Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 41 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 40 41
Re: CV's Subterranean Adventure
CV #409377 01/11/15 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ooooh, furniture! Does this mean you are down to the short strokes on your reno? It must be a good feeling to finally see something resembling the final form of your reno.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #409399 01/12/15 03:05 AM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: fredk
Ooooh, furniture! Does this mean you are down to the short strokes on your reno? It must be a good feeling to finally see something resembling the final form of your reno.

Yes and no. It does get more aggravating because I want stuff to be done, and everything still requires patience.

The place we went to about finishing the kitchen (countertops and sink installation) and carpeting the stairs still hasn't gotten back to us. I'm still debating whether I want to spend so much on the glass door for the home theater equipment closet, and I still need to find someone make the doors for the back side of that closet which faces into the bedroom. I still need to figure out the area rug situation for the home theater area. I still need to figure out seating for the home theater. I still don't know exactly how I'm going to run some of the cabling. My dad's still waiting to hear back from the inspector to have him look under the stairs before we can paint in there and finish that up. Some of the stuff isn't vital and can be fine-tuned over time, but it would be nice to tackle a lot of it before actually living in the space.

Not too productive of a day. After two Home Depots and two Lowe's stores, we came up short on finding everything we needed for the shelving plan. We probably could have had everything we needed if we'd bought some at each place, but we didn't want to buy without knowing if we'd find the rest elsewhere. Really frustrating. It wasn't the ideal shelving plan to begin with, but I can't come up with anything better so far.

CV #409452 01/13/15 06:36 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I know it's probably not everyone's first choice but I've purchased quite a few shelving and storage systems from Amazon. My QS8's still sit on media towers with 5" holes cut in the top (for the record, they've never fallen).

The convenience is pretty hard to ignore.

brwsaw #409454 01/13/15 07:20 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have some sizable shelves that hold a lot, formerly used in a library, but I wanted to go without taking up floor space. See that ledge that goes around the perimeter of the room with the countertop material? I figured I'd put the shelving up in that space, but it's hard to find stuff that's the right fit. I should probably ask someone who makes custom stuff to give me an estimate, see how unrealistic it is. If that's a bust, I'll probably return to the adjustable closet-style shelving with some modifications to the plan.

CV #409496 01/15/15 06:20 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: CV
I'm afraid my A/V receiver may be on the way out. It's suddenly taking a lot longer for it to output audio. I don't think it's anything else in the chain since 1) it happens on both my PC and PS3, and 2) my mains are powered by the ADA-1500, so if it was that or the LFR1100 DSP, the surround speakers would start playing before the mains. I may have to get a new unit sooner than planned. Grr.

My Onkyo TX-NR708 bit the dust. No more sound output. I already got my replacement receiver, though. Really didn't want to buy a new receiver yet, but I'm sure my dad or someone else will be interested in this one when I finally upgrade to an Atmos, etc. receiver down the line. I ended up with a previous-generation TX-NR828. It seemed like the best value, since I didn't want to pay for the newer features that are going to be worked out much better in future models.

Setup went very quickly, but I'll do a more exhaustive calibration over the weekend. Or I may even move the system downstairs. I don't have any seating to speak of yet, but I could always take this much-abused sofa down there until I can afford a replacement. I don't have my area rug(s) yet, either, so it would be a very reflective room. It's hard to wait.

CV #409564 01/18/15 09:23 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I don't have any seating to speak of yet, but I could always take this much-abused sofa down there until I can afford a replacement. I don't have my area rug(s) yet, either, so it would be a very reflective room. It's hard to wait.

I picked up two of the same area rugs from Costco today. I think I chose the wrong color, but other than that, they should work. The basement is the clearest it's been in a while. I hope to have another pic or two to share tomorrow after some more work. I do think I'll move my system downstairs tomorrow, even if some of the setup won't be ideal. I'm thinking I'll just take the chaise longue section of the sofa down since I don't plan on having guests yet. It'll look dumb, but at least I'll have a seat for myself and can start playing with speaker and seating positioning a little. Not that anything I do will be final, since the acoustics of the room will continue to change as it fills out. Here's hoping I can get it done in time to enjoy a movie tomorrow.

CV #409610 01/19/15 10:05 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Nothing is ever easy. I'm using my system a little bit right now, but it took all day to get to this point, and it's not complete. I don't have the rear surrounds hooked up, only one EP800 (since the amplifier on the other one I hooked up seems to have decided to go kaput after being relocated), no Buttkicker(s), and the cables are not even close to being organized and in their final resting places. Only the surround speakers have the speaker wires run properly. The 100 feet of speaker wire from Blue Jeans went too quickly, so I'll have to order more or just pick up a spool locally.

Oh, and the TV mounting bracket wasn't sufficient. It was rated for more weight than this TV, but there must have been some fudging. It was going to warp the metal if we let it. It wasn't the greatest bracket to begin with. The level that was built into it was crooked on the mount itself, so the helpful feature made things more difficult. In any case, I know better than to skimp and get an off-brand now. Hopefully we can pick up a better one tomorrow.

For the right surround, we built this box out of melamine shelf boards:

We made that to rest on the ledge so it would be closer to the height of the left surround, which is more appropriately mounted to the wall. Even though the QS8 hangs out over the edge to give the bottom-firing driver clearance, it doesn't pull the box over. Still, just to be safe, I put my kettle bell in there for now, until I get something else to weigh it down. I'll take another picture of it actually in use tomorrow.

In other news, my dad was able to make the trim pieces to go between the range vent hood and the ceiling out of the bamboo toe kicks for the kitchen cabinets we decided not to use.

I have to go running with one friend tomorrow, then to dinner with another, but otherwise I'll be doing what I can in the basement again. Hopefully tomorrow will consist of less of me having to do things over because I did them wrong the first time. It happened a lot today and yesterday.

CV #409616 01/19/15 03:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nothing is ever easy...

Seems that way some days. Things never go as planed the first time you do something. There is always a learning curve. Its best to go into a new project expecting things to take much longer than they should.

It is also useful to weigh the cost of having something done by a pro vs doing it yourself. Some things are not worth the learning curve.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #409621 01/19/15 03:43 PM

It is also useful to weigh the cost of having something done by a pro vs doing it yourself. Some things are not worth the learning curve.

I'm slowly learning this myself. I have a contractor installing a front door as I type this.

Could I have done it? Probably.

But it's an old house, nothing is square or plumb, and I can't walk away from it halfway through if I run into trouble. More and more, I realize that I have to admit to my limitations and let those with more knowledge and experience just get the job done.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #409623 01/19/15 03:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

I'm slowly learning this myself. I have a contractor installing a front door as I type this.

Could I have done it? Probably.

But it's an old house, nothing is square or plumb, and I can't walk away from it halfway through if I run into trouble. More and more, I realize that I have to admit to my limitations and let those with more knowledge and experience just get the job done.

That's right Mark.
Can you imagine what would happen if Joe Blow just picked up a camera and took photos of anything these days putting pro photogs out of business?
What calamity we would have on our hands. Maybe even websites where people could post their own "pro" photos.
Oh the insanity.
smile

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 24 of 41 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 40 41

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616