AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (bridgman, dakkon), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13314 Members
11 Forums
22868 Topics
404105 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17765
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13331
CV 11183
MarkSJohnson 10868
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407208 - Yesterday at 06:16 PM Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the...
a401classic Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
girls!

My middle son has put me to a task; find a portable, battery powered sound system that is "louder than what the girls have". I'm getting clarification on what that is exactly, but the story is that on the way to cross country meets the girls have a louder boom box than the boys and the boys are tired of it. Keep in mind these are high school kids... So they have an arbitrary budget of $400 between the 32 of them and (unfortunately) their go-to device is the beats audio beat box at $399, which on a noisy bus will get lost pretty quickly.

A very quick search gave something along these lines: Pyle PA System

Anyone here have experience with battery powered PA systems?

Thanks,

Scott

My HT

#407209 - Yesterday at 06:23 PM Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: a401classic]
a401classic Offline
connoisseur

LMAO... OK, so the boy texted me back... and I quote;
"something like a 8x3x4 piece of junk... but its still better than our 4x4x2 piece of junk, so we get to envy theirs... it looks like a mesh brick"

And this from the boy who placed second in state in an essay contest, holds a 3.9 unweighted GPA and is taking 5 AP classes this semeseter - but plays Stairway to Heaven and Dust in the Wind flawlessly (amongst others), so I will cut him some slack.

The query remains.

My HT

#407214 - Today at 07:46 AM Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: a401classic]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Sorry, haven't bought a boombox since the 80s. I'm holding out for the Axiom gear but volume is no longer a big concern. My neighbors have gotten old. Ya, that's right the "neighbors" have gotten old.

#407221 - Today at 12:50 PM Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: Murph]
BobKay Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Massachusetts Badlands
Scott,
Working alone in peoples' houses all day, (I don't do that any more), I always brought CD's and a boombox. They are hard to find. Sony still makes one (with "X Bass!")

Lots of passing-though other trades guys would ask about it, since it sounded pretty good and played rather loudly. It's about $120.00 American.

Edit: I forgot to include, that, in order to sound that decent, it is rather ghetto-dimensioned. Remember breadboxes? It's about that size.

Edited by BobKay (Today at 12:58 PM)

#407228 - Today at 02:57 PM Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: a401classic]
Serenity_Now Offline
veteran

Loc: PEI, Canada
Was it one of these your boy saw? If so for 400$ he could crush it! grin

#407234 - 39 minutes 20 seconds ago Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: BobKay]
a401classic Offline
connoisseur

DeWalt has a construction grade ghetto blaster available.

Apparently battery life is supreme - there are several options they can check out at brest buy and guitar center.

My HT

#407235 - 36 minutes 2 seconds ago Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: Serenity_Now]
a401classic Offline
connoisseur

no, apparently its one of the pill-shaped devices. That iHome box is about the size of a brick!

Thanks everyone - keep the ideas coming.

My HT

#407236 - 6 minutes 56 seconds ago Re: Mission (not so) Impossible: Be louder than the... [Re: a401classic]
bridgman Online   content
axiomite

Loc: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: a401classic
DeWalt has a construction grade ghetto blaster available.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/radio-charger/922430

Sounds good. Not only does it have up to 78% better sound, the first reviewer seems to have purchased it primarily to drown out their neighbor's systems.

The competing RIDGID radio has a compartment to store & protect an iPod or other sound source, but reviews suggest that neither the sound nor the charger are very good.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-18v-jobsite-radio-generation-2/924829

One of these Bose systems might do the job with the addition of a couple of wheels:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/portable_amplification_systems/index.jsp

... but as long as we're adding wheels, I bet there'll be an M80 variant of the AxiomPlay if you wait a bit. Add metal corners and a couple of solar panels and you'd be set.

Perfect for tailgating too.

Edited by bridgman (5 minutes 10 seconds ago)

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.