would dim every time the machine triggered. Can you say volt sag?! crazy

2-5 second power outages and silly voltage fluctuations are common during storms here I guess.

"No Can do" Hall and Oates would say.

AAAA #407068 09/07/14 02:32 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I also found a good vid that explains the process of installing Roxul and hat channel to soundproof/isolate a space. Thought I would share.

Ceiling spaces. pretty much the same but with acoustic sealant applied to penetrations.

AAAA #407184 09/13/14 11:41 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Thanks to Nick's hard work covering cedia for us I'm going to ask for opinions on running future wires for ceiling mounted direct radiators in the mentioned square pattern.

This would yield 7.2.4 "connections" for the distant future acoording to current prices of processors.

Future proofing is a speculative thing due to the fickle nature of electronics trends. With the prescribed "death" of bluray I keep reading about looming, is Atmos a reality for mainstream consumers? What to do?

Krimini!

AAAA #407189 09/13/14 06:05 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Engineer visited! Column removal approved. Waiting on specifics in engineered plan. Should recieve docs in a week or so.

Foundation repair scheduled for later next week. Inspected and repairs are "an easy fix."

Now, time to pony up to sub trades.... Poo! crazy

AAAA #407192 09/14/14 02:32 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now

Future proofing is a speculative thing due to the fickle nature of electronics trends. With the prescribed "death" of bluray I keep reading about looming, is Atmos a reality for mainstream consumers? What to do?

I can't say i've heard about death of Bluray, unless this is a prelude to the new 4k images and a new form of DVD to hold 4k data. However, being truly realistic, of every single person i know around me, neighbors, friends, hockey teamates, etc. i am one of only TWO people to have a 'high' quality 5.1 home theatre system. I don't know of a single person that owns more than one subwoofer nor do i know of anyone who has a TV larger than 50".

Atmos may be coming but keeping up with the Joneses? For over a decade now we already surpassed the Joneses, the Smiths, the Browns, ....
A 5.1 system is still very much the mainstream if not the dream system for most folk. What the electronics can do is advancing fast, but most people can't afford to keep up with, or even enter into the basics of a complete 5.1 home theatre IMO. How much are these new advances even being used?
Heck, i still own a 2002 Onkyo and only now am having some thoughts about changing out the 12 year old 50" Toshiba RPTV for a flatscreen and swapping out the AVR.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
AAAA #407197 09/14/14 10:32 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Can you enjoy HD audio formats over the onkyo? (dolbytrue hd, dts master etc)

If not, definitely time to upgrade. I know what you are saying about the joneses completely. Having moved to PEI, a "good" system here is a HTIB to most.

All my purchases are off island now for this sort of thing. High end audio or reference sound is at best understood here as "it pounds!" from my coworkers.... laugh. This is in regards to their samsung htib, of course. "1800watts!"

Ok, I sound like a snot.

The other day I was asked what kind of soundbar I would recommend to pair with a $2K samsung smart tv someone had. I told them they should be looking into the pioneer designed by Andrew Jones. I think they ended up grabbing a $150 walmart jobber.

Thank god for the internet! Where an audio nerd can find others. grin

AAAA #407201 09/14/14 08:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite

But why do i need those specific formats?
DD 5.1 won't sound any different quality-wise.
I don't have a 6.1, 6.2, etc. system so the extra channels that come with those formats are irrelevant, and being more of an audio gearhead than most folks, this proves my point.

A lot of people don't even have a quality 5.1 system to begin with. Most i know that get into the surround sound buy a small HTIB setup and certainly have no plans to get more than that.

At some point i personally do plan to add two rear surround channels and another subwoofer for a 7.2 system, but that is my limit. Until i get to that point, the only limitation i have with my 12 year old Onkyo AVR is it does not have HDMI. However with the recent purchase of an Oppo bluray player which has both HDMI and component video out connections, i can continue to use the Onkyo for awhile longer yet.
Although i love the idea of getting a newer, larger flatscreen TV (another topic as to why i'm not atm), i was annoyed that to get a bluray functioning i may almost have need to buy a new TV and a new AVR!
So for a $300 bluray player i need to get/replace over $3k in new electronics??!!!

The big killer IMO for new home a/v electronics will come in connection types. They keep coming out with new standards and new connections almost every other year it seems.
A tv that could last 15 to 20 years is now almost defunct after 10 because it doesn't have newer connection types and/or a newer unit may not still have older connection types such that anyone replacing a broken DVDp for example, might be faced with having to buy a whole new TV as well.
Most consumers aren't happy with being pushed into that narrow choice.
It costs alot even at the lower prices at which one can buy a TV today. Replacing electronics at that pace is just stupidity.

Forward thinking; when we bought our TV back in 2002 we at least made sure it had component video in and 1080i resolution capable such that today, we do have a functioning large screen HD tv. Thankfully the brand makers didn't cut component video inputs off at the knees too quickly after HDMI was introduced or that TV would have had to disappear a long time ago.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #407203 09/14/14 08:44 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted By: chesseroo

But why do i need those specific formats?
DD 5.1 won't sound any different quality-wise.

No offense, but you so crazy!

Are we talking downmixed hd to dd5.1? or DVD audio tracks vs bluray tracks?

Take Sin City, dd5.1 vs DTS on the same DVD disc. Same disc, formats sound different.

Or Tenacious D, or many others. If the tracks on a single disc dont match, how can we reason the HD mix would be the same?

When they are mixed for HD audio and channels, they sound much better.

Page 6 of 89 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 88 89

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters